Replacing sisal rope on cat tree posts - help needed!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have absolutely shredded the rope on one of their cat trees. The rest of the tree is in great shape - it's only around 6 months old :rolleyes: - so I want to replace the rope rather than chuck out the entire tree.

Getting the rope is no problem - I just don't know how best to attach it. Has anyone done this before, or know how best to do it? All suggestions will be much appreciated :)

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be able to get replacement sisal posts from the manufacturer of your tree. I've done this twice: just went to the website of the manufacturer, found the section about replacement parts, then selected my model and then what parts I wanted. It was super easy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll definitely try that hellomisskitty hellomisskitty , but I'm not hopeful - I got the tree off Ebay cheaply, so am not convinced that spare parts will be available. I'd also like to avoid having to take the whole tree to pieces and reassemble it...it was a bitch to do the first time around! :rolleyes::lol3:

Edit - just checked. The tree is originally from an American company via a 3rd party seller. The manufacturer does do replacement posts, but doesn't ship to the UK :slant: Even if they did, the shipping costs would be crazy!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
In another thread on here someone suggested using a hot glue gun.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting :think: I think I'll have to do some research into glue guns. I've been wondering about getting one for a while anyway. Just worried about ultra clumsy me burning myself with it :rolleyes2

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just did this.  Start with a heavy duty stapler.  Get one from Home Depot or Lowes or other big box home improvement.  I have a "cable tacker" that has a little hump in the middle of the staple.  Put several staples on it and also a bead of glue.  Then just start winding the sisal around and around and around.  It help to lay the tree on it's side and get a stool so you don't have to kneel or lean over.  Secure the bottom the same way, with a bead of glue and staples.  Buy the 3/8"  sisal if you can.  Any smaller and you will be winding until your arms fall off.

Last edited:

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can use a glue gun, but you want to be able to remove the shredded sisal again.  I would just go right over the original with new sisal, tacked top and bottom with heavy duty staples and a bead of glue.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What Catmom said ^

I intended to use staples, but, didn't want a cat pulling one and accidentally eating it.  I used roofing nails instead to get started and to finish.  I smeared construction adhesive all over the pole (liquid nails).  And then wrapped the rope really tight.  Couple of roofing nails at the beginning and the end keeps it all in place.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you @Catmom Marcia and @BassCat
Just what I was looking for!

Just ordered the sisal rope. The cats will be so happy to have it replaced -they both LOVE that tree
WEAR GLOVES!  (The rope needs to be tight, so, you have to pull pretty hard and keep tension on it when wrapping it while it slides through your hand).  That rope is very coarse and the strands will tear up your hands.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's trickery too!  Sisal trickery! 

I had two, 100ft rolls.
Had a 40" long piece of 4x4 post.  I cut the corners off a little bit to make it "more" round. To get rid of the sharp corners so that the rope wouldn't try to bulge out and be loose on the flat parts.

I ran out and had to get into that 2nd roll before I finished.   It's trickery!!!  Takes a lot more rope than I had imagined. 
Of course, the math is right there, and can be done, but....it's a scratching post!  "Winging it" almost made it one of those projects that would have never gotten done.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm lucky, i think, in that the posts that need redoing are quite small. This is the tree in question (at two months old here, would you believe :rolleyes: ) :-
View media item 328552
Hoping it will be relatively quick to do :cross:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::lol3: I'm not sure that a 14yr old BSH or a 2yr old DSH count as kittens though :bigwink: I have a sneaking suspicion that tiger cubs would be less destructive than my two VERY determined scratchers :lol: