Rescue Cat Or Rescue Us

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you using any Feliway or Comfort Zone plug ins around the house? They sell one for multi cat household now. I use them and find they do help.

You also could try giving Zylkene to the aggressive cat. It might help him.

I wouldn’t rush into introductions. Allow things to settle first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using the regular Feliway but I'm going to get some of the Feliway Multicat and hopefully it will help as we've never had tension like this before. Between the feral cat still adjusting to being indoors and the alpha cat totally freaking out we do not want to rush anything for sure. Everyone is on edge right now and we do need to get things calm before we can go forward. Maybe we can try and give the Zylkene to the our alpha kitty, can't hurt at this point. This is more difficult than I could imagine. Thank you again.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just remember this is all a process. It can take a really long time for a household to adjust to new cats. When I brought my first feral cat inside the house, I only had 1 other cat. It took them a solid year to coexist then another 9 months to realize they liked each other! It was rough times.

Two years after that I brought another feral inside. His adjustment was much easier. I also cared for 3 other feral cats that lived outside on my deck. Last year I moved and decided the feral cats would come inside. It was so hard caring for them and worrying about them being outside. When we moved, I was sure to have a separate space for them with lots of windows. The move was really hard on us all. Yet the cats did pretty well. Their adjustment to inside living was fairly smooth. After living in our new home for 4 months, the cats were coming out of their separate room and all of the cats were co mingling. Then our sweet dog died. She was the caretaker of all the cats. If there was ever a spat, she stepped in and all went calm again! When she died, one of the cats went crazy. He missed her so much. He was the sweetest cat. He started attacking. At first I thought it was just chase and assert dominance. But one day, I found wounds on one of the feral boys. The wounds required vet care ( not fun to take a feral to the vet). I have been through it all with these cats. Things are still not perfect here. I have tried so many things and found some work and some don't. Feliway Multi cat is a must. I have 4 plugged in on my first floor! Zylkene has helped one of my cats. I also use Flower essences in their food and water bowls.

When you are ready for introductions, here are some links and a video. Slow and patient is the best.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions