Redirected aggression...I think??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish she'd feel better. It's been 3 weeks now...

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That is hard.  Is she now settled in terms of any smells in the house, and not sniffing at any particular area?  Is she asking to go out in a determined way?  As she still seems anxious when you go out to the garden it might be worth keeping her in for a while longer, and maybe shutting curtains or blinds like Winchester did? 

If she is still threatening to attack or making to scratch you it would be a good idea to make an attempt at clipping some of her claws.  Perhaps the front ones, one of two at a time when she is in a more relaxed mood or sleeping if you can get close enough.  Long sharp claws can give you quite a nasty gash even if she is just giving you a warning slap.

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, she doesn't seem to be sniffing as she had been doing in the house now. She has been at the back door as if she would like to go out, but not in a particularly determined way. I feel bad for not letting her out but she is definitely still anxious when outside, so I'll have to be firmer with myself.

I managed to cut her claws last night, which resulted in much hissing and growling, but no biting. I fed her immediately afterwards and she was fine for a little while, then started to be aggressive again. I wrapped her in a towel and put her in the spare room for time out for a couple of hours. I let her out after an hour or so and she was much calmer until bedtime, when she started growling again when I bent down to talk to her. Maybe I'm crowding her and giving her too much too soon. Can something like this continue for weeks or longer? I just want my loving, purring, happy little girl back! It just seems like such a contradiction when she obviously wants to be near me at all times, but doesn't want to be touched too much and has saucer eyes and a tail like a happy dog!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse is sometimes a bit wary and will need reassuring if I go up to him shortly after I've done something he doesn't like (but he lets me do) like claw clipping and I have to reassure him he can trust me like with a snack and gentle voice before he'll happily bounce back to me again, so it makes sense with your cat after claw clipping when she is so anxious anyway.  Things like this can take time and sometimes we never fully understand what the final thing is that reassures the cat that things are safe again.  I think the most important thing is to continue to reassure the cat but allow them to take their own time, watch her non verbal cues like her tail and posture, and let her gradually find that the space is safe again.  I would keep her inside until she seems settled, even go as far as keeping her in rooms she seems most relaxed in and not give access to the whole house for a few days to see if that helps her, but not like a punishment.  It is all about giving her safe and calming space that allows her adrenalin levels to subside.

There would be no harm in further discussion with your vet either: I would try to avoid taking her along to the surgery as that would introduce more stress, but get the vets view on how she is.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I think this is very good advice from MServant.  These things can certainly take time!  

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 Great advice indeed, so I'm really grateful.

I seem to be doing the right things. I've just never experienced anything like this as she is my first cat, and its so out of character. I have to let it run its course and leave her be when she gives me the signs to leave her alone.   I'll also wash the back door down again in case another cat has sprayed. I tend to use biological washing powder for the enzymes in it. Once she's happy outside again I'll probably invest in one of the Sureflap microchip doors. If she's still the same in a couple of weeks I will consult the vet again to get her opinion. I don't want to put her on kitty happy pills, but if they help, then I will.

abbyjuanita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

These are all good responses from good hearted cat folks, but I believe something more serious is happening with your kitty - perhaps neurologically.

My cat Luna is 3 years old and we've been doing this dance since she was under the age of 1. She started behaving like your cat - huge, dilated pupils, rolling the skin on her back and skittering her tail, her tail gets fluffy and huge, and she responds with fear/stress to her once beloved brother, and at times of ultimate confusion, she attacks me, too. This is really sensitive of a time to be writing and I only found your post because I'm still wondering if there is anything I can do to help her, but after three years, I think it's time to lay her to rest. She deserves peace. I found your thread because although I know in my heart it's time to let her have consistent peace, I'm still wondering, "Is there anything else I can do??? What have other people done??" Though I know I have exhausted my resources, I thought my story might help you. Please feel free to reach out and message me - we can even talk on the phone if you like. 

