Resident Cat Stressed From Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’ve been rolling and tumbling for the better part of the last hour (I forget how rough kittens can play!). Possy couldn’t help herself, she was right up at the gate watching. All was good until one of the kittens came up to her, she hissed and was off.

If she thinks I’m not watching, she will go watch the kittens through the gate. The rest of the time she watches them from the kitchen about 8’ away. She was hissing earlier today from that distance, but now she’s just relaxing watching with a lot of curiousity.

Really happy with her progress. If all she does is hiss and run away I’m thinking that’s good?

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks so curious about them playing. When we were at the shelter, we were originally set on one kitten - Seti, but Pixie spoke out to us from across the room. Was pawing at the bars on her kennel and meowing at us. After I held her for a little, I handed her back to the volunteer and she jumped down and RAN for the hills around the room, I knew she was going to be PERFECT for Possy. She's got a great demeanor, and so does Seti. Really sweet laid back kittens that want to play.

Possy loved playing with Starlina, but Starlina was a bit old for a 2 year old rambunctious kitty! Especially one with a 'tude. I hope she comes out of her shell sooner rather than later, they are so intrigued by her.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a little bit of progress! Possy went right up to the gate while Pixie was there. She growled and hissed when Pixie came up (who smartly just laid down). Possy did swipe once, but she’s definitely curious.

They are in the room where I have my closet, went to put on my shoes and they filled them with the dry food I left out for them to snack on throughout the day LOL.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I worry about her swatting at the gate a little? She ran off afterwards (much to a pixies dismay!) but I thought it was odd.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so! The kittens are so fascinated by her much to her dismay.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Possy does seem to be getting along better than the other resident cats in other threads! She’s still made a point to come cuddle with me every night. Even if that means passing by the dog and the kittens’ room to snuggle with me!

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just witnessed some interesting behavior. Don’t quite no what to make of it. I brought the kittens into the computer room (large spare bedroom) so they could run around and play in a big space. I cracked the door and put a heavy box behind it since the room was kind of stuffy. Well we were playing with a pencil on the floor of all things and I turn around and there’s Possy looking through the door. Wide eyed but neutral eared. Than Pixie saw her and jumped up on the box to peer at her. Possy started hissing and growling, Pixie just chirped her little hello. Possy swiped but Pixie seemed unphased LOL. Well Pixie came back to the pencil Seti was playing with and than Possy REALLY tried to get into the room. Still some hissing and growling but her ears were normal?

Not sure whether it’s aggression or curiosity or what to make of it.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did some lunging at the gate this morning but her body language isn’t saying she’s being aggressive. Her ears are normal and aside from some tail twitching that seems which is similar to when she plays with me, she isn’t giving signs of being “angry”. I brought the kittens into the large bedroom again so I could clean there room a bit and when I left to dump the litter box Possy was exploding in the room.

Still unsure of her behavior honestly. She’s been spending a LOT of time in front of the gate or watching from the kitchen. Still growling and hissing if I appear but she’s extremely interested now. Seti runs if she growls but Pixie is chirping at her and rubbing the gate.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Somewhat of an accidental introduction between Seti and Possy. I brought Seti into the bedroom and didn’t realize Possy was on the bed. Well he ran to her. She hissed and growled he hissed back. She laid there for a few and then ran off of the bed to her cat tree.

While I would’ve rather seen her love on him, if her choice is to just move away from him, I am thrilled with her first face to face no barrier unplanned introduction. She got lots of treats for that one. Going to be buying some feliway today as well. See if that helps her out.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think Possy might actually be ready to have a formal introduction to the kittens. I had them in the “play room” and I saw her approaching, so I left the door open. She seemed apprehensive. Almost scared. So I put on her favorite Cat TV video on my phone, and she slowly walked into the room. She hissed a bit and the kittens froze, but then she watched the video for a few minutes, turn around and left!
Her curiousity is gaining rapidly and I often find her now sitting in front of the gate watching them play. No hissing unless they get close.

I also had seti up on the counter to give him his eye drops and she watched me do it by my feet with not a peep. She almost looked concerned.

We are thinking of trying a real meet and greet tomorrow morning when the kittens are clam in a neutral room in the house. If all she does in a room with them is hiss and turn around I think she might do alright.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That introduction went soooo sooo well. I brought the two kittens into the laundry room. Then I brought in Possy. Both of the kittens laid down and she went about five feet away and laid down. She was growling a bit but her body language was totally neutral. I saw her exchange eye blinks with Pixie. And as usual she kept shooting them towards me for comfort. I brought in Possys favorite toy and she was playing in a few seconds. Still a bit of growling if she got close to the kittens, but they respected her and she didn’t show any signs of aggression towards them!!!

I’m going to start doing this a few times a day for 15-20 minutes until Setis medicine is complete. It’s a lot easier catching a kitten in a small room than the whole house! Once he’s better I plan on letting them roam while we are home.

MarcEwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That introduction went soooo sooo well. I brought the two kittens into the laundry room. Then I brought in Possy. Both of the kittens laid down and she went about five feet away and laid down. She was growling a bit but her body language was totally neutral. I saw her exchange eye blinks with Pixie. And as usual she kept shooting them towards me for comfort. I brought in Possys favorite toy and she was playing in a few seconds. Still a bit of growling if she got close to the kittens, but they respected her and she didn’t show any signs of aggression towards them!!!

I’m going to start doing this a few times a day for 15-20 minutes until Setis medicine is complete. It’s a lot easier catching a kitten in a small room than the whole house! Once he’s better I plan on letting them roam while we are home.
I'm glad for you, you are doing the right thing, besides, there was a very short time.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad for you, you are doing the right thing, besides, there was a very short time.
Possy is the most "dog-like" cat I've ever met, so it seems like her desire to please me and be around me, overrides her annoyance at the kittens. She does swat occasionally at the gate, but her body language is more timid than anything. In the room, she laid down, and relaxed her tail and ears. She's really a special cat. She also watches them play all the time. I know once she gets comfortable, she's going to love having a cat to play with again.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds really good! Its normal for her to growl and occasionally swat at them, as an older kitty she's telling them what her boundaries are. It can takes months for cats to work this out. I adopted a kitten about a month and a week ago, occasionally my older resident cat still needs to teach her her manners but it happens less and less. I caught him licking her head today :)

Kittens have so much energy, once they get used to being around eachother they just want to play and play and play and sometimes bug older cats, but your cat is only 2 so probably has more patience!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a health issue, and missed a few days, but BOY have you been busy, and all of it good! Yes, I will repeat what has already been said. A certain amount of swatting and hissing from Possy is normal, and actually good, since she will now be teaching them their manners and generally just how to "cat." So long as she isn't stalking the kittens, and they aren't actively afraid of her, they are accepting her as a Feline of Authority in their young lives.