Relocated Colony

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I hope someone out there that has experience can offer me some advice. I have a small stray colony of 6 abandoned cats in an enclosure we built for them in my backyard. The time has come to release them, as they have been in there for almost 4 weeks. As expected, I am afraid to open the door to let them out. Is there a protocol for this? Best time of day? All at once, or one at a time? We are not far from their old neighborhood, and I am naturally worried they will try to return. The only thing I am sure of is that I will need a lot of tissues!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they now spayed/neutered and vaccinated? Micro-chipped or ears notched?

Are they all feral? Are any of them adoptable?

Do you want to keep them living in or near your yard?

If so, continue feeding them next to the enclosure, or even inside it but with the door open.

For release, I would leave them food, then leave the door open around sunset, and let them choose what to do.

Feed them again tomorrow to see who comes back or sticks around.

Let us know how this goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding! They are all spayed/neutered, but no ear tipping,as they were pet cats at the time. I don't think they are chipped. All are very adoptable, but I tried that before considering relocation. They all lived together until my neighbor moved about 2 years ago. They just left them behind, so I started feeding them. When I had to move due the house being sold for tear down, I went back every day to feed and water them. Then it was time for demolition and it became too dangerous to leave them. I wish I could bring them all in, but I already have 5 cats, and my daughter and son-in-law have 2. I would love for them to stay close by, but right now, I can't afford the cat fence attachments, and my landlord would not approve. I am having major issues with bringing myself to open the door, but I know that I have to. Thank you for your advice! It is very much appreciated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
marie846 marie846

This is so sad! I don't blame you for not wanting to open the door.

Do you have a local no-kill rescue that might take them in for adoption?

Or any friends who could foster or adopt even a couple of them?

Do you plan to continue feeding them?

Where are you located?

It seems they will be confused if they have no place to go and no one to feed them. They will face a tough life!

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a very sad situation. I am in Tampa, Fl, and all of the no kill rescues are full. Too many irresponsible owners! I tried every avenue that I could think of for foster or adoption. No luck. Of course I plan on still caring for them! I have grown to love Friend, Squeakers, Little One, Bob, Walter and Fluffanutter! I will continue to try to find homes or rescues (no shelters!) for them. I will be here for them, but I am afraid that they will be confused. That is why I have kept them contained for 4 weeks, the recommended time for relocation. All I can do is pray that will come back. The door is still closed!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Howdy, neighbor! I'm in St. Petersburg. Our rescues are full too right now. I have 5 cats of my own, along with 2 from a friend who passed away. Looking for a home for those two.

How large is the enclosure? I'm thinking you should keep them longer and explore more options.

Do they seem content in the enclosure, or restless to go?

Last edited:

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! Small world! The enclosure is only about 4'w x 6'l x 6'h. I couldn't afford more materials to make it larger. I would love to keep them longer, but some of them are getting antsy, and my landlord can't find out. Why can't more people be cat friendly?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand. I think it's terrible when people abandon their pets when they move.

Hopefully these cats will stay in or near your yard, and stick together.

When do you plan to open the door?

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, not exactly. My neighborhood is fairly quiet. I don't know if you are familiar with Tampa, but my street is only about 4 blocks from S. Dale Mabry Hwy. We are just outside of MacDill AFB. They would have to cross Dale Mabry to get back to their old neighborhood. The morning and afternoon base traffic is bumper to bumper. Where they where before was only a few yards from Dale Mabry, and they stayed away from it. I am just worried that they will try to cross to go back.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about relocating cats, but I'm thinking you could do it late at night when there is not much traffic, and leave plenty of good food in the enclosure so they keep coming back to eat.

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I opened it this morning after their breakfast. I am leaving the door open for now, then I will start putting their food just outside the enclosure. This was on advice from a lady from Cat Haven Rescue. Thank you for your good wishes! So far, they are exploring and coming back.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
good luck! i am a little confused as to how you can have all these cats plus this colony with a not so cat friendly landlord.. but bless your heart!

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi kittylove! Haha! It isn't easy! He knows about the ones inside. He isn't happy about it, but he knows. We paid a hefty pet deposit. I also have a 115lb dog, and my daughter has a chihuahua. Luckily, he is one of those landlords that only stops by when he absolutely has to. We just held our breath while they were in the enclosure and hoped that he wouldn't have to come over for anything. Now, if he sees the enclosure, we will just tell him that it is for a garden that we are going to plant to keep squirrels, possums, and raccoons out, or so that we can bring the bunny out. These kitties were important enough to me to risk it. Their lives depended on it.