Rescue Cat Or Rescue Us

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been bringing in little Ivy at night and keeping her separated now for close to 2 months and the stress level with the other cats is becoming more intense. I had to stop 3 of the 4 cats cornering and getting into a fight with the alpha cat. Mind you, the alpha cat has been instigating with 1 of the other cats prior to this. Ivy is quite tame and ready to be indoors but we're still waiting for a recheck for feline leukemia and will need to keep everyone separated for 5 more weeks. While she is in at night if she is not crated she's crying and swatting at the door and I know this is upsetting to not just us but to our other cats. I'm not sure we can ever introduce her to the other cats the way things are playing out as we haven't even tried to put them together. We've reached out to animal rescue organizations; 1 of them after telling us no one had room to foster her right now, suggested bringing her to Petsmart over the weekend for possible adoption but I'm not sure she's quite ready for that either. We feel like we're in over our heads here. We're trying to help this cat who had no one else to care for her and its starting to feel like its coming back to bite us.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What re-testing are they doing? If she came out positive via ELISA, did they then use IFA to test her? Or, are they just waiting to perform the second ELISA with the hopes that she has cleared the infection and re-tests negatively?

If your PetSmart is anything like ours, they would not take her for adoption, as far as I know, if she is being quarantined for a follow-up FeLV testing. You could see if there is more than one rescue program affiliated with the PetSmart (different from the one who incorrectly advised you to take her to PetSmart) that you could talk to. I also know there are 'behind the scene' fosters that volunteer their assistance - kind of like a network of assistants who help the 'official' fosters associated with the rescue programs. I found this out through my Next Door Neighbor web site - so, you might try there as well. Perhaps one or more of the assistant fosters will have a better set up for her until the re-testing has been accomplished.

Where is Ivy during the day? She really shouldn't be outside under the circumstances. And, the in and out might actually be exacerbating the issue with the other cats.

Is there a way to block off an entire section of the house (maybe a hallway leading to her safe room) so they can't be so close to where she is at? It sounds like your other cats are experiencing some re-directed aggression because of their uncertainty/concern over this new mysterious cat. Keeping them as far away from her as possible, and trying to keep their routine as normal as possible may help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
What re-testing are they doing? If she came out positive via ELISA, did they then use IFA to test her? Or, are they just waiting to perform the second ELISA with the hopes that she has cleared the infection and re-tests negatively?

If your PetSmart is anything like ours, they would not take her for adoption, as far as I know, if she is being quarantined for a follow-up FeLV testing. You could see if there is more than one rescue program affiliated with the PetSmart (different from the one who incorrectly advised you to take her to PetSmart) that you could talk to. I also know there are 'behind the scene' fosters that volunteer their assistance - kind of like a network of assistants who help the 'official' fosters associated with the rescue programs. I found this out through my Next Door Neighbor web site - so, you might try there as well. Perhaps one or more of the assistant fosters will have a better set up for her until the re-testing has been accomplished.

Where is Ivy during the day? She really shouldn't be outside under the circumstances. And, the in and out might actually be exacerbating the issue with the other cats.

Is there a way to block off an entire section of the house (maybe a hallway leading to her safe room) so they can't be so close to where she is at? It sounds like your other cats are experiencing some re-directed aggression because of their uncertainty/concern over this new mysterious cat. Keeping them as far away from her as possible, and trying to keep their routine as normal as possible may help.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
Ivy tested negative for FeLv but the vet said she should be tested 2 mos later just in case she was exposed during that time? I'm assuming they did the initial ELISA, but they did not give us too many specifics on that, only that she tested negative and would need to be checked again in 2 mos. She is outside in the day and brought in at night and not happy about being stuck in a room. We try to leave her out of the crate but with all the crying and swatting or pulling on the door we have to put her into the crate where she seems to do better. I'm sure the in and out may be making the situation worse but we felt we had no choice as she was getting into fights at night outside our house quite often and there's also the concern about other wild animals out there. There is definitely a lot of tension and "redirected aggression" going on with the other cats. As far as blocking off part of the house, its a pretty small house as it is, I don't think we can do that.

