Revolution for 100% indoor cats?

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, 

I would like to know what folks here think about this. My 2 cats are 12 years old and have always been 100% indoor cats. The only time one goes out is roughly every two months to the vets for a Depo shot for chronic rodent ulcer. Generally, I like my vets ok, but I always get pushed hard to vaccinate the one that gets the shots - the other cat has never been to the vets as an adult (when I adopted her from the shelter, she had completed her kitten vaccines). That cat is as healthy as a horse. I mean full vaccines, beyond rabies which is law here in Va. My vets insist on rabies every 3 yrs., or they won't see her. Now they want me to switch from Depo to prednisone; (sp? sorry!) dosing 2x a day for a week, 1x a day second week, and every other day 3rd week. When I asked if they've seen good results with the pred, I was told they don't see enough rodent ulcer to know, but it's long term effects are much less harsh than Depo (I know about the potential side effects of Depo, but not pred) Previously we tried laser treatments (most non invasive, my vet IS trying) for the ulcer with no benefit that I saw, weekly treatments that I can't possibly afford. 

This last visit (today) I got the hard sell on Revolution again, this happen every visit too. He feels there could be fleas, a top cause of rodent ulcer breakouts apparently. I have repeatedly told him I've NEVER had fleas in the house since having the cats (12 years), and I have tile floors throughout, even in the living room - no carpet or wood anywhere. The cats also sleep on my bed, I think I'd know if there were fleas. He also said they could have hookworm, etc, and just because nothing shows in fecal tests - even years worth - that doesn't mean the parasites aren't there.

Long and short of it is, I don't want to medicate anything I don't have to. I don't want to put them on Revolution year 'round without evidence of parasites. It is strongly insinuated that I am irresponsible because I resist. Am I? Is Revolution harmless? Thanks for you opinions, I want to do right by the cats, but my gut says "no" to Revolution. Btw, they charge $22 per dose, per cat, but will price match online sellers like Foster & Smith which charge $40 for 3 dose boxes. I will need a second job!

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are very good questions that have more than one answer.

Prednisone is a steroid. I was always told steroids can cause heart, liver, and kidney failure and diabetes, even at low doses, if they are taken too many times. (The definition of too many depends on the cat.) This information comes from my last two vets before I moved to Florida. The only medical reason to give a cat repeated steroids is nothing else works or would work for the cat's particular problem.

Revolution is for preventing fleas, mites, and three kinds of worms from infecting your cat, not primarily an after-infection treatment. Fleas and mites are microscopic in their larvae stage and you can unknowingly carry them in on your clothes or shoes. For this reason, some vets say it is a good idea to give a cat Frontline (which kills ticks) or Revolution (which kills mites) to indoor-only cats for prevention purposes.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,  I don't know much about the meds. but hopefully someone will be along soon that can really help you.

It sounds to me that your vet is pushing things your cats do not need. I think unless there is evidence of otherwise, you should trust your gut feeling. (It's there for a reason!).

You may also want to reconsider your vet, & find a new one that is more like minded w/ you.

Did you read the thread "Do indoor cats really need vaccines?"  It's long, but full of great info.

Good luck, & keep us posted.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,  I don't know much about the meds. but hopefully someone will be along soon that can really help you.

It sounds to me that your vet is pushing things your cats do not need. I think unless there is evidence of otherwise, you should trust your gut feeling. (It's there for a reason!).

You may also want to reconsider your vet, & find a new one that is more like minded w/ you.

Did you read the thread "Do indoor cats really need vaccines?"  It's long, but full of great info.

Good luck, & keep us posted.
I agree it may be time to look for a new vet. I did that when I was unhappy with a vet who did not help Wilbur at all when his mouth was awful.

I started that thread because other peopler said they don't get their cats vaccinated at all, but one vet told me indoor cats can get distemper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He said Revolution was his favorite wormer, so I assume it will also kill any existing parasites? (he had asked how recently I had wormed the cats, honestly, I never have). He did mention that I could carry parasites in on the soles of my shoes - a good point. So perhaps I should give the Revolution the go-ahead. As for the prednisone, one of my concerns was that I've read it suppresses the immune system, and they have told me every visit that rodent ulcer is an auto-immune disease. Also, she has never had the ulcers tested to see if it was something else (she has has these for several years). Now that I stop to think of it, Taz (with the ulcer) was found as a feral kitten. I adopted her from the brother of the guy that found her before her eyes had finished changing color, so I think she was around 10 weeks? I don't remember if he told me she was wormed then, and I never wormed her. Wouldn't it be horrible if she's had some microscopic parasite all this time, and I have only been watching for those large enough to see in her stools? (I didn't know she could have parasites that never showed up visibly to the naked eye). It would be awesome if this could be the cause of her ulcers and be treated permanently, and I will be horrified if my ignorance is what prolonged it. These are my first cats, better to learn late than never!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it may be time to look for a new vet. I did that when I was unhappy with a vet who did not help Wilbur at all when his mouth was awful.

