Redirected aggression...I think??

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Hi all. I've checked with my pet insurers and they will cover the cost of x rays and further tests such as mri's. Genie had been a bit better, but still no purring, still over licking me and still no playing. Then earlier she was sitting next to me, I was talking to her and she just bit me and started hissing at me for no reason. I shouted at her....I know this is not what you should do but I'm under a lot of stress at the moment, some of it caused by this. I was crying and she came to me, being all nice, like she was saying sorry, but just started again. So I've shut her in a dark room to calm down. I'm going to book her into the vets on Friday and go from there. I'm very scared I might lose her if it's neurological. 
Good to know you can have things looked in to more thoroughly at this stage and know the insurance will cover.  How painful it is to see your cat behaving so differently and for so long, and particularly when her behaviour is not pedictable.  Sending good vibes for Friday and her remaining calm for the experience as well as finding out some reason for what has been going on.  I know I would be afraid of what answers might come out too, but you also know neither of you can carry on the way things are for her.  Your heart is letting you know what to do, and it will get you through what ever comes next, be it some form of answer or ongoing mystery.  Genie is lucky to have you loving and caring for her throughout this phase in her life, may Friday bring positive answers and some way forward for you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
**update**

It's been a while since I've updated as I was hoping that Genie might have come back to me, but quite the opposite. I took her to a different vet who was much more thorough, and detected some 'crunching' in her hind leg, suggested arthritis. She's also been diagnosed with mild heart disease that is not advanced enough for medication luckily. Her behaviour is getting no better though, in fact it's probably worse. Shes had more blood tests and they were fine. She's on Meloxicam for pain, as well as Cosequin and Omega 3 (started 2 weeks ago) for her joints. I've had to consult with a cat behaviourist who thinks that it's pain related, and I've inadvertently hurt her without realised, and she now associates me with pain. I feel so bad about this, but cats being cats, she wasn't showing any signs of pain before all this started. She's no longer scent marking, her tail is forever wagging, and my feet are covered in scratches. She blocks doorways by being aggressive towards me, and sometimes doesn't seem satisfied until she's gone for me. I was advised to use some linen cloth to rub her cheeks on so that I could rub her scent on the furniture, but she wouldn't let me at all. I've ordered some Feliway spray for this too, but it's not arrived yet. I'm trying not to show her any negative behaviour after her aggression, but I sometimes can't help it, and she's currently shut in the bedroom to calm down. Yet saying all of this, she still wants to be near me, so much so that I often kick her or tread on her by accident as I don't know she's there, which doesn't help matters. And the licking! She's licking me everywhere, to the point that it hurts, and licking other surfaces too, such as the duvet cover. I'm getting to the stage where I don't want to go near her anymore, and our bond is getting beyond healing. I know I need to give it time, but after 4 months it's really getting to me. I'm starting to consider euthanasia, as she's obviously not happy, and I can't go on getting attacked. I'm worried what she'll do to other people too. We used to have such a strong bond, and she was such a happy cat that this is devastating.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear things have gotten to this point.  What ever happened with the cat door?  Does she use it at all at this point?  How about some other calming remedies--I had good luck with a calming collar on one  of my cats:  https://www.calmingcollars.com     There are also thunder shirts:  http://www.thundershirt.com/Product...tem_guid=04a62476-dd84-4c67-ae9b-83f2fb67db81   

Have you tried any of the Jackson Galaxy remedies?  http://jacksongalaxy.com/category/spirit-essences-u/spirit-essences-instructions/

I know it's tough to keep trying things and then getting discouraged when they don't work.  Believe me, with seven cats with varying health/behavior issues over the years, I've spent a good amount of time and a small fortune trying various things on different cats.  With one particularly intractable cat, what finally worked was the herbal calming collar.  (He still doesn't get along with our other cats but he's a far calmer and happier cat these days!)  

It's a trial and error dance, but hopefully you can hit on the thing that clicks for her.  Sending many good vibes for both of you--  

Oh--one other thought.  I've inadvertently stepped on quiet cats, too, so I now have collars with bells on my indoor cats--that way they can't sneak up on me!