Rescue Cat And Fleas!help!

Hayley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I was wondering if there is any advice or tips with trying to flea treat a rescue cat please?
We have had our cat Sisi now for about four months and flea treatment is becoming a real problem to administer!

She seems to be scratching alot around her neck today but where she is not very trusting of us having a closer look I'm a bit concerned the flea treatment isnt working? The last time she was treated she got very stressed out and I really want to make this process as stress free for her as possible?
Any suggestions or ideas would be really appreciated :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, the best option for fleas is whatever treatment your local vet recommends. The topical name brands really are quick and effective (just some aren’t as effective in certain regions, Frontline does nothing where I am but others parts of the world it is great). You do want to stay away from the store brands or generic as they tend to be not as safe.

Once the treatment is applied, wash blankets and bedding in hot water with an extra rinse. Clean the carpet. Vaccum all corners and cloth covered furniture. Usually the flea treatment and laundry will handle 90% of the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hayley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Kieka
Thank you for your advice, I think I may need to change her flea treatment as I believe it may be a store one, so thankyou.
Do you have any tips on how to administer the treatment without stressing her out too much? As I want to make this a quick and stress free process as possible for her.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on the cat. I have three and each react differently to putting on the treatment. I tend the go right at the base of the skull as between the shoulder blades usually ends up with someone licking it (at least for me). One boy doesn’t notice so just put it on. The other one huffs but doesn’t care too much. I just need someone to hold him and toss a treat his way when done. My girl.... she’s trouble. It I have time, I wait until she is on my lap sound asleep and pet the spot then apply. She seems not to notice and doesn’t even wake up, but she is dead to the world when she’s deep asleep on my lap. If she’s more alert it’s harder. I either have to get help and have someone hold her or I have to basically trap her between my knees when I am crouched down and hold her chest with one hand while applying. I usually follow the more traumatic ones up with a treat and in a few hours she is fine. I wait until she is asleep whenever possible.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also remember- fleas permeate the whole environment, not just the cat! I use food-grade diatomaceous earth (a non-toxic fine powder) to clean my carpets and cat trees in case of fleas, and then I wash all the my bedding/cat beds.