Rehoming some cats, and I feel horrible.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are having to rehome some of your cats, I hope you can find them suitable homes :alright:

It feels awful having to rehome cats, I had to rehome my boy years ago, due to my then-boyfriend clearing off and I had to move back with family members cause I couldnt pay the rent on my own, and family members did not want a cat in the house and forced him to live outside while a new home was found for him, I still miss him even now :alright:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Our society has a smudge on the idea of rehoming and while I understand it's bad if people do it simply because they get "bored" of an animal, etc, in the event where you are doing it for your health/the wellbeing of that animal, I want you to know that i think it's one of the most admirable things you can do, and one of the hardest. Rehoming will always break your heart but please don't feel horrible. You're doing what you believe is right for your animal in this situation. You are not a bad person for this. Don't let anyone tell you that you are. You're not

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You rescued ALL of these cats; I have a hard time with my two cats that I rescued. It’s totally understandable that you need to rehome them— and if they’re going to friends, maybe you’ll get to see them once in a while. It sounds like you aren’t doing something cruel but something (initially painful) that will benefit everyone.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry you are going through this. I pray each cat finds a safe home. Don't feel guilty, I was really close to rehoming my babies because I thought I was developing breathing issues. I understand your pain and fear. Why dont you try reaching out to some senior living places and see if they want a resident cat? so the seniors can have someone to give them company.

Has anyone used this website: Find Your Pet A Loving Forever Home

I found it after a google search. If you are a part of a church/community, maybe reach out to them to see if anyone can rehome your babies. Maybe they can help with a cleaning crew for your home to get it back to good shape. If you don't ask for help, no one will know you need it.

Please let us know how you and the kitties are doing.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone.

Unfortunately, I am struggling to find homes for the cats I am looking to rehome. Going through my network and my friends and friends-of-friends, I've only successfully found a home for Peridot. I'm still waiting to hear back from one more person, but I don't have my hopes up.

What are everyone's experiences with shelters? I'm now to the point that I am considering reaching out to my local no-kill shelter for help, but I'm not sure what the process is or what questions I should ask. The idea of my cats being scared and stuck in cages makes me so sick, but I'm not sure what else to do other than what I am doing now. Would it be a good idea to reach out to them, or should I just try to suck up my current situation and see if anybody eventually expresses interest? I'm extremely uncomfortable with social media and don't want to try to rehome through Facebook or Craigslist or the like, I'd really prefer somebody who has a clue (like a shelter) do this if possible.

If I do reach out to them, I think I should do so soon because if they don't have a waitlist now, they definitely will when kitten season starts.
I used to work at a shelter and it all depends on the shelter and what they can offer. Usually, there is a quarantine time and evaluating the cat's behavior and the cat needs time to adjust so a cage is very likely initially. Some larger shelters have large cat room where they can be together and free to play. Look for rescues who have fosters? Look on Facebook for rescues, rehoming sites in your area.

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi becareful if the shelters one time my friend brought her cat to a shelter then decided to take it back the next day… the shelter euthanized the cat. Also some shelters sell the animals to laboratories. Unfortunately that is true it does happen. Please be careful who you give them too thinking it will be better yet sometimes it’s for the worse… I know you love them because you have so many. If some don’t get along or have potty issues . Maybe buy the cat cages online the ones that the veterinarian offices uses. It’s like 3 feet high and 4 feet wide a litter box food and a little cuddle bed could fit along with 3 ledges so they can jump up. I had one for my toxo cat who I had to keep in it until she was clear of toxoplasmosis. She was fine it was near a window and she loved looking outside. It’s just a suggestion to make things easier for you. I have two cats that are so friendly and I can pet them but can’t pick them up either. And when medicine comes it’s hard to treat but I manage with salmon treats. So sorry your going through this ..

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C CodyMolly I'm sorry. I don't think it's particularly helpful advice in this situation. The individual is struggling with the level of care needed for 10 cats. She needs advice on how to find good homes or resources to reach out to.

ElizabethP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only some of them. I'd like to get down to five, but it depends on what homes I can find. I want to make sure that any home they go to is a good fit and that it will be hopefully better than what I can give them.

I'm hoping I can stick with people I know or people my friends know well so I know they will be going to good homes that fit their personalities. It really sucks, but some of the cats I'm closest to are the ones I think would adjust better to a new home.
Goodness me, you are such an amazing cat mother :) I am so in admiration for your having 10 cats - we have 5 and that seems a lot - and rescuing them and keeping them safe and loved. Finding them their next home must weigh on your mind so heavily; it does mine as I have a difficult cat situation at the moment with two, and might have to futurely consider finding one of them another home. Even the thought of that brings me out in a cold sweat and - like you - I would search long and hard to find them the absolute best home ever where they would be well loved. Good luck in your search and sending all best wishes.

