Relocating litter box?

suestelladeville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a litter box I would really like to relocate but my cat Sue seems very determined to keep going to the bathroom in the same spot, whether there’s a box there or not!

Probably about 8 or 9 months ago she started pooping in a random corner of my apartment, on the floor. I eventually just put a litter box in that spot, which worked. But this corner is in a frequently used living space for me (right next to where I sit to work all day, and not far from where I eat my meals) so it’s really not ideal. About 4 months ago I moved the litter box into another room and put aluminum foil down in the corner, and that worked well for a couple months. But Sue eventually figured out that the foil was harmless and just started pooping on the foil.

I got tired of picking poop up and replacing the foil constantly, so the box is back in that corner for now but I would really rather not have it there. Does anyone have any tips for moving it back into the other room and for keeping Sue out of the cursed corner? For what it’s worth, my other cat is very good about using the litter boxes no matter where they are.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does anyone have any tips for moving it back into the other room and for keeping Sue out of the cursed corner?
I think your cat is confused about having her litterbox moving all over the place. You can move the litterbox back into the other room but this time round, do it slowly as in not all of a sudden from the current place to the room. Move the litterbox one feet at a time over the few days or week so that your cat can adapt to the change without her noticing so much that the litterbox is moving else in her confused mind, she'll poop or pee wherever is convenient to her as like the current place.

So move it slowly till eventually it is in the room. Don't rush through the moving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suestelladeville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! That makes so much sense. I will definitely try moving it more slowly this time. I have also heard about litter attractants you can add to the box to try and entice the cat to use the box so maybe I will try that as well. Thanks for the advice!

dividedsky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any way to add a liter box to that room? Top entry maybe would be a compromise if she'd use it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is that wall facing?

For example, is it a next-door neighbor and hallway wall or an inner apartment wall?

Did you try cleaning the corner with enzymatic cleaner so that it doesn't still smell like poo (to her)?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a litter box I would really like to relocate but my cat Sue seems very determined to keep going to the bathroom in the same spot, whether there’s a box there or not!

Probably about 8 or 9 months ago she started pooping in a random corner of my apartment, on the floor. I eventually just put a litter box in that spot, which worked. But this corner is in a frequently used living space for me (right next to where I sit to work all day, and not far from where I eat my meals) so it’s really not ideal. About 4 months ago I moved the litter box into another room and put aluminum foil down in the corner, and that worked well for a couple months. But Sue eventually figured out that the foil was harmless and just started pooping on the foil.

I got tired of picking poop up and replacing the foil constantly, so the box is back in that corner for now but I would really rather not have it there. Does anyone have any tips for moving it back into the other room and for keeping Sue out of the cursed corner? For what it’s worth, my other cat is very good about using the litter boxes no matter where they are.
She is acting just like my cat peaches. She uses the litterbox where I am so bedroom and dining room which is never used in my apt. If odor isn't a problem try putting it in your bedroom. Cats mostly use the box when I get up and night time so odor has never been a problem