I'm writing to you because your situation sounds so similar to that of Luna, and I feel you when you say it's heartbreaking. Luna is/was the sweetest kitten, always offering her belly for a rub, a real cuddle bunny, and one day she just lost it with those piercing screams/hissing/spitting/biting/all claws kicking/scared of noises/scared of her typical companions --- and she just never fully bounced back. One vet said it was misdirected aggression and said there was no treatment, that it was simply behavioral --- that opinion never sat right in my heart and so I went in search of another vet and took her to one who specialized in cats with neurological problems. In my own research I found something called Feline Hyperesthesia which really seemed to fit the bill for what Luna was going through. Your case sounds the same - especially with the increased neediness (yet met with aggression), and increased/obsessive bathing. It is also known as neurodermititis, which causes the skin to be in pain/rippled and a focal point for obsessive grooming. Her new veterinarian observed and outburst of her behavior in the office and said he never saw anything quite like it and that it's one thing for an animal to behave that way at the vet under stress, but to be responding that way at home is significant that there is an underlying issue. She's had so many tests done. FH is basically diagnosed under exclusion of other potential problems/issues wherein no other diagnoses can be found.  Your kitty really sounds like she's going through something similar, though the onset is much older (and typical FH onset is from ages 1-4).

We have since tried her on many medications. We hypothesized that she could be having some sort of seizure and so she was put on a mood stabilizer/anti-convulsant. She has been on kitty prozac and anti-anxiety meds (and she still is currently). I've tried the feliway plug in room spray, calming cat collars, and more drugs to try and calm her --- all paired with giving her her own room, which was vital in helping to calm her down, and trying different behavioral tactics just *in case* it was a behavioral issue. When she seemed to be getting better and we could enjoy one another's company for longer periods of time it felt good, like she was making progress, and then I would start to reintroduce her to the rest of the home, and I've never been able to get her health into a consistently stable state. The meds have made her drunken and high, but never were able to address the root problems going on or prevent them from happening. She now lives this life in a separate room and I go in to visit her multiple times a day and give her medication. I do what I can to keep her happy and comfortable but I know this is no life for a cat. I read her body signals to know when to step away before an attack, but sometimes it's still unpredictable and she goes straight from purring on my lap to lashing out. We used to sleep together every night, but when the attacks became more frequent our trust bond always had to be worked back up. At first the time inbetween outbursts was smaller - I knew that I could isolate her, give her space, be patient, reduce environmental triggers (separate her from other cats, loud sounds, etc), but over her short lifespan the illness has just gotten worse.

Stepping off the affection for now until she is comfortable with her own mind is a good idea for now. That really seemed to help Luna and I bounce back for periods of time. One of the big things I learned and harped on myself was that I was stepping in too soon. Her awful screams and cries would make me cry and I would let her out of her sanctuary room feeling bad because she would cry in there in a needy way. She would no longer be lashing out and so my heart would soften and I would let her out, or I would go sit on the floor to spend time with her. Sure enough, just when I would think we were in a safe zone and she was okay, she would start that deep growl, scream, hiss, or start clawing at me (whatever her communication would be). I would kick myself and say, "See? You let her out too soon." And so I learned to leave her in a little longer than was comfortable for me, in an attempt to try and give her brain adrenaline a chance to really settle into something more normal. Then, I would enter *her* safety room and only stay for a few minutes at a time and leave *before* she had a chance to get worked up and in that fight-or-flight mode. I also wouldn't initiate touching her right away - I would enter the room and first just stand in place and let her rub up on my legs if she wanted to. I hold out a hand or finger to her so that she can be the one to rub up against me and I can better gauge her interest or needs from there. It always has treated me well to step away before letting her brain escalate too much, and of course, immediately leaving the scene when she starts to growl/bite/etc. I have tried to  also just ignore the screams and go on about business as usual in the home, but for me it never really worked - she always becomes so escalated that she won't even leave a corner of the house, or she will hide somewhere and scream every time you pass by, or do the same batting her paws with claws out. The only thing that has ever been able to get her to snap out of that and become more normal has been putting her in a separate room to calm down in. =(

I wish I had a better experience and outcome to relay, but I don't. Just hard years of persistent patience, trying, trying, and trying. It's been really hard on us both and despite our persistence we haven't found a solution. Don't lose hope though, because your situation might be different - I certainly do not have all the answers. Your situation just sounds quite similar. Also, some pets with FH just have varying degrees of the condition and not all are as severe as Luna. Some of the tactics I used with her might be more healing for you, or more long lasting. 

As noted, please feel free to private message me and I will help/talk/shed light in any way that I can. It's a sad day over here, and I feel your pain, too. I hope for peace in your heart and your kitty's heart during this really difficult time. I miss my little baby, too.

