Resident Cat Chasing New Cat

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi from what I have read I would try a couple of things. I would play with Larry and give him a bird watching window/window catio. I have no idea why but my punk ‘hunting’ birds outside kept me from shaving him ;) it also kept him from hunting/annoying his brother. So a couple feeders in a tree in direct line of sight of a window, preferably one you can leave open with a sturdy screen, should help. If you can, you may try taking Larry out for daily harness walks or if you can afford it a catio would be ideal.

I would also lock Larry up in a bedroom for 2-6 hours every day. Same time every day. (Give him food/water/toys/litter box in the room.) That way Gracie knows when it is ‘safe.’ Try to get her exploring/playing around the house. Because my punk was a very jealous kitty about me, if Larry has a favorite person, maybe they can join him in his room? Cuddles and play during his room time should help him not be to crazy when he gets out. Make sure Gracie is in her safe place before you let him out. When you do, play with him immediately or give him wet food... whichever he is more motivated by. Use a large piece of cardboard to block any escape attempts if you have to open/close the door while he is in his room. If it helps him, give him a couple hours of Gracie free time.
:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks danteshuman danteshuman -- quite a lot has happened in the past five months, @mandmcats.

Namely: Gracie now lives with me again. It's a lonnnng story, but it's all worked out. She's happy, Larry's happy (though he still misses her and looks for her!), my sister and I are both happy... and everyone is a lot less stressed. ;-)

We'd actually already tried all the things in danteshuman danteshuman 's post above, to no avail. Larry continued to chase (lovingly), and Gracie was getting more and more timid.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad Gracie is happy. Salem wanted to return his annoying brother for 13 years ... and then missed his frenemie when my punk Dante died. :dunno: I wound up having to give Salem safe places where I would not let Dante attack him. Weirdly enough Dante got along great with Chester my mom’s reformed feral. I guess he wanted/needed a buddy that would beat him up a little if he crossed the line.

Maybe you can try getting Gracie a nice calm/docile 3 month old kitten (that won’t be seen as threat.) Perhaps Larry needs a nice cat friendly hyper 6 month old kitten to play with (you would know the cat’s personality at that age and at 6 months old the teen kitten would be less likely to be injured if Larry plays rough.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL danteshuman danteshuman -- yes, Larry would probably do better with a little brother. We've realized that he needs another big goofball, not a delicate flower, to play with.

I'm only allowed one cat in my building, so Gracie will remain an only child. I think she's quite content not having any siblings. :-)