Relocating with a severely neurotic cats

noxcnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am graduating from college and preparing to make a move, but I am very concerned about how 2 of my cats are going to handle things. I could really use some advice, if anyone can relate.

I don't know what happened to Minna or her brother Mr. Mistoffelees before I adopted them, but they are both severely neurotic. When I first adopted them it took them two weeks to come out from under the bed and 6 months to earn their trust, which is still limited. They still run under the bed sometimes if I get up too fast, make a loud noise or enter a room while they are sleeping/relaxing. When I took Minna to the vet she freaked out so bad that she urinated and defecated all over herself in the carrier. She hid under the bed for days when I moved the couch to the other side of the living room and set up a computer desk, because the change was too much for her. Mr. M is a little better, but he broke the door off my first cat carrier when I took him to the vet because he was freaking out so bad. 

They have lived with me for 2 years and this is the only home they have ever known. I have no idea how they are going to deal with moving to a new environment and really need to find a way to make it less traumatic for them, because I'm sure they have had all they can take for one lifetime.

I was thinking that maybe they should be sedated with the kind of meds they give to people who are moving their pets across states. They would sleep for the actual move and the effects would last a couple of days to help with some of the anxiety. Keeping them in just one room with food, a litter box and their favorite blanket for a few days (or maybe in the bedroom so they can stay under the bed?). Keeping them separated from the other cats, because they have a special brother/sister bond. I can't think of anything else...

Any advice?

Last edited:

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely keep them in a small room when you get to your new house, for several days at the least. Try the bathroom or a spare bedroom. How many cats do you have? Cats really don't mind being enclosed in small spaces; it actually helps calm them when they're changing environments.

I wouldn't keep them separated from the other cats if I were you, but you could certainly do that if you think being around the other cats would only stress them more.

I've never used sedation medicine so I can't comment from personal experience, but I do know that there are significant downsides to its use, including irreversible side effects in rare cases, but also that some people swear by it for traveling with their cats. I really think it depends on the cat's personality, which drug in particular you're looking at, and how much of a risk you're willing to take.

Finally, welcome to TCS!! :wavey: And good luck with your move!! :vibes: If you want to make a thread in New Cats on the Block we'd all love to see pictures. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noxcnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats. Minna & Mr. M are brother and sister, like I said. Miss Mollie and Kilo are unrelated, but they are both bold and fearless. Neither has any trouble adapting to change and like to get in the middle of everything. Mollie is the alpha cat and she tends to get a little aggressive sometimes, so I don't think it's a good idea to confine her to a small space with all the other kitties. Kilo would do fine, though. I have used sedatives before, but only after having a full exam done of course. I do worry, since Mr. M has FVR, that it may not be an option without putting him at greater risk. Though Minna will just freak, I know it. I've never met such an anxious little girl...

Thanks for the advice, I hope it goes well because I love my little babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noxcnx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I would need to see Dr. Davis before giving Mr. M any sort of sedative, because I really have no clue how it would effect his FRV...

Last edited: