Retained Deciduous Upper Canine

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella Roma has a retained deciduous upper canine. I researched the site and when this has been brought up in the past by others the general consensus was to leave it be. However, it appears that a lot of vets have differing opinions, some as drastic as "don't even wait a day! Bring your animal in immediately!"

Any experience with this?

Tooth Three.jpg
Tooth one.jpg

Tooth Three.jpg

Attachments

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat? Generally the problem is bacteria will gather between the two teeth and cause infection or make it so both teeth are damaged later on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella Roma is about five months old and was just recently spayed. I work for a property management company and came in one Monday morning to the sound of a kitten crying in the columns of a recently built structure. Long story short, I had maintenance gouge holes in the columns so she could be rescued. She's named "Bella" for the property (Bella Vista) and Roma, which is a portmanteau of her rescuers' names, Rodney and Omar. She has been a holy terror from the time I pulled her out of the column.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this sweet kitty. With dogs baby canines aren't usually considered a problem until at least six months. I would imagine with cats it is similar. If you're worried you can always ask a vet what they think. I feel like the internet is definitely more dramatic about it than my vet was when I asked him.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's awfully nice of you, NewYork1303! She was rescued a few months ago and like I said, has been a TERROR ever since. My other two cats have quasi gotten used to her but her manners are still lacking, to say the least.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen this happen plenty of times in kittens of that age. Our young male cat had double canines for several months! In your pictures, it looks to me as though the adult canine hasn't fully grown in yet. As the adult canine grows in, it will probably push out the baby one.

Megsnan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet was able to just push it out with their finger. It will probably come out on it’s own though.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so bizarre! Those photos were taken last night and that retained tooth wasn't loose at all. After brushing her teeth I felt it with my fingers and that sucker was secure. But then when I came home tonight little Bella Roma jumped up onto my shoulder and I peered into her mouth. That tooth was gone!

Whew! I'm so glad because I was worried.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm grateful as always.