Recs For Links That Explain Cat Food Ingredients In Easy-to-understand Terms? :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get a better understanding of what goes into cat food and why, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good 'Cat Nutrition for Dummies' links that a dummy like me could understand. :wink:

I'm looking for something kinda like this ingredient dictionary I found on Redbarn's website, but that covers more info, e.g., the vitamins and minerals not listed on Redbarn's site, ingredients that should probably be avoided and why, and that sort of thing. :)

Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This has a ranking of pet foods and they get pretty in depth on the why and how of the ranking: The Best Cat Food of 2018 | Reviews.com. Kind of gives a direction on what to look for in a food in some ways.

This one goes more into the specifics of what cats need, Your Cat's Nutritional Needs: The Basics - Feline Nutrition Foundation.

The problem with pretty much any exact numbers when it comes to cats, and even human food, is we know the broad strokes of what is needed but some of the more specific items we just don't know. Even in human nutrition we find out new things all the time. Prove some theories, disprove others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has a ranking of pet foods and they get pretty in depth on the why and how of the ranking: The Best Cat Food of 2018 | Reviews.com. Kind of gives a direction on what to look for in a food in some ways.

This one goes more into the specifics of what cats need, Your Cat's Nutritional Needs: The Basics - Feline Nutrition Foundation.

The problem with pretty much any exact numbers when it comes to cats, and even human food, is we know the broad strokes of what is needed but some of the more specific items we just don't know. Even in human nutrition we find out new things all the time. Prove some theories, disprove others.
Thanks bunches! :heartshape:

We've been doing this 'one step forward, two steps back' dance re: Buddy's food allergies, and I'm just trying to figure out what all of that stuff is in commercially prepared wet food, and if it's necessarily necessary. :wink:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
That redbarn list is a decent resource.

I'm just trying to figure out what all of that stuff is in commercially prepared wet food, and if it's necessarily necessary
As you may know, some of it is less expensive filler so that the manufacturer doesn't have to rely on expensive ingredients and end up pricing the product right out of the reach of consumers.

Usage of artificial colors is likely an indication that there are fewer natural ingredients.

The synthetic K3 Menadione bisulfate is an AAFCO requirement. However, if the manufacturer uses spinach or other natural source of K they aren't required to add Menadione. Natural sources of K are utilized by the body efficiently and properly regarding blood clotting. The synthetic version is not. I won't go into the means of research that "determined" menadione could be labelled as Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) but suffice it to say that testing on poultry definitely doesn't take into account much longer-lived dogs and cats.

Montmorillonite clay is an anti-caking agent, and is seen by some as having health benefits.

Sodium selenite is used to boost selenium levels and is also seen by some as beneficial. It can be toxic in high doses.

Sodium or salt, as I understand it, was initially being added to kibble to artificially create thirst in cats so they would drink more. Now it's added to wet food as well.

And some of it, such as glutens, are added literally and specifically so that the wet food stays on the plate instead of sliding off onto the carpet.

There's this website also; Pet Food Guide
I'd been told earlier this year by Cornucopia that this data won't be maintained, but I'm seeing an update date of April 2018, which is terrific. (maybe my begging and pleading had an effect, no?) Whatever the case, it's a good thing!

Also in case it's helpful;
https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

In regards to bad additives/ingredients, that reviews . com page used to have an excellent in-depth list of what to avoid and why, then they removed it (not for me to ask why but I have a guess). I asked them, they aren't bringing that information back. :fireblob:

Some people felt they went too far in their determination of all the things that can be considered/are in actuality --bad--, but on the other hand it certainly gave a person a starting point.

I don't know if you've seen the summary I'd posted previously (working from memory of that much utilized list from reviews . com by yours truly :) ). I'll post it again here for you