Love,

Abby

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Abby, I'm so sorry to hear of Luna. I don't think that many other people apart from fellow cat lovers really understand what its like to see them in pain or distress. I have been doing some research on this and there are many symptoms that Genie isn't displaying, such as the rolling of the skin, the twitching and jumping. The only place where she seems to be licking too much is just above her chest where her fur was shaved for the blood tests. I'd say that she is licking and grooming more than normal, but its all over, and not with the twitching that the cats with FHT seem to display (I was looking at some videos on You Tube). I'm certainly going to keep it in my mind though while I monitor her over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again,

Sarah

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Abby, thank you for sharing your experience for Sarah.  It sounds as if you have had a long and difficult journey with Luna and it is helpful for others to be more aware of this condition.  I am sure you have tried and tested many techniques to understand and  try help your cat relax and feel safe.  I hope you are  able to both give and receive support on this site now you are a member, and that there is some way found for Luna to feel some relief from her condition. It must be exhausting for you both.  

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
**UPDATE!**

Firstly, Abby - how is Luna? I've been thinking of you.

Secondly, I think I'm getting somewhere with Genie. I thought I'd share this in case anyone else is going through the same thing and anything I have to say helps a little. The last couple of days she has seemed a little calmer, and while her pupils are still large, they aren't as big as they were. Sje's started to ask to go out, but she won't go anywhere without me. There I was, 11pm, in the dark rainy cold, wearing a caot over my pj's and slippers talking away to her in a calm, soothing voice, telling her "Mummy will protect you"....dear me, I bet the neighbours thought I'd lost the plot! Up and down the path we went. When I stopped, she stopped, when I changed direction, she did. Anyway, when we went in the hissing and growling started again, and signs of stress, which pretty much reassured me what was happening. I totally ignored her, went to bed, and was woken up by her kneading my tummy and purring like a train! Which was soooo lovely to hear.

All in all, its been patience, watching the signs, and getting her to trust me again by that is hopefully starting to pay off. Heres waht I've been doing -

- with any attack, I've wrapped her in a towel and shut her in a dark and quiet room for Time Out. This helped to calm her down and realise that she'd be kept away from me after a lashing out.

- with hissing and growling - ignored her...not even talked to her.

- when calmer, just a few seconds of a head rub with some soothing talk.

- giving her more fuss and attention when she asks for it, and rewarding her with a couple of treats immediately afterwards. She even let me pick her up last night without too much protest - more treats for her! (but again only a couple)

- Feliway plug in - it takes about a week to start working

- There was furniture that I detected the smell of cat urine on that she was sniffing wildly, so I cleaned it with a solution of biological washing powder and water, and rubbed bicarbonate of soda in it to absorb the smell. I swear by it.

- keeping her inside for a few days

- no punishment...this is very important. In the past with any sort of typical cat lash out, she'd get a telling off and be pointed at. I now know to never do that again.

We still have a way to go, and she's breathing as if there should be a purr there, so hopefully I'll hear that lovely purring again.

- trying to get her to play. I think her little body was so tense that she just didn't want to play, so we'renot quite there yet, but I'm trying every day.

- cutting her claws - whilst wearing gloves might I add!! She didn't like it, but again I gave her treats, and left her alone to calm down. This was essential to keep my arms scratch and bite free!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a few days of relative peace and tranquility and I feel very relieved for you.  My fingers are crossed that this is Genie pulling through this experience she does not have any further set backs. As I started to read through your most recent post I thought I was in the 'I know I'm a cat parent because' thread! 
  Abolsolutely fabulous picture you paint there!

She now sounds like a pampered cat that is being treated like a princess, so I hope she appreciates what a wonderful cat parent she has.  Thank you for the photo, she is a total furball, resisting rubbing in to that fluffy tummy would be so hard, I hope she returns to her chilled out purring ways very soon.  Her fur looks as soft as a rabbit's. 
   That she woke you up with a pawsage and purring sounds like a fair indicator that she is building trust and relaxing with you again so hope this will spread through other areas of the home.

You sound as if you have regained confidence with Genie which is nice to see, I hope you feel that you have.  

