Resident cat aggressive towards new cat

Kelseypolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have had my first cat, Kevin, for about 9 months and he is 11 months old. Last week we adopted Cash, his litter mate and actual brother. Cash did not like Kevin at first because Kevin was very curious about him. Kev just wanted to play and engage with Cash. After a few days its seems the table has turned...Kevin is not liking Cash. He constantly instigates rough play/small fights(?). Kevin used to be very talkative to me and now he just walks around, silent or acts very sad/mad when I am around him. I know it has only been a week of them being together but will Kevin ever get back to his normal self? Is this just an adjustment period? I would hate for Kevin to forever be mad at me...we thought getting him a play mate would make him so happy as he always seemed sad at home when were were gone to work for the day...

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess is Kevin has now realized his territory is not his own. Hopefully you’ll get helpful suggestions. Until then give him extra lovin. 😊 I only have one cat but she acts the same with visitors! She is fine when they arrive but once they stay overnight … she is in in full “this is my territory” mode.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though they're brothers, they no longer recognize each other after a nearly a year apart. You need to to introduce them together like they are two complete strangers.