Removing Tear Stains From Persians

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i am - i ordered some just the other day! will let y'all know how it works out...
well, it helps more than anything else i've tried...anyone know for sure it won't hurt them to ingest it? 'cause, of course, Pixel has attempted to wash it off after every application!
she REALLY doesn't like for me to put it on her, but she's like that about anything - meds, baths, vet trips, me picking her up - she likes being brushed, & that's about it for routine care.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just try and keep them busy right after I apply it either by feeding, or playing, or putting out a new cardboard box. Just anything to get them focused on something other than "nasties on my face!!!". Once their brain switches gears they forget all about it.

On the Eye Envy website there is a pop up with "Instructions for use on cats" and right at the bottom it says Do not ingest.

I've put in an email asking about it and will report back when I hear what they say.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Reply from Eye Envy:

"No worries, on the licking it off after being applied. It won't harm them. The "do not ingest" is intended to mean not to drink it or put in the water/food. It is a topical cleanser."

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

Reply from Eye Envy:

"No worries, on the licking it off after being applied. It won't harm them. The "do not ingest" is intended to mean not to drink it or put in the water/food. It is a topical cleanser."
thanks! i was pretty sure it wouldn't be a major problem, because, i mean, really - how would we keep them from it? Pixel's stains have responded better to this than anything else i've tried. i think hers are bad because her tear ducts are blocked...that's what a vet told me. he said if she ever had another surgery, they could fix them while she was under. but, luckily, she's been a very healthy cat!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Eye Envy on Olivia....works a treat!

jules walker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a pedigree white Persian cat. She is seven years old now. The problem is that her eyes get terribly stained on a daily basis.

I have used so many products, vet eye cream and prescribed medications.

NOTHING has been successful on a long term basis, one product came close by the name of "BRIGHT EYES"

For some reason this is no longer available on the New Zealand market.

I have since found a HOME MADE remedy that has made a vast difference and hasn't made a dent in my wallet.....Here is the recipe.

In a plastic jug add 1/2 a teaspoon of honey, a pinch of salt and 1.x cup of boiling water. Mix thoroughly and allow to cool.

Place this liquid mixture into a squeeze bottle with a flip top lid.

Squeeze onto a cotton pad and GENTLY wipe the eye area of your pet in one direction as not to irritate the pet.

The results are great after two to three days you will see a difference - repeat this daily.

m abbott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Pewter Persians both have white faces and I use Kleen Face once a day although if the cats face is quite badly stained it can be used twice a day you can buy it online it starts to work in less than a week but you do need to keep using it

cadj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got an Exotic Shorthair kitten with white fur on his face which stains from his tears. Have been using Eye Envy liquid followed by the powder exactly as per the directions being super careful not to get any in his eyes. After an application though I noticed his eyes would be rimmed pink and water so badly he could hardly see. Decided to try the stuff in my eye to see if it really is as stng free as Eye Envy claims. The liquid is no problem-just reminds me of saline for contacts, but the powder is absolutely not sting free. I hardly used any on my pinkie and barely touched me eye and it felt like sand in my eye. Then intense stinging began to the point that tears ran fown my cheek.

Has anyone else noticed their cat's eyes turning and watering profusely after applying the powder??
I was going to through the powder right in the garbage but my husband suggested keeping it to use as a laundry stain remover for white loads.

cadj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*my eye not me eye
*turning pink not turning

Shoulda proofread!

m abbott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 Persians 2 with white faces and one in particular has very runny eyes which stain his face I never use any powder anywhere near his eyes as he has extremely sensitive eyes I only ever use a liquid cleanser

Harry used to be a show cat and I have in the past used the powder when I was showing him but not now my vet told me to clean their eyes using plain boiled water which I do first and then I use a cleanser on his face and very carefully around his eyes

dee0526

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 This works the best tried everything!   1 cup boiling water, 1 teas boric acid powder, (safe) 1 teas witch hazel, (safe) and 500 ml of fish mox, purchase on line along with boric acid is hard to find.   put it in sterile sprayer.    Use until emptied and apply with cotton balls, perfectly white.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have in the past used Eye Envy. I always used the one that has to be refrigerated - seemed to work better. I stopped using it though when I found out it contained an antibiotic. I thought if my cat wasn't sick, why medicate it? We control the staining by simply wiping, but I do have something I use before a show for the face. For the record when I use powder on the face near the eyes, I always apply with a make up brush. Dip it in the powder, tap off the excess and apply, sparingly.

biliwalla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,
I have not found any this as defined by some of you in the market place. Even I tried to find boric acid in liquid. Is this alright to improvise some thing? What about rose water and dry boric acid mix? There is only availability of boric acid in dry/ power form.
Your help would be apprised. I have a pair of Persians they are 2.5 months old now.

