Reduced apatite 2.5 days after deworming

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings,

2.5 days ago i gave my cats (3.5 kg + 4.5 kg) a dewormer (Caniverm Forte Tablet per 10kg 0.7g) i split the pill and crushed it then mixed with gimcat paste and sandwiched it between 2 piece of dry food, my cats ate it but some are left, so i would say each cat maybe ate 3/4 of the crushed pill, then i gave then their dinner.

the next day they wouldn't eat, almost a 22 hours later they ate some treats and a bit of food, the next day was a bit better but my 3.5 kg cat are refusing to eat the dry food she love so much, and the gimcat paste also, she is has always been a picky eater, could she have hated everything i used with crushed dewormer?

they are acting normal and drinking and peeing normal, but they have a noticeable reduced apatite since the deworming

i clean their litterbox and didn't find any worms in their waste thought i didn't look too hard

could the dewormer harmed them? this isn't the first time they are dewormed they never reacted like that

thank you

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you researched the paste? I've never heard of it, but even if it's supposedly OK for most, I imagine some (especially young or old ones) might have some issues. But I also wouldn't fool around for long as they did have procedures done and the vet should be told about the symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you researched the paste? I've never heard of it, but even if it's supposedly OK for most, I imagine some (especially young or old ones) might have some issues. But I also wouldn't fool around for long as they did have procedures done and the vet should be told about the symptoms.
the paste was recommend to my by the vet, I have been using it for years

so almost 3 day with low apatite is not normal after deworming, right?
I weighted them today and surprisingly they are the same weight

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if 3 days 'off' is normal or not - you need to call the vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What you want to avoid is hepatic lipidosis setting in if your cats continue to refuse food. You are at day 3, and day 5 is usually the cutoff warning date. I am not saying that this will happen, but you want to proceed with caution.

Will they eat anything else aside from their regular food?
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
Some products mentioned may not be available where you are, but most should be. Let your vet know if this continues and inquire about an appetite stimulant like Mirataz or mirtzapine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you want to avoid is hepatic lipidosis setting in if your cats continue to refuse food. You are at day 3, and day 5 is usually the cutoff warning date. I am not saying that this will happen, but you want to proceed with caution.

Will they eat anything else aside from their regular food?
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
Some products mentioned may not be available where you are, but most should be. Let your vet know if this continues and inquire about an appetite stimulant like Mirataz or mirtzapine.
thank you for the reply, they were eating a bit of dry food and i was giving them liquid treats (2 satchel each) every day so they have some calories in them, one ate some wet food the other -the 3.5 kg- refused it but that to be expected with her, she is a difficult cat when it come to food
since yesterday night their apatite improved greatly, and today they ate their dry food like the usual, so I think we are fine now

thank you