I do appreciate your input very much, and the information about possibly finding an opening with another foster for her. We don't know what to do with Ivy at this point, she's such a sweet cat but this is causing major problems in our house right now. : (

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A garage (if it is not too hot) that you could abandon use of for a while and make her home there - day and night? Maybe even temporarily build off a section of it so that she has room to roam but stay safe from other articles in the garage? I know it is not a small task, but maybe something that is doable?

It's great that she tested negative, but being outside with other cats around is going to increase her odds of contracting FeLV in the meantime.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The in and out may be the issue. Continuity is important. If she is quiet in the crate then I assume she feels more secure there. When I bring kitties in I give them a permanent crate home that is their sanctuary forever after. They start out staying there, introductions begin there and they can still retreat to that after being integrated later if they wish. This really may just be a matter of getting everyone settled. The other kitties probably do sense her upset and it causes issues. I would keep her inside during the day too if I were working with her. She will have to adjust and it may be stressful at first but you will have to introduce her slowly after her tests anyway. She might settle down when inside becomes home and she feels secure. I know the tradition periods are difficult :alright:but you really are doing the right thing by helping her. You are saving a life. It may feel like you have gotten bitten in the butt now but when everything is said and done, you’ll be very glad you hung in there. The rewards of saving a life outweigh all else. You are one of the good guys! I’m very glad you joined us here.:welcomesign: Please keep updating. I’m sure that many others will be along with more help and suggestions. :hangin::heartshape:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I totally agree that the in and out is part of the problem. She just doesn't understand. I would also choose to keep her inside only.

Another thought would be to build a catio where she could be outside at a later date once she is settled inside.

Allow her time to adjust completely to inside living. Try a feliway diffuser and also look into Composure calming treats or liquid. I found both very helpful when I have brought feral and stray cats inside my home.

It can be very hard to listen to them yowl and howl and even try to escape. But it really does lessen with consistency.

Thank you for helping sweet Ivy. You are an angel to her!

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
A garage (if it is not too hot) that you could abandon use of for a while and make her home there - day and night? Maybe even temporarily build off a section of it so that she has room to roam but stay safe from other articles in the garage? I know it is not a small task, but maybe something that is doable?

It's great that she tested negative, but being outside with other cats around is going to increase her odds of contracting FeLV in the meantime.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we do not have either a garage or screened in patio at our home, I wish we did. We may have to try keeping her in all day and in the meantime maybe we can find a foster situation for her. Thank you.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally agree that the in and out is part of the problem. She just doesn't understand. I would also choose to keep her inside only.

Another thought would be to build a catio where she could be outside at a later date once she is settled inside.

Allow her time to adjust completely to inside living. Try a feliway diffuser and also look into Composure calming treats or liquid. I found both very helpful when I have brought feral and stray cats inside my home.

It can be very hard to listen to them yowl and howl and even try to escape. But it really does lessen with consistency.

Thank you for helping sweet Ivy. You are an angel to her!

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
We may need to rethink the in and out and try keeping her in day and night. I'm putting Zylkene in her food at night and I do have a Feliway diffuser in the room she is staying in. Neither seems to help much and we end up putting her in the crate and she quiets down after that. Thank you, I appreciate your input very much.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
The in and out may be the issue. Continuity is important. If she is quiet in the crate then I assume she feels more secure there. When I bring kitties in I give them a permanent crate home that is their sanctuary forever after. They start out staying there, introductions begin there and they can still retreat to that after being integrated later if they wish. This really may just be a matter of getting everyone settled. The other kitties probably do sense her upset and it causes issues. I would keep her inside during the day too if I were working with her. She will have to adjust and it may be stressful at first but you will have to introduce her slowly after her tests anyway. She might settle down when inside becomes home and she feels secure. I know the tradition periods are difficult :alright:but you really are doing the right thing by helping her. You are saving a life. It may feel like you have gotten bitten in the butt now but when everything is said and done, you’ll be very glad you hung in there. The rewards of saving a life outweigh all else. You are one of the good guys! I’m very glad you joined us here.:welcomesign: Please keep updating. I’m sure that many others will be along with more help and suggestions. :hangin::heartshape:

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
The consensus seems to be we are needing to keep Ivy in entirely. She does seem to do better when she is in her crate; we will try and work with her over the weekend and see how she does. I'm hoping this will work so we can get back to the delicate balance prior to all of this. Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it so much.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Zylkene for a cat that is unsettled and it works well. Yet on my feral cats it did not work at all. I found better luck with Composure. I also found when using Zylkene it often helped to give it 2x a day for awhile and then back down to once a day. With the Composure I found the Composure liquid max worked really well. I used to double the dose (per directions on the bottle) during the day time and then give a normal dose at night. This was magic for one of my feral boys.

