RENAL / IBD DIET

swinters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Need some guidance for my daughter's 10 ye old cat. He's high normal in his kidney function and having chronic bloody diarrhea. She's only had him a few months, and took him to the vet was told more than likely IBd after stool test and blood work. He's on a probiotic, but he was recommended Royal Canin Renal HD dry food. Any suggestions in wet food, and just suggestions in care and diet in general?

Last edited by a moderator:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For kidney problems I think the more wet food and the less dry, the better. But that's only if they'll eat it! If he's high normal (still WNL's) it's great that it was caught this early.
Would your daughter consider getting a water fountain for him to entice him to consume more water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swinters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Can you get the canned version too? It might be easier for him to digest (less carbs).

There might be additional information here,
8 month old with IBD

Regarding his kidneys, this site is very comprehensive, but it might be something to look at;
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview
No it only comes in dry, so I was just wondering what is more important in a wet food? The renal care or the HD for the IBD?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swinters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For kidney problems I think the more wet food and the less dry, the better. But that's only if they'll eat it! If he's high normal (still WNL's) it's great that it was caught this early.
Would your daughter consider getting a water fountain for him to entice him to consume more water?
I'm sure she would. Thanks for the suggestion

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll need to talk with your vet more about how best to address the two issues. Additionally there is a support group on felinecrf, and I think one of the two IBD sites mentioned in that thread I linked for you above --or both possibly also have support groups that might be able to give you a little more specific nutritional feedback.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No it only comes in dry, so I was just wondering what is more important in a wet food? The renal care or the HD for the IBD?
In your case, if this food turns out to be beneficial for your daughter's cat's IBD, then caring for that is the bigger goal at this point. There are products like phosphorus binders and other similar toxin removal products that can be added to his regimen to help with the kidneys - if/when it is deemed necessary to do so.

As far as the moisture goes, you can try adding water to the dry food and see if he will eat it that way.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she do a UA test? Thats the best way to check for CKD. Honestly for ckd you dont have to switch to any renal food until stage 2+ and some do fine with feeding some of the lower in phos weruvas. Has she tried weruva for him? Their website shows the phos levels, you wanna feed under 0.80% :)