I started that thread because other peopler said they don't get their cats vaccinated at all, but one vet told me indoor cats can get distemper.
Yes, because Angel is a herpes kitty, I do get him the distemper, & the rabies, only because of law.  (one yr. live only!)  Thanks for that thread!! :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He said Revolution was his favorite wormer, so I assume it will also kill any existing parasites? (he had asked how recently I had wormed the cats, honestly, I never have). He did mention that I could carry parasites in on the soles of my shoes - a good point. So perhaps I should give the Revolution the go-ahead. As for the prednisone, one of my concerns was that I've read it suppresses the immune system, and they have told me every visit that rodent ulcer is an auto-immune disease. Also, she has never had the ulcers tested to see if it was something else (she has has these for several years). Now that I stop to think of it, Taz (with the ulcer) was found as a feral kitten. I adopted her from the brother of the guy that found her before her eyes had finished changing color, so I think she was around 10 weeks? I don't remember if he told me she was wormed then, and I never wormed her. Wouldn't it be horrible if she's had some microscopic parasite all this time, and I have only been watching for those large enough to see in her stools? (I didn't know she could have parasites that never showed up visibly to the naked eye). It would be awesome if this could be the cause of her ulcers and be treated permanently, and I will be horrified if my ignorance is what prolonged it. These are my first cats, better to learn late than never!
Have they done thorough fecal test to confirm either way??

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand the feeling of guilt for not knowing something earlier. That happened when I learned about a cat food brand called Weruva that was not sold at my local pet store but available in cases of 24 on Amazon. You just have to remember it is not your fault your vet said nothing about worms before it was too late.

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, my emergency vet - different form my regular vet - is part of a large vet hospital, and is very holistic in her approach. She is the one that introduced me to  a raw diet, and she trained specifically at a feline-only facility. My two regular vets whole-heartedly admit that they are traditionalists, don't believe in or advise raw food, and one was an equine vet before they opened this hospital. That's not to say he isn't a good small animal vet, but he has told me he isn't into technology, doesn't have or use a computer at home, and so relies on his customers to keep him up on the new tends and findings! I was shocked. Maybe it's time to get real and switch. btw, not that it matters, but my two regular vets are married to each other. I truly do believe though that they are always trying to do what they feel is the very best for their furry clients. I will give the revolution a try and consider the preds, and fight the vaccines. If push comes to shove over the vaccines, away I'll go.

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, they have never done a fecal or asked for samples - I only recall parasites being mentioned for the first time on the previous visit to this, but I may have a faulty memory. I have been bringing my cat to them for several years though, and I had to ask the receptionist today what the charge was for a fecal test, because I wanted to bring one in - not because my vet suggested I do. They have never asked me too.

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking about this, and because I don't want to have the cats on Revolution perpetually, like the vet wants, I wonder if I could administer a dose for a month or two to kill any potential parasites, and repeat annually providing there is no sign of parasites in the fecal tests? Sort of like a colon cleanse, lol, but for cats. I really don't want to keep them on meds year 'round that they may not need. My vet says they do need to be on it all year, even if they never go out. Annual dosing instead of all year - bad idea or ok?

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking about this, and because I don't want to have the cats on Revolution perpetually, like the vet wants, I wonder if I could administer a dose for a month or two to kill any potential parasites, and repeat annually providing there is no sign of parasites in the fecal tests? Sort of like a colon cleanse, lol, but for cats. I really don't want to keep them on meds year 'round that they may not need. My vet says they do need to be on it all year, even if they never go out. Annual dosing instead of all year - bad idea or ok?
Annual dosing is OK if the ulcers are not caused by worms. No vet ever told me anything about Revolution so they obviously only worry about fleas. But I would not compare it to a colon cleanse because the cat does not have to drink disgusting powder every 15 minutes!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would defiantly have fecal test done, just so you can confirm, & have piece of mind either way. Another way to cut down on what you track in the house,

is to adopt the practice of removing your shoes at the door. (Also have anyone visiting do the same) This way, it cuts way down on bringing anything in.