I think you often have to try different things and find what works for your cat. I really hope you can keep Ivy inside 24/7. I think it will really help with her progress once her environment is always stable.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Zylkene for a cat that is unsettled and it works well. Yet on my feral cats it did not work at all. I found better luck with Composure. I also found when using Zylkene it often helped to give it 2x a day for awhile and then back down to once a day. With the Composure I found the Composure liquid max worked really well. I used to double the dose (per directions on the bottle) during the day time and then give a normal dose at night. This was magic for one of my feral boys.

I think you often have to try different things and find what works for your cat. I really hope you can keep Ivy inside 24/7. I think it will really help with her progress once her environment is always stable.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been keeping her in over the past couple of days and it hasn't been easy to say the least. Unless she is in her crate she cries and swats the door to be let out of the room on and off for hours; yesterday she finally got tired and fell asleep in her crate. Gave her the Zylkene which basically did nothing. I may get the Composure or I was thinking about maybe trying some hemp oil. I hope it gets better soon. Thank you again for your helpful advice, I greatly appreciate it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try giving the Zylkene twice a day. I found that to work better. I also have used CBD (hemp oil). I find for anxiety issues, it really doesn't work that well unless you can get stronger stuff. I live in Ohio and do not have access to it. I do find that CBD works well on arthritis for my older cats.

How often do you go in and visit her? Do you have any calming music playing? I used to play a soft rock station or the favorite was cat harp music I downloaded from Amazon.

Spending special time with her and bringing special treats along with each visit too. She needs time to get over this hump. It will get easier within a week.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try giving the Zylkene twice a day. I found that to work better. I also have used CBD (hemp oil). I find for anxiety issues, it really doesn't work that well unless you can get stronger stuff. I live in Ohio and do not have access to it. I do find that CBD works well on arthritis for my older cats.

How often do you go in and visit her? Do you have any calming music playing? I used to play a soft rock station or the favorite was cat harp music I downloaded from Amazon.

Spending special time with her and bringing special treats along with each visit too. She needs time to get over this hump. It will get easier within a week.

TerriK

FeralFIV+4
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually listen to new age, smooth jazz or classical music for studying; I prefer listening to relaxing music myself so I usually have that on in the house and its small so she can definitely hear it.

I gave up on the Zylkene entirely, I was giving her a double dose at a time and it didn't seem to make any difference. I may not get the hemp oil then; I found on Amazon 1500mg & 3000mg oil for cats and dogs.

I go in to see her as much as I can throughout the day and evening too. Sometimes I want to spend time with her but she's fallen asleep and I hate to wake her. I haven't been giving her a lot of treats just holding and cuddling with her mostly and playing with her with some toys. She's young so she does enjoys playing with her toys. After just a couple of days she does seem to be doing much better actually.

We're going to take her to the vet for another Feline Leukemia test-her 1st was negative and the vet feels that the 2nd test will be too.

After that we're want to try and socialize her with our other cats. We've been concerned about doing this, and now especially with the alpha cat who's acting out quite a bit; she was getting agitated last night as Ivy was crying in her room. My husband was brushing the cats yesterday and when he went to brush her she bit him and broke the skin. She has been difficult before this but only with hissing and sounds of being annoyed mostly with us or the other cats. She's never bitten us or any of the other cats before. Also there was an altercation just 3 days ago; 1 of the other cats got into it with her and then the 2 other cats joined in; it was bad enough without anyone being hurt. Prior to this the alpha has been instigating things with the 1 of the other cats. We have much trepidation here. : (

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you using any Feliway or Comfort Zone plug ins around the house? They sell one for multi cat household now. I use them and find they do help.

You also could try giving Zylkene to the aggressive cat. It might help him.

I wouldn’t rush into introductions. Allow things to settle first.