Rescue cat possibly pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that Tuna in spring water would be a better option as they brine is extremely salty and not very healthy for cats, but I think that if you mix it in with her food and/or feed as a treat its okay. Not sure about the oil. 🙂
Will see what I can get in the shops tomorrow, does anyone feed their cats sardines, pilchards anything like that? Obviously I don't want to give her an upset tummy but thought adding something alittle fishy which she can't resist might help. 😉

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Casper was sick and wouldn’t eat, we gave him some liverwurst and that stimulated him to eat again.

Cut a small slice, break it up and put it on a plate and warm it in the microwave oven for ten to fifteen seconds. You don’t want it to be hot. You just want to take the chill off from the fridge so that the cat can smell the food better.

Cats eat by smell as much as taste. (Just like humans.). If food is too cold, they can’t smell it.

When we give Casper his canned food we keep the leftovers in the fridge. If we feed him cold cat food from the fridge he’ll sniff it and have a lick or two but he will let the rest sit until it warms up before he eats it.

No matter what you feed your mama cat, maybe warming it up a little bit might entice her to eat. :)

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Casper was sick and wouldn’t eat, we gave him some liverwurst and that stimulated him to eat again.

Cut a small slice, break it up and put it on a plate and warm it in the microwave oven for ten to fifteen seconds. You don’t want it to be hot. You just want to take the chill off from the fridge so that the cat can smell the food better.

Cats eat by smell as much as taste. (Just like humans.). If food is too cold, they can’t smell it.

When we give Casper his canned food we keep the leftovers in the fridge. If we feed him cold cat food from the fridge he’ll sniff it and have a lick or two but he will let the rest sit until it warms up before he eats it.

No matter what you feed your mama cat, maybe warming it up a little bit might entice her to eat. :)
Thanks, never thought of that. I keep her pouches and tuna in the fridge maybe she doesn't like it too cold then.
She is a fussy little thing, nothing goes to waste here though coz my boy comes along and finishes off hers when she is done haha.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly don't know how I'm going to choose which one to keep, hopefully one will choose us as a family otherwise its going to be so tough when I love them all!
Their eyes are now widely open now and and taking their first wobbly steps. 😊

Attachments

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 3 weeks old now, I plan to move them from their nest box to a playpen in the next few days as they are starting to explore and need a bigger space.
Anyways mama is still stimulating them to toilet, at what point will they start to go by themselves?
Should I introduce a litter tray now? I've got some really small ones.
Will mama teach them how to use it or does it just come naturally to them?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put a litterbox out when they start eating solids. Mama won't want to clean up after them at that point. Digging/burying is somewhat instinctual, but their mom will reinforce that.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Advise needed on weaning please.
The kittens will be 4wks old nxt Wed so its got me thinking about weaning.
What age should I introduce food?
What food would be a good start? (I'm in the uk)
Do i mix it with kmr/ goats milk etc?
Will they start to go toilet by themselves once the start on some food?
Should I be offering them water now in a shallow dish?
Are they likely to have diarrhoea when the first start eating? And if so when does it become a concern?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm really unsure of the weaning process and what to expect.
Is mama likely to introduce them to food?

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

(Except you will not need the bottle as they have a mom.)

Thankyou for the links 😊
Should I not bother mixing any kmr with wet food then? I'm still unsure how to go about introducing it to them?
I got im out for their little social play earlier and at the same time fed mama but they was more interested in finding their feet, they are trying to run before they can walk, haha.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay I've finally got one baby eating wet food and one baby eating dry, I'm so happy 😊 Just two more to go.
Mama has had a antibiotic injection today, she was running a temperature and the vet suspects she's got an infection, Im actually worried with her still nursing and the little ones only being 5 weeks however I've had to put trust in the vet its safe for her to continue to feed them.
Does anybody have experience with this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is safe for her to nurse while on antibiotics. In fact, the little that gets in her milk will offer the kittens a tiny bit of extra protection also. They need to continue nursing for a few more weeks. I hope mom is better soon!

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is safe for her to nurse while on antibiotics. In fact, the little that gets in her milk will offer the kittens a tiny bit of extra protection also. They need to continue nursing for a few more weeks. I hope mom is better soon!
Thankyou, thats reassuring to know. Mama gave us a scare, had to rush her to the vets, her heart was racing and she was breathing heavy. Thankfully she seems to be okay now but she is getting more reluctant to feed them as much, not sure if its coz she's unwell or she's just trying to encourage them to wean.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she feels better, are you planning on fixing her? Oh not sure if you are aware but kittens should stay with mom until 12 weeks old. These kittens do look like purebred bengals to me. Bengals are not the breed for everybody, they are very high energy cats for life (unlike other kitties who mellow out by 7-10 months, still playful but not bouncing off the walls energy level). So make sure that any homes are ok with that and even adopt them out in pairs if possible. If you can get them spayed and neutered that would be ideal. Just have the people pay for it with the adoption fee.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably both, but more so due to fever and not feeling well. Did the vet give her any pain meds?
Vet gave her something for the pain when we arrived but thats it, thankfully today she seems bk to her usual self 😊
She is also on anti inflammatory for 5days.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope she feels better, are you planning on fixing her? Oh not sure if you are aware but kittens should stay with mom until 12 weeks old. These kittens do look like purebred bengals to me. Bengals are not the breed for everybody, they are very high energy cats for life (unlike other kitties who mellow out by 7-10 months, still playful but not bouncing off the walls energy level). So make sure that any homes are ok with that and even adopt them out in pairs if possible. If you can get them spayed and neutered that would be ideal. Just have the people pay for it with the adoption fee.
Hi, Mama is feeling much better today ☺
She is already booked in for her spay when the kittens are 10 weeks old. They will be staying with me till they are 13weeks old, all Vaccinations booked in already.
Two of the girls are going to a close family friend, we are keeping the other girl and then there is just the little boy to find his forever home, don't you worry he will only be going to the very best of homes.