Resourse For Grieving A Failed Rescue

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of an article/site that deals with the grief of a failed rescue ? In my case it was a tiny feral kitten. I've done some searching and can only find pet loss articles. The final image is haunting me along with the "what ifs". Any suggestions would be really appreciated. And loving thoughts for Peanuts. And all feral cats.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of an article/site that deals with the grief of a failed rescue ? In my case it was a tiny feral kitten. I've done some searching and can only find pet loss articles. The final image is haunting me along with the "what ifs". Any suggestions would be really appreciated. And loving thoughts for Peanuts. And all feral cats.
We care for ferals like they're our own pets sometimes, don't we. I just wish they knew that, but I think at some point, they do in their own little feral way.
I don't have resources for you, and I'm sorry about that. My own resource in losing an 8 week old kitten was deciding I had to learn everything I could about cats and their care and husbandry as I could, so I could make their lives better in the future. And what a memorial to that little kitten we lost, not a day goes by that I don't think of him and I know you know how that feels, too.
If you cared for this kitten, and loved him or her then and loved him/her now, there is no failure at all. Bad things happen to good people and little animals that have nothing except the people who love them. I'm not sure what happened to this kitten, but the fact that you're asking for some articles to help you cope makes me think you're a kind person and Peanuts (and the other ferals) are, were, and will always be lucky to have someone like you who cares for them.
Be kind to yourself my friend :wave3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you for trying. I believe the little one knew she was loved.
Thank you. In my shock and grief I'd forgotten until today that while I sat near her trying to coax her closer, I did the slow blink. I also wiggled my fingers and she approached.... a little. Those are the memories I will hold close to my heart. It's just difficult because the sight of her little body when I found her keeps coming in to my head and is so awful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We care for ferals like they're our own pets sometimes, don't we. I just wish they knew that, but I think at some point, they do in their own little feral way.
I don't have resources for you, and I'm sorry about that. My own resource in losing an 8 week old kitten was deciding I had to learn everything I could about cats and their care and husbandry as I could, so I could make their lives better in the future. And what a memorial to that little kitten we lost, not a day goes by that I don't think of him and I know you know how that feels, too.
If you cared for this kitten, and loved him or her then and loved him/her now, there is no failure at all. Bad things happen to good people and little animals that have nothing except the people who love them. I'm not sure what happened to this kitten, but the fact that you're asking for some articles to help you cope makes me think you're a kind person and Peanuts (and the other ferals) are, were, and will always be lucky to have someone like you who cares for them.
Be kind to yourself my friend :wave3:
What a lovely, generous reply. Thank you so much. And I'm doing the same as far as honoring Peanut by working on getting his "colony" T/N/R'd and in the meantime being religious about the edible birth control. I'd given it to one of the servers at the restaurant where they have their nightly buffet after closing, but clearly it wasn't given often enough.