I do this, I even have a nice sign I made that says, "We honor Asian Tradition, Please remove your shoes upon entering."  It used to say, "at the door," but

guest felt like they had to take their shoes off & leave them on the porch. "I didn't want any ones shoes getting rained on etc..

The house stays cleaner that way too! ;) 

(If you want I can scan & send you mine, to print out & laminate for your door. :)  Just pm me) 

As far as the vets that don't even use a computer,"shame on them!" They owe it to their patients & families to stay as up to date & knowledgeable as possible!!!

I go to a feline only vet, for that reason. (& there's no dogs to scare my baby in the waiting room). ;)

Maybe you could get your emergency vet to recommend a more "fitting" vet."

At worse, one Revolution won't hurt once a yr, or so.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First off, different medications work best for different parasites. The fact that he is suggesting that you treat without even bothering to test first is a red flag that this is just a general recommendation, the same one he probably tells all his patients. 

My experience is that I ALWAYS know whenever there have been fleas in the house. But then fleas love me and I have a bad reaction to flea bites. If you are sure your cats don't have fleas and they don't go outside, and you don't have dogs that go in and out I wouldn't worry about it. 

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe any vet would not use a computer at home. Good vets do their own research. I used to see a vet who suggested two websites I can learn about hyperthyroidism at.

Last edited:

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know his wife (the partner vet) uses computers - but it is a strange thing, that's why I had to share it.

Melesine, I've decided I'll have the stools samples tested before I dose anything. You're right that he treats Revolution as a general recommendation - he said as much. He also said it didn't matter if fecal tests came back negative for years, Revolution is a good product to be on all year. That would be like my Dr. telling me I should be on antibiotics all year "just in case".

oh, and the two cats are my only pets, unless you consider a billion aquarium fish - lol

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After researching and buying the equvilent of revolution online I do not use it that often.  I have seen more issues talked about with that then advantage and frontline.  No idea why the push to treat for something that don't seem to risky in your cats situation.

Does anyone who works in the field know the markup of revolution cat?  I know the cat version is pricey online.  If it was really the worry of fleas treat a month or two with advantage and dose with a dewormer.  Save the money for true needs.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After researching and buying the equvilent of Revolution online I do not use it that often. I have seen more issues talked about with that then advantage and frontline. No idea why the push to treat for something that don't seem to risky in your cats situation.

Does anyone who works in the field know the markup of Revolution Cat? I know the cat version is pricey online. If it was really the worry of fleas treat a month or two with advantage and dose with a dewormer. Save the money for true needs.

How is it better to give a cat one thing for fleas and another for worms? If you do that, you don't kill mites, which I worry about because Wilbur was allergic to them and had several ear infections. Cats hate to be medicated, so I also would avoid any oral drug if there is a topical version available. Is there another topical treatment for mites?

Chances are if it is pricey online, it will cost a fortune direct from the vet. The whole point of online pharmacies is to save you money.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because mites are not mentioned in the original posting.  Revolution seems to have higher risks in some cats and if the main issue is worms then treat just for worms if fleas treat for fleas.  Seems wasteful to treat a cat for something it does not have and has a low risk to get.  Especially when it goes to the vet regularly.

Acarexx goes in ear and is ivermectin and the leading ingredient in Heartguard for dogs for the heartworms(the other ingredient is for worms)

I have had ear mites ONCE the entire time I have had dozens of cats.  It was brought in by a cat I took off a farm.  She showed no symptoms at initial vet visit for a once over and was not treated.  I isolate any new comers for some time and this cat came with a buddy so they both stayed in my bedroom together.  Within a few days she was rubbing head on ground and her "sister" did the same. 

Took one in got a ear swab and got dx with mites and got sent home with treatment for the both.  NONE of my cats got it but I did go ahead and treat those 2 and waited to see if I would have to hit the rest of the cats with acarexx(vet offered me that choice but said she would go with the acarexx in my situation has in past saw revolution not knock them out and with this many I can't wait and see to long.

Revolution does have another name in another country and like some other meds can be CAREFULLY!!! broken down for people with many cats.