Rescue cat - refeeding syndrome?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so she was just picked up by one of the ladies from the shelter who will take her to the vet.. They will check if she has a chip and contact the owner if so.. She might be an indoor-runaway aswell.. I'm so scared she is sick and they will just put her down ๐Ÿ˜ข Fingers crossed for little babygirl who is already missed from here.. โค
So you are not interested in keeping hrI thought you were? After you mentioned fear of" them" possibly euthanizing her I wondering what type of shelter you contacted....I don't know much about Denmark but here in America we have many " no kill" shelters.If this is not a no kill shelter why not offer to take her if they have no room to shelter her or for any other reason they might opt to pts

I'm hoping she's chipped and someone is missing her.... Will we ever know? Did you ask to be updated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did mention that I am interested in fostering/adopt her. The shelter is the biggest animal organization in Denmark. But the lady picking her up, was just transporting her to the vet.. It seemed like someone else would take over from there, making me feel a bit out of control of the situation. But I did make myself clear, that I want to be contacted no matter what the outcome is. So I hope they'll get in touch in an hour or two ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I did mention that I am interested in fostering/adopt her. The shelter is the biggest animal organization in Denmark. But the lady picking her up, was just transporting her to the vet.. It seemed like someone else would take over from there, making me feel a bit out of control of the situation. But I did make myself clear, that I want to be contacted no matter what the outcome is. So I hope they'll get in touch in an hour or two ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ
Okay,great- so now if you don't hear from anyone make a pest of yourself to make sure they understand your interest in adoption.... Did you not sign a release when the women picked up the cat? Some do it ,some don't when a non owner relinquishes custody ..... Please,don't count on fingers crossed with a little life at stake- from one hand to another Id not leave it to chance that my information is received by who needs to have it๐Ÿ‘

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just came to my mind, that as with humans, cats are also in risk of developing refeeding-syndrome if they start eating too many calorie, too fast, when being underweight and malnourished. But this is my first time rescuing a cat, so I don't have much experience.
Cats that haven't eaten for a long time, or that haven't eaten enough food and might be slipping into hepatic lipidosis, feeding should be done gradually.
As you say, this is called refeeding syndrome.
As far as I had read, you should feed such a cat only one third of the required food for his body weight on day one, then two thirds on day two, and the full meal on day three.

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, what a heck of a day. I regret so much that we gave her to that shelter.

Let me start from the beginning, I only gave you the short version of the story earlier. All this startet with my neighbour who has seen this cat almost every day for several months. She's been trying to approach her for months, she was really shy and wouldn't let her close. I've only seen the cat once, like two months ago. Anyways, my neighbour got in touch with this shelter, to borrow a trap for the cat. She made me aware of it yesterday.

And yesterday night, me and my boyfriend took a late night walk, where we happened to see the cat. I sat down and she immediately come towards me, and we got her to follow us all the way to our door (!!) like 50 meters. We then lured her into the carrier and got her all the way home. She spent the night at the bathroom, I was with her almost all the time. She started out very shy, but in the end of the night she slept almost on my lap and I kinda felt I got a bond with her ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I have been in touch with a woman who runs a mini-shelter before, and I was thinking about contacting her. But as my. neighbour was already involved with this other shelter (a larger, much more commercial-like) I though that it was best just to keep staying in touch with them.
I thought in my naive mind (!!) that she would be taken to this shelter to a vet check-up, and then she could come back to be a foster at our place.

It turns out, that when I call the shelter two hours later to get an update (expected them to call me, but no) they basically tell me that I won't get any update on the cat, as the cat is now submitted to the shelter. And the only ยซpossibilityยป I have is to keep an eye on their website to see when(if) she is ready for adoption. I asked her why I couldn't foster her until she's ready for adoption?? And they told me that they don't foster cats, only kittens! That meaning she's gonna stay in a small cage surrounded by a lot of other cats until she is adopted! I was so shocked! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
Been so sad because I feel like I've met her down. I really thought better of this shelter. I regret so much I didn't contact the woman from the other shelter. I am so angry and frustrated now, and I don't know what to do, or if there is anything I can do.

Been thinking about adopting her, but then I'll have to wait until the entire process is ready which means I'll have to wait some time. I want her in my hands NOW and I want it to be ME taking care of her issues, not the stupid shelter ๐Ÿ˜ฉ
Shes probably so scared the little girl, and I'm heartbroken.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely horrible to hear. I really thought she was just going to a vet appointment and coming back home with you ๐Ÿ˜ž
I don't understand why they won't provide updates..
Are they close to where you live?

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely horrible to hear. I really thought she was just going to a vet appointment and coming back home with you ๐Ÿ˜ž
I don't understand why they won't provide updates..
Are they close to where you live?
Yes they are close to my home. But we need to call in to make an appointment if we're interested in adoption. And I guess they'll tell me that she is ยซnot ready for visitation just yetยป because she's still in the process of being cleared by the vet. Meaning that I won't even get no know if she's sick and if they'll euthanize her. The last update I got was from my neighbour, who was told by the shelter volunteer who brought her to the vet, that she just passed the "emergency check" at the vet. And that the bigger examination was going to be later today or tomorrow. We now know that she is indeed a female, and that she is not chipped or ear marked. Don't know if she's pregnant or neutered. Also I'm afraid that if she is pregnant, that they'll spay-abort her. I would foster her with or without a litter. So many disasterous thoughts in my mind right now.

And about the adoption thing, we have two other cats. That's why I wanted to foster and not adopt, even thought I am open to adoption as well. Just wanna make sure the cats get along first. And that she doesn't have any contagious diseases. I am so mad that they don't foster their adult cats? It's so unfair. I'm like trying to help them out. The shelters are swimming in cats these days. Don't know whats wrong with them. The problem with bigger organizations is that everything is so square.

And they just posted this picture of her on their page, where she will be visible for 36 hours or so, to see if any potential owner reaches out.. Which I strongly doubt..

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At rhe wnd of the time frame of them trying to find an owner can you call and set up an appointment each evening for the next day? I would go every single day until she came available but that is just me. Did you ask if you would be getting her back when they picked her up?

I'm sorry this is happening to her she deserves better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg, what a heck of a day. I regret so much that we gave her to that shelter.

Let me start from the beginning, I only gave you the short version of the story earlier. All this startet with my neighbour who has seen this cat almost every day for several months. She's been trying to approach her for months, she was really shy and wouldn't let her close. I've only seen the cat once, like two months ago. Anyways, my neighbour got in touch with this shelter, to borrow a trap for the cat. She made me aware of it yesterday.

And yesterday night, me and my boyfriend took a late night walk, where we happened to see the cat. I sat down and she immediately come towards me, and we got her to follow us all the way to our door (!!) like 50 meters. We then lured her into the carrier and got her all the way home. She spent the night at the bathroom, I was with her almost all the time. She started out very shy, but in the end of the night she slept almost on my lap and I kinda felt I got a bond with her ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I have been in touch with a woman who runs a mini-shelter before, and I was thinking about contacting her. But as my. neighbour was already involved with this other shelter (a larger, much more commercial-like) I though that it was best just to keep staying in touch with them.
I thought in my naive mind (!!) that she would be taken to this shelter to a vet check-up, and then she could come back to be a foster at our place.

It turns out, that when I call the shelter two hours later to get an update (expected them to call me, but no) they basically tell me that I won't get any update on the cat, as the cat is now submitted to the shelter. And the only ยซpossibilityยป I have is to keep an eye on their website to see when(if) she is ready for adoption. I asked her why I couldn't foster her until she's ready for adoption?? And they told me that they don't foster cats, only kittens! That meaning she's gonna stay in a small cage surrounded by a lot of other cats until she is adopted! I was so shocked! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
Been so sad because I feel like I've met her down. I really thought better of this shelter. I regret so much I didn't contact the woman from the other shelter. I am so angry and frustrated now, and I don't know what to do, or if there is anything I can do.

