Reduced appetite due to stress

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On and off over a year or so I ve had issues with Psycho who is indoor only and his appetite. He is still playful and active just not interested in food. This happened once when we moved , then our neighbor ( we live in a duplex with a common entrance ) had a baby and now we have a feral in the yard. I ve taken him to the vet each time Vet did blood work , exam and even an ultrasound once. Can t find anything physically wrong. Only conclusion is it s psychological. Guess I named him right ... The Vet gives him a Cerenia shot for nausea cause he cruises the food but doesn t eat . Then I give him Mirtz usually just once and he s ok.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you give us more information?

How old is Psycho?

Is he a naturally anxious cat? 

Does he have other symptoms of anxiety at the moment? Over grooming, scratching more than usual, is he being more vocal than usual? Is he being more aggressive with you or others? Is he repeatedly checking the windows and doors for the feral cat? Does he find it difficult trying to settle?

The Cerenia works for him?

I'm really sorry, my google- fu failed on "Mertz".

I'm concerned that the vet may have missed something and that this time it may actually be a diet related or health issue, particularly since I am assuming he is an older cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Psycho is 9. He does check the windows a lot and now when I walk him on his leash the feral meows at him and he meows back and then the feral follows us. No aggression however. The both spray the same bush like they are communicating .
He has been on Prozac for several years because of his anxiety and we ve tried to wean him off several times but he becomes very anxious . His quality of life is not good when he is off the Prozac.He is not aggressive at all and other than the reduced appetite he s fine and doing everything else normally.
After the Cerenia shot he started eating 3 hours later and has continued to eat normally since Tuesday.
We have seen this Vet for 8 years and I trust him and his assessment. He is very thorough and I know Psycho and he does not appear sick in any way. The Vet told me to watch him and let him know if there is anything else unusual.
Sorry about the Mirtz I meant Mirtazapine .

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh I see, poor little kitty.

You mention that Psycho has had problems eating for about a year. I've read that the one of the most common side effects of Prozac is anorexia, another is nausea and if an anti- nausea drug helps your kitty, well... Perhaps you should talk to your vet about decreasing the dose or changing him to another anti- anxiety medication? 

I know a few short term methods of getting an anorexic kitty to eat such as heating up the food to bring out the aroma or mixing wonderfully smelly sardines in spring water, or sprinkling a little bit of treat on to top of food but I've never had to deal with long term anorexia. I highly recommend you try the extremely knowledgeable people in the nutritional sub forum. 

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that tip I will try the Nutritional Form . We have altered his dose over the years and when he s off the drug he s a nervous wreck. My Vet said to leave him off would eventually kill him. Stress will do all sorts of things to the body . 2 yrs ago he was off and we had to board him for 5 days because my father in law died . He developed a UTI so $1500.00 later he was back on Prozac. Since then there has been maybe 3 times he s been off his food but that s corrected with medication . I agree with you that the Prozac is probably upsetting his stomach from time to time but the alternative is not any better. I have discussed other medications with the vet but he feels the side effects are less with Prozac . The one beginning with an A Amptryline long term can cause heart problems.
Thank
You for being so kind and listening and not judging me for keeping him on the drug. Others have and that really doesn t help. We love him very much and his life is very Happy .Thank you Again for your kindness.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty is so pretty, what a beautiful cat. 

I don't think anyone here would judge you, particularly knowing your kitty's history.

I'm sure you are aware and have tried behavioural stress management but just in case you've missed anything, here is an article with tips to try in conjunction with the medication.

Six Surefire Strategies to Reduce Stress  in Cats

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Psycho has only 4 teeth left. He gets them cleaned once a year . For the last 2 years since his UTI he gets a B 12 shot once a month so he is seen by a Vet Tech monthly. Then he gets 2 wellness checks twice a year . I know I am overly obsessive about him and try to be proactive with everything . Maybe too much so. The Vet knows this about me and he is very understanding.