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I know some didn’t like what I had to say before … but I am only speaking the truth.. I know it’s very difficult to rehome your pets and if I didn’t have so many I would adopt yours since you’re in need. Maybe some cat lovers on this site can adopt. I pray that god gives you the strength and guidance for these little souls.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might be helpful if you gave your location. It seems that conditions/procedures at rescues/shelters differ greatly. Here in the area along the New Hampshire Massachusetts border most rescues are "no kill" and scenarios such as CodyMolly describes are unheard of. Again, I ask you to contact a small volunteer "no kill" rescue and explain your situation.

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love animals cats dogs everything… I feel so bad for these little souls who end up in the wrong hands. Not all shelters are bad.. agreed but I am not sure anymore this world has become topsy turvey and my trust has vanished

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please see attached from PETA it does exist..Cats in Laboratories | PETA
PETA also operates under the ethics that no one should have pets, and has been caught taking "rescues" and euthanizing them due to this belief.

PETA does not believe in any type of animal ownership under any circumstances and thinks pets are better off dead.

PETA's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad History of Killing Animals

Euthanasia At PETA’s “Shelter” Still Occurring At Alarming Rate

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd provide an update, but not too much to say so far.

Peridot is still lined up to go to my friend's, but it hasn't happened yet.

I submitted rehoming applications for Henna, Shiloh, Treble, and Mosaic through the shelter I mentioned. I'm on a waiting list, but it sounds like the procedure will be that I will continue to house them as a foster home, and then I take them to the shelter on the weekends so people can see them. I think that mostly gets over my horrors of them being trapped in cages until they find a good home, but it will definitely be time consuming on my part since the shelter is an hour away one-way. We'll see how it goes when they get to me on the waiting list, it could be a few weeks, perhaps months.

The other decision I am trying to make is what to do about Mosaic. I originally picked those four because Henna, Shiloh, and Treble are reasonably socialized cats and I was hoping they could be adopted out in pairs, but Mosaic is not friendly and may be actively aggressive to people she doesn't know. Based on my conversations with a couple of volunteers, it does not sound like she will be a good fit for rehoming through them. I'm leaning toward just keeping her and settling with six cats for now, but that makes it impossible for the others to be rehomed in pairs. But maybe that was a pipe dream anyway.

I have not taken Mosaic off the waiting list yet, still trying to decide. I figure I have time.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C Cataria Big hugs and lots of love for your very difficult decisions.

Do you think perhaps you can advertise that Mosaic needs an experienced, patient cat owner? She may settle yet with a more relaxed home (I would think to say probably no children or other pets also).

Will the shelter allow you to know in advance what days they will show them off? You could perhaps advertise them online with their needs known for these dates. Doesn't hurt to advertise them anyway. People who weren't looking before, may be looking now.

If you're comfortable with it, you could also let the shelter know that you could have limited virtual meetings with potential families through the week. We "met" our cats this way during COVID. Then the people go to the shelter to fill in their background checks and forms.

The virtual meeting was invaluable to us, as it allowed for us to hear the foster carers take on the personalities, and what the cats needs might be to settle in well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some updates.

My friend that offered to take Peridot unfortunately backed out, so it looks like I am keeping him for now.

Henna, Shiloh, and Treble went to the shelter on Friday. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I can't stop beating myself up about it. They scheduled two hours for the drop off appointment, but yet I was still in and out of there in less than ten minutes. My expectation was they would actually spend time talking to me about the cats, but that's not what happened. They wouldn't even let me touch them "because they might scratch me." I didn't even get to say good-bye.

Back at home much to my surprise, Mosaic is the cat that took their disappearance the hardest. She spent a couple days following me around the house and hissing at me, but she's acting more normal now.

When I talked to the foster coordinator before taking them, I also had the expectation that I was fostering them and they would be coming back to my house on Sunday, but when I checked in, they said it would take at least a week to go through the foster approval process. I asked if I could come visit them, and they said sure, *after* they were posted for adoption. It's been a week and they still haven't posted them, so I still can't go visit them. :/ Hopefully soon though. I've asked for updates and they said they were pretty scared, so I feel even worse for just leaving them like that.

I still haven't heard anything more about fostering yet either, but I realized today... Maybe fostering is no longer a good idea. The cats at my house seem to have adjusted to them leaving, how would they react if they suddenly came back? Would they actually be happy to see them, or would they smell too strange and react like I was introducing new cats to the house? If they came back on Sunday like I expected it would have still made sense, but now I'm not sure it will necessarily work anymore.

Additionally, if I foster them, they will have to stay in cages when they are at the shelter (and I know they have separated one from the other two because there's not enough room for all three in a cage and I feel sick about it), but if I don't, they will be able to run free in the cat rooms all of the time, which I think would be so much better for them.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C Cataria Sending you lots of love and peace. I'm so sorry that you were treated so poorly when only trying to do the right thing for beings that you love.

It might be hard for you all to have them go back and forth. I don't think I could handle that personally.

It's a beautiful idea to have them run around the cat room and be together all the time. Whatever you decide, I hope you can get updates still.