Redirected aggression - very stressed

Furballsmom

Cat Fan especially Black Cats
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Reaction score
Some people are telling me this is impossible to fix and one will have to go
It's absolutely not impossible to fix. A ArtNJ has you on the right track, I promise. Ignore anyone else who has negative input about this including your vet, and focus only on a positive outcome. Your cats are sponges for your emotions, and how you feel can make a very big difference in how you approach this as well as in how they perceive their world.

Also try some cat music - there's Spotify, youtube and Alexa, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources which can help mitigate any residual feline tension.

I apologize but I ran out of time and wasn't able to read every post so I don't know where this aspect stands. You mentioned earlier that you were wondering about removing the stray cat from outside?

Not only remove him/her permanently (s/he could be sitting in the next yard over and the wind could blow the scent right to your door), but do your best to remove all scents of that cat from your property. Lemon scented furniture polish can be used fairly effectively. Cut up some waste cloth, spray the pieces liberally and scatter them right in front of that door and also around the yard. These will need to be maintained/freshened.

I'm sending all sorts of positive thoughts and vibes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AndreaFiona

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, and sorry I haven't replied. It has been a busy week. Ok so where we stand now are that the cats can easily eat treats from under the door together and will even bat paws back and forth in a casual and friendly manner. I can also put both in a carrier while the other runs loose with no hissing and they will just peer in quickly and resume eating treats, milling around, etc.

The aggressor (Ivy) acts a bit weird when Fiona is in the carrier. She looks a bit TOO long and a bit concerned (I hope I am reading her correctly). So I keep it short and separate them.

The long weekend is almost here and I will be home most of the time which is a bit stressful for me as I am exhausted and just want to relax. I don't plan on pushing much this weekend and will keep them separated mostly with a few carrier times and more treats under the door.

Does this sound ok? I will watch for the stray and I guess I can buy a trap if needed but I just can't afford much more money sadly. Because of COVID I don't think the usual rental places are renting things (the only places I could find renting them around here were animal control and they suspended that with covid).

Andrea

Furballsmom

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Reaction score
Hi!
Does this sound ok?
It does, because while often we're almost totally focused on the cats and their emotional states, yours matters just as much :)

You could try rescues/shelters and see if you could borrow one possibly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AndreaFiona

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Just an update. I have put Ivy (the aggressor) on Prozac. She’s on day 9 of taking it. The cats are still separate but we have many interactions throughout the day. Usually when I am home in the evening I have Ivy in a cat carrier on the couch beside me (with the door open) and Fiona sits on my lap right beside her. Fiona will even go in the carrier and greet Ivy and they will groom.

In open spaces though both are slightly nervous of each other. Tonight a car outside revved really loud and both panicked. Ivy dove under the coffee table and Fiona took off. However she quickly came back and approached Ivy like a Halloween cat. Huge pupils, poofed fur and skittering sideways. Ivy did not respond. I picked up Fiona and she immediately relaxed. I put her in the bathroom for awhile and put Ivy back in the carrier with the door closed. Fiona came back out and was relaxed with Ivy and greeting her through the carrier door.

Is this something that will go away with time do you think? Im not sure if I prevented a giant fight by picking up Fiona or if Ivy was just never going to respond (thank you prozac).

Furballsmom

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Reaction score
That halloween cat pose can often be an invitation to play, which is what I think may have been happening here since she relaxed so quickly when being picked up.

I think you're doing a great job, and they're lucky to have you. I think over time they will be ok :)

klunick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
That halloween cat pose can often be an invitation to play, which is what I think may have been happening here since she relaxed so quickly when being picked up.

I think you're doing a great job, and they're lucky to have you. I think over time they will be ok :)
I often wonder if the halloween cat pose with kittens is involuntary. The first time Gracie did it, she had a look on her face like, "Uh Mom, what is happening to me??!!" and Boone was looking at her like, "Girl, what the heck is wrong with you??" :lol: