Rescue cat possibly pregnant?

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We used to have a rule of no names because it would make it sadder to give them away, but we always ended up giving nicknames instead so we ditched that rule. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the kittens are 11days old now, I've been weighing them daily at the same time from 3days old.
We have two bigger kittens (which were the first born) and two smaller kittens.
Mamma cat has 3 working teats, the little ones sometimes get pushed out but infact they all do get the opportunity to feed whilst others are sleeping.
Do you think the weights look okay for all babies?
First weight 3 days- Second weight 11days.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! The top three have hit 8 ounces, which is the ideal weight at 14 days. The smallest is 6.9 ounces, which is right on target if not a little ahead for 11 days old. Mama kitty is producing good milk!

Watch that they all gain 4 ounces or about 114 grams each week going forward. They should weigh one pound at 4 weeks; two pounds at 8 weeks, etc., if not more. They are doing great so far! :)

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! The top three have hit 8 ounces, which is the ideal weight at 14 days. The smallest is 6.9 ounces, which is right on target if not a little ahead for 11 days old. Mama kitty is producing good milk!

Watch that they all gain 4 ounces or about 114 grams each week going forward. They should weigh one pound at 4 weeks; two pounds at 8 weeks, etc., if not more. They are doing great so far! :)
Thats brilliant, I was alittle worried about the smaller two.
Sometimes they gain just 7g and then other days it can be 15g. Yet the big kittens seem more consistent with their daily weight gains.
Just a quick question, as their appetite increases, will mama's milk supply? Will there be plenty of milk for the little ones once the bigger kittens have had their feed?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s difficult to say, but can be a concern. You may need to supplement if her milk supply does not keep up, but the better fed mom is, the more milk she is likely to produce.

So have a can of powdered PetAg KMR on hand in case, and mom and kittens can lap it as the kittens wean. Mom can have a dish a day now for extra calcium. Most mom cats keep up, and around 5-6 weeks old the kittens get hungrier and begin trying wet food and kitten chow (which can be softened with the KMR), while still nursing.

Continue weighing the kittens daily so you’ll know, and uneven weight gain is fine. What you want to watch for is a kitten gaining nothing or losing weight. That is cause for immediate concern.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its frustrating coz mama refuses to drink kmr, goats milk, goat yogurt, cheese etc. 😕 The only thing I'm managing to do is crush egg shell in her wet meat.
Her appetite hasn't increased either which is surprising.
I will continue to weigh the kittens daily, none look malnourished, they often look like the have a belly full of milk, mama has been fantastic with them, she spends most her time just resting with them till feeding time, she toilets them, grooms them, she's fantastic 😊

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thing I have noticed today is the smallest kitten keeps meowing alot more than previously, I don't understand why? She's got chance to feed whilst the others sleep, I even put her on the best teats but sometimes she just bobs up and down and doesn't seem interested in feeding. Incidentally her eyes have just began to open, could this be the reason?
She has always been the loudest and fiestest of them all, I can't help worrying about her though, I will be keeping a very close eye out, the thing is when she is squealing mama doesn't seem to know what to do either.
I did stimulate her tonight whilst mama was having something to eat incase she had been missed out and was constipated, no poo's but she did have a wee. (Could this cause a kitten to be meowing and generally fussy?)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unless she’s hungry, she just sounds like she’s going to be a chatty little busybody kitten! :lovecat2:

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unless she’s hungry, she just sounds like she’s going to be a chatty little busybody kitten! :lovecat2:
I hope thats the case and she's just a vocal baby 😊
#dramaqueen

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is tinned tuna okay to give mama cat? Or only the occasional treat?
I've been mixing her wet food, egg shell and just abit of tuna together when she hasn't eaten much and she seems to love it! Not sure if its something you should only give occasionally or its okay if it means her eating more??
Also just ordered a water fountain, hopefully it will encourage her drink more too!

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is tinned tuna okay to give mama cat? Or only the occasional treat?
I've been mixing her wet food, egg shell and just abit of tuna together when she hasn't eaten much and she seems to love it! Not sure if its something you should only give occasionally or its okay if it means her eating more??
Also just ordered a water fountain, hopefully it will encourage her drink more too!
Hi.
The kittens are so cute!
I would say its okay as long as it is more or less just plain tuna. (Eg. not spicy flavoured tuna or super salty oily tuna).
I wouldn't entirely feed her tuna but mixing it in her wet food or as a treat I think is a great idea.
The water fountain idea is good as it will also keep the water circulating and keep the water fresh. 🙂

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tuna is fine as long as she gets her other food too. Most cats love tuna - mine do, and they love the tuna juice also.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
The kittens are so cute!
I would say its okay as long as it is more or less just plain tuna. (Eg. not spicy flavoured tuna or super salty oily tuna).
I wouldn't entirely feed her tuna but mixing it in her wet food or as a treat I think is a great idea.
The water fountain idea is good as it will also keep the water circulating and keep the water fresh. 🙂
Great! Just trying to encourage her to eat more, I wouldn't want her milk supply to run low.
What about the tuna brine, is that OK? Or would it be best to buy it in Sunflower oil?

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuna is fine as long as she gets her other food too. Most cats love tuna - mine do, and they love the tuna juice also.
She certainly does love it, and is eating better now mixing it with her wet food 😊 Is tinned Salmon okay too?

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great! Just trying to encourage her to eat more, I wouldn't want her milk supply to run low.
What about the tuna brine, is that OK? Or would it be best to buy it in Sunflower oil?
I think that Tuna in spring water would be a better option as they brine is extremely salty and not very healthy for cats, but I think that if you mix it in with her food and/or feed as a treat its okay. Not sure about the oil. 🙂