Been thinking about adopting her, but then I'll have to wait until the entire process is ready which means I'll have to wait some time. I want her in my hands NOW and I want it to be ME taking care of her issues, not the stupid shelter ๐Ÿ˜ฉ
Shes probably so scared the little girl, and I'm heartbroken.
That is beyond devastating ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž I am so sorry. In the states they are eager for a person to foster whether its a kitten or a grown cat. And at this point you feel your hands are tied ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”. Maybe if you go ahead and start the adoption process things will move a bit faster and you can keep better tabs on her. Don't give up and don't feel like you have let her down please. You did what you thought was the right thing. When she is with you in your forever home you can give her all the Love she needs wants and desires. Please do the adoption process now that way the ball is rolling.

Feeling your grief and pain from GA in the US ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the thing is that the volunteer that picked her up said that it would be possible to foster her, I just had to call the shelter. And so I did, but it was like getting a door shut in my face. Both me and my BF talked to them today. I'll call again tomorrow, as there might be other there at work.

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is beyond devastating ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž I am so sorry. In the states they are eager for a person to foster whether its a kitten or a grown cat. And at this point you feel your hands are tied ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”. Maybe if you go ahead and start the adoption process things will move a bit faster and you can keep better tabs on her. Don't give up and don't feel like you have let her down please. You did what you thought was the right thing. When she is with you in your forever home you can give her all the Love she needs wants and desires. Please do the adoption process now that way the ball is rolling.

Feeling your grief and pain from GA in the US ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ
Thank you, I won't give up yet โค
I will fight again tomorrow. I didn't sleep last night and I'm having a night shift tonight so I have to try to get a couple of hours sleep now ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik what happens if she didn't sign papers to relinquish the cat? Do you know if they can legally keep her?
I stopped reading here,have not read the other posts YET but I'd be down that shelter raising the roof that I was deceived and did not relinquish MY cat,the cat I Saud I wanted go keep if she did not belong to someone ( microchip) and police would need to drag me out in handcuffs if that cat was not in my arns!!!!
I'd get down there if I were you and speak to someone I'm charge( nicely at first) .... can you reach out to the person you know that owns the mini shelter to assist you- no doubt she is familiar with the local law and your legal rights etc.....

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds awfully like my last experience when I brought a stray in for neutering and adoption at a huge no-kill shelter. They won't give any updates whatsoever, won't let me foster, and said to just check their website for updates on adoption. I still emailed and called them anyway, luckily one staff was kind enough to respond to me privately. When I took in another stray a month later, we just kept him cause we don't want to go through that again lol. Hope everything works out for you and the kitty!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is probably a longshot but could your BF maybe go in and claim she belongs to him?

If they are advertising her as a found cat and she isn't microchipped then in theory theres no way for anyone to provide proof of ownership at this point. Im surprised they are advertising her as found at all honestly since nobdy can provide proof of ownership.

I dont unstand why they don't foster adult cats either. Often adults are the ones who need the socialzation the most. Human contact is crutial to bring out the true personalty of cats that have spent their whole lives sleeping with one eye opened and possably being shooed off with a broom everytime they just wanted something to eat.

Chainreaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay guys, I've not been able to put this away today as I'm honestly pissed off. I contacted the woman I know from the other shelter to see if she had any tips.
She knows about a lot of similar cases with that shelter
Sounds awfully like my last experience when I brought a stray in for neutering and adoption at a huge no-kill shelter. They won't give any updates whatsoever, won't let me foster, and said to just check their website for updates on adoption. I still emailed and called them anyway, luckily one staff was kind enough to respond to me privately. When I took in another stray a month later, we just kept him cause we don't want to go through that again lol. Hope everything works out for you and the kitty!
Sounds like the exact same situation ๐Ÿ˜ฉ