Last edited:

m abbott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use something called "Kleen Face" it says for dogs but you can use it for cats too 

I buy it from E-bay and to start with it is a good idea to use twice a day it doesnt work instantly so you may need to wait but once you can see it working you can probably get away with using it once a day

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why not use Baby Shampoo?

It's too close to their eyes to use shampoo.

And contrary to popular opinion and advertising, baby shampoo is just as irritating as regular shampoo. It just has an added numbing agent that prevents the irritation from stinging.

Even in the grooming shop we do not use shampoo on the cats head- that is just wiped with a wet washcloth.

I've been meaning to update- I received my Eye Envy and I am sold on this product. It lessened the amount of staining on Rochester's face after only one application. I used to have to clean his eyes at least twice a day or red gunk would crust up and now I can even skip a day.

Eye Envy works!
I'm about to adopt a new shaded persian baby and his eyes are a mess! The breeder is an elderly woman and I'm assuming she hasn't been able to clean their eyes as regularly as she would like. At 3 months old the kitten already appears to have a lot of staining on his face. I'm wondering if this product will clean all these older stains?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about to adopt a new shaded persian baby and his eyes are a mess! The breeder is an elderly woman and I'm assuming she hasn't been able to clean their eyes as regularly as she would like. At 3 months old the kitten already appears to have a lot of staining on his face. I'm wondering if this product will clean all these older stains?
Are you sure that the kitten is otherwise healthy? This is a big red flag to me. This is basic care that the kitten has not gotten.

Last edited:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that the kitten is otherwise healthy? This is a big red flag to me. This is basic care that the kitten has not gotten.
I was actually worried about this myself. I have not seen him first hand yet. I'm going to look at him Sunday. The breeder said he's had all his shots and has never been outside. What should i look for & what types of questions should I ask to determine if this could possibly be an indication of deeper health issues?

I'm relatively new to the Persian world. I've always admired the breed & am finally at a point where I can have them. I got 2 himmies a year ago & just added my first solid persian a couple of weeks ago. But none of mine tear at all. But mine don't have flat faces either. I know the flat faces will contribute to more tearing.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was actually worried about this myself. I have not seen him first hand yet. I'm going to look at him Sunday. The breeder said he's had all his shots and has never been outside. What should i look for & what types of questions should I ask to determine if this could possibly be an indication of deeper health issues?

I'm relatively new to the Persian world. I've always admired the breed & am finally at a point where I can have them. I got 2 himmies a year ago & just added my first solid persian a couple of weeks ago. But none of mine tear at all. But mine don't have flat faces either. I know the flat faces will contribute to more tearing.
You need to ask a lot of questions.  Can you see the pedigree?  How many litters do the moms have before they are retired?  How about the dad?  Does she only breed registered cats?  The breeder should be able to tell you about their health histories as well.

Also look around the breeder's house.  How many cats does she have?  Is it overwhelming?  Is it clean?  Is each cat getting the proper care and socialization that it needs?

If I were you, I would walk away from this situation.  A reputable breeder wouldn't be showing photos like that to a possible buyer.  It says to me that her cats are not getting the care and attention that they need.

siggymauw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi we used to have two Persian cats and they would get these red stains that were impossible to keep clean. Then I read an article how red beet used in kitten kibble as food coloring can turn the tears a pink reddish color. We switched them to a different kind of food and they stopped having those sticky tears.

m abbott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I have 4 Persians one ( Harvey )  is more flat faced than the other 3 but he doesnt have nearly so much trouble with tear staining Harry my largest cat is the worst one for tear staining he is 10 next month and has always been the same very often I clean his eyes twice a day and he is very prone to ulcers in his left eye too  My other Pewter Persian Oscar sometimes has a few problems and Cindy Harveys sister does not have a flat face but her eyes are constantly weeping so it doesnt always mean that the flatter the face the more trouble they have with their eyes