Restless Kitten - When does it stop?

andy gren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya, I seek some reassurance/advice as my beautiful 6 month old kitten is slowly driving me insane.

He basically will not be left to his own devices ever. At least not when we are at home. If he's not asleep or eating he will seek stimulation literally all the time. I am playing with him literally for 4 hours every night, punctuated by the occasional nap (him, not me, although God knows I could do with one). He has cat trees, chase toys, balls, grapple toys, automatic wand type things, but yet if I try to sit down and do something else for even 10 minutes first he will meow, then if ignored he will restlessly pace around seeking destructive activities. Or climbing onto the top of the tv, or trying to pull the pictures off the wall. I love him, but he's absolutely relentless. He was neutered 3 weeks ago, no change as yet. He's not agressive, doesn't bite or attack, and only goes to the toilet where he should. All his other activities, eating, drinking, sleeping seem absolutely normal.

If we leave him alone, no problem, no signs of destruction or anything. Most likely he goes to sleep, but if we are there he will not allow us any peace. "Play with me or I'll destroy something is the basic situation". He follows me everywhere too. Basically he seems to have no ability to play independently as yet.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the little bugger, he's a very sweet, beautiful little cat, but I'd like just half an hours rest occasionally. Just have a look out the window, mate. Sit down, chill out - Please!

I mean, I'm still under the assumption this is an age thing and will slowly change, but when......

Tales of reassurance appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andy gren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Yes, I know, he's an antsy teenager. I know what they are like! But my teenagers slept a little more than this guy. I'm sure he'll calm down and, who knows, when he does I'll probably even miss his relentless soul crushing attention seeking, but I do certainly look forward to the chance of finding out...

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I do miss her as a kitten but liked watching her grow up. She used to start from the kitchen,run to the porch window,splat her paws against it,shake her head back and forth,chase her tail,run up the 72 inch tower,go room to room and give a loud meow,then do it again every night. I have so many funny memories. Also vertices or square scratch posts. She like corrugated cardboard,not sisal

Last edited:

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My one year old hasn’t showed much signs of slowing down, it makes me smile how everyday is like a big adventure and it doesn’t matter how much you try and make your home kitten proof they’ll always manage to get into something. We all have days when you get mad enough to say a few curse words, which is kinda pointless because it’s the only time they suddenly act like they don’t know what’s going on, which is understandable - except I have Exotics and they know exactly what’s going on, they’re too smart for their own good sometimes!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually they start slowing down some between 12 and 18 months so you have a ways to go and a kitten who is learning how to get what he wants from humans. First thing I would recommend is that you rotate toys and hold some in reserve for times when you don’t want to be pestered. A newly discovered cardboard box or toy can keep his attention off of you. You might also consider teaching him a game like fetch. It’s great exercise, it totally wears them out and if you toss it far enough you at least get a few minutes in between. Also if he doesn’t have any cat springs pick him up some. Cats and kittens love batting them around and they also make a great fetch toy.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine is 1 and a half now.. and to be honest, he's still very active. He's slowed down a little bit, but I think it's just his personality. He constantly wants to play together and never leaves me alone. I have trouble taking a bath alone haha. I think just having lots of toys around and things he can play with by himself helps a lot

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have an almost three year old and 5 month old cat. My almost three year old cat didn’t slow down till she was around 2 years old. I learned to cat proof lots of things. Doubled sided sticky tape helped to keep her from scratching or climbing on things she wasn’t supposed to. I would recommend rotating toys out. I keep out the basic toys like scratch posts, cat towers, and some play toys around for them however I have tunnels, cubes, and other toys I only take out when I want them distracted or they need some extra playtime. Whenever I take those out since they don’t always have access to it they love to play with it! Both my cats are high energy but having each other helps A LOT! They play together and chase each other around all the time. They are also best friends!

andy gren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's so great to hear from you all. Yes, I know there may be some way to go (sigh!). I probably need to rotate the toys a little better. I have the best intentions in that regard but eventually they all end up out and I have nowhere to turn. The closest I got to an independent play toy was the catit super track thing, but now the little bugger has worked out how to flip the ball out of the track which I had to fetch out from under the sofa 3 times a day until it was eventually lost somewhere. Bought 2 replacements (flashing light jobs) which also disappear under furniture regularly.

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im really hoping my boy calms down too, he's nearly 1 and he's still very very into playing, meowing and just generally being active. He has FHS though, that's another story

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so great to hear from you all. Yes, I know there may be some way to go (sigh!). I probably need to rotate the toys a little better. I have the best intentions in that regard but eventually they all end up out and I have nowhere to turn. The closest I got to an independent play toy was the catit super track thing, but now the little bugger has worked out how to flip the ball out of the track which I had to fetch out from under the sofa 3 times a day until it was eventually lost somewhere. Bought 2 replacements (flashing light jobs) which also disappear under furniture regularly.
My cats liked the ripple rug. Now it's just wand toys. Now that Maggie is 9 yrs old she only likes ground wand toys

Rippls rug - Free shipping | Chewy
There are other brands cheaper

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to get him a little buddy? My kittens entertained themselves but since they both had surgery, and are recovering at different times, Ash is driving me nuts. He will not leave me alone and wants to play all the time. He's bored without his sister, I get it. I know that as soon as she's better, he will stop...at least I hope so. 😂

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties can be leash trained…perhaps a careful taste of the outdoors is an option?

andy gren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's very affectionate actually. Seeks out laps and cuddles when he's not seeking out trouble. I guess the thing is he's always 'seeking' something. It's basically a relief when he wears himself out and drifts off to sleep. I know that won't always be the case and I'll probably miss the activity eventually, but just now he's a needy little monster, albeit an adorable one.