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes it is a massive relief! Theres been hardly any hissing this weekend and she's started to go out again by herself. I have seen a new cat hanging around (at the front of the house, not the back, but I can bet its been there too). It sprayed my car, cheeky monkey! Genie is definitely following me around more than usual, but I'm not complaining! She's still not quite as affectionate as normal, but at least I can give it too her now without fear of being bitten. She's played a little this weekend, but still no purring. I miss that sound! Hopefully that will come later. Its so lovely to see her more relaxed.

I have to say I'm so glad I stumbled on this site. Its crammed with such usual info, advice and support! xx

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Gradual progress is good, and if that cat is spraying your car it has no doubt been spraying elsewhere and could well be the one who triggered the stress.  If there is one new cat around you can guarantee all the others will be upping stakes on their territory and lots of spraying going on.  Genie is doing well to be staying calm.  I am sure the purring will return, and when it does it is going to feel so good.

I only found this site last summer and I agree, it has been great and everyone is lovely here.  I hope you hang around and we continue to see posts from you when everything settles.  It is always nice to see fun and happy posts about cats when they are well:-D 

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*UPDATE*

Genie is still not behaving as normal. In fact she had got a little worse over the past couple of days - hissing and lashing out at me. She still seems so anxious, so tense, is eating a lot but losing weight (her blood tests including for hyperthyroidism were fine). Her back end definitely seems thinner. She doesn't seem interested in playing at all, and is no longer bothered about going outside, which she loved before.

I must admit I shouted at her as I was losing patience with her for having a go at me for no apparent reason, so whether that has set her back a little, I'm not sure. She's still not purring, is cleaning herself a lot, and licks me to the point of soreness. This seems to be going on for too long - it's been since Christmas now. Is this normal or is it worth taking her back to the vets?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I know the vet did tests before but if she is eating more than usual and loosing weight there is something not right and I would not like to assume it is anxiety about some other cat being about.  That could be going on too, but the weight issue and ongoing behaviour changes are concerning to me; I don't think she should loose weight if she is eating unless there is some sort of absorbtion problem, diabetes, thyroid problem, parasites or other cause.  And with her ongoing unpredictable aggression plus the development of the licking everything makes me think something else is happening for her.  Is there any change in her drinking, or  litter habit, like more pee?  It would be safer for her to see a vet again, and make note of all the physical and behavioural changes you have noted so you can give the vet as full a picture as possible.

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am considering taking her back to the vets, but it does all seem to centre around the back door and the cat flap. I've just been holding it open for her to see if she wanted to go out, but she didn't. There was no growling or hissing, so I gave her praise and treats. I then held it open for her and she came away almost stalking me - growling, hissing, lashing out. In the end I wrapped her in a towel and shut her in a dark room to calm down. Every time she goes near the back door it starts, even though the cat flap has been locked.

Yes, she has lost weight, but not to an extent that she looks skinny (she looks almost normal now compared to the little chubster she was becoming) and she's licking me a lot, but would that be through nervousness (the weight loss) and comfort (the licking)?

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. She is clearly unhappy, but I am facing possible redundancy and vets are expensive. She is insured so I will have to check if it covers x rays in case it is arthritis as my vet first suggested. Can redirected aggression really go on for this long if she doesn't have some sort of illness or pain?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Can redirected aggression really go on for this long if she doesn't have some sort of illness or pain?
I'm sorry to tell you this but yes.  Honestly a month isn't really that long for a kitty to get back to normal after a shock or scare.  Is it okay for her to stay in?  Maybe trying to encourage her to go back out the cat flap isn't the way to go for now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think @betsygee is right here. I haven't had a cat that has shown stress like this but from the reactions you are getting around the cat flap it seems best to keep it well locked and allow her to be an indoor cat for now until she seems completely settled.

Keep a close eye on her weight, eating and toileting just in case the stress has triggered something off as it can with some cats. Generally she seemed to have been doing better so hopefully with more time feeling safe in your home you will see her more like herself again. 

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I've checked with my pet insurers and they will cover the cost of x rays and further tests such as mri's. Genie had been a bit better, but still no purring, still over licking me and still no playing. Then earlier she was sitting next to me, I was talking to her and she just bit me and started hissing at me for no reason. I shouted at her....I know this is not what you should do but I'm under a lot of stress at the moment, some of it caused by this. I was crying and she came to me, being all nice, like she was saying sorry, but just started again. So I've shut her in a dark room to calm down. I'm going to book her into the vets on Friday and go from there. I'm very scared I might lose her if it's neurological.