Red Crust on my Cat’s Eye?

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we noticed Marble was getting some crusties on the corner of one of her eyes that look kind of gnarly. Her eye has also turned a little pink on the skin in the corners. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this? We are currently trying to find a vet to take her to.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like it could just be dried eye boogers. Same as the stuff you find in the corner of your eyes when you wake up in the morning. The pink-ish membranes could indicate irritation. Wipe the dried gunk off with a damp tissue as needed. Don't put anything in the eye. Human eye drops are harmful to cats and can cause eye damage. A trip to the vet is definitely a good idea.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely an infection, most likely the feline herpes virus, really common in cats and NOT transferrable to humans. Is she also not as active? Lethargy and discharge from the eyes and even nose are common. There is not much that can be done for a virus, offer her plenty of water, and encourage her to eat. If the discharge turns white/green/yellow, THEN they will give you an antibiotic ointment for her eyes because that means it turned into a secondary bacterial infection. I hope they give you some now, since it is so hard to get in. I noticed she has a little of her third eyelid showing, another sign she does not feel good. I have tried about every home remedies for this and nothing helped until I got the ointment. You get her used to messing with her eyes by wiping them frequently with a warm, wet rag, then you gently pull down on her lower lid to form a 'pouch'. Squeeze a thin ribbon of ointment in that pouch. Some people swear by L-Lysine, I myself prefer to use DMG or some other immunity building supplement to keep them healthier. My cats have not been sick at all since I started giving them that, and illness could kill them, they have Leukemia. I get it on Amazon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most likely an infection, most likely the feline herpes virus, really common in cats and NOT transferrable to humans. Is she also not as active? Lethargy and discharge from the eyes and even nose are common. There is not much that can be done for a virus, offer her plenty of water, and encourage her to eat. If the discharge turns white/green/yellow, THEN they will give you an antibiotic ointment for her eyes because that means it turned into a secondary bacterial infection. I hope they give you some now, since it is so hard to get in. I noticed she has a little of her third eyelid showing, another sign she does not feel good. I have tried about every home remedies for this and nothing helped until I got the ointment. You get her used to messing with her eyes by wiping them frequently with a warm, wet rag, then you gently pull down on her lower lid to form a 'pouch'. Squeeze a thin ribbon of ointment in that pouch. Some people swear by L-Lysine, I myself prefer to use DMG or some other immunity building supplement to keep them healthier. My cats have not been sick at all since I started giving them that, and illness could kill them, they have Leukemia. I get it on Amazon.
That’s good to know. She is just as active though! The third eyelid might also be because I took this just after she woke up for the day. She eats and drinks fine. I’ll still keep this in mind though!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as a cat eats, drinks, and uses the litterbox, everything is usually OK. She may just have a mild case or has seasonal allergies. she might have received a small scratch on that eye. You never know and if symptoms don't get worse she'll be fine. you might just wipe her eye a few times a day with a moist, warm rag. I tore up a tea towel and heated them slightly with warm water. You can even reuse them if you wash them in the washing machine with bleach. i still find these small rags once in a while though my Burt has been gone for a while, it brings a smile thinking of how he let me wash his eyes, he was such a good boy.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as a cat eats, drinks, and uses the litterbox, everything is usually OK. She may just have a mild case or has seasonal allergies. she might have received a small scratch on that eye. You never know and if symptoms don't get worse she'll be fine. you might just wipe her eye a few times a day with a moist, warm rag. I tore up a tea towel and heated them slightly with warm water. You can even reuse them if you wash them in the washing machine with bleach. i still find these small rags once in a while though my Burt has been gone for a while, it brings a smile thinking of how he let me wash his eyes, he was such a good boy.....
That’s so sweet, I’m so sorry for the loss of your kitty. I decided to go ahead and get her checked out, just to be on the safe side. I don’t think it’s conjunctivitis or anything because we have another kitty and he hasn’t gotten any similar symptoms. If anything, they may give us something for her allergies or to soothe any irritation she might be experiencing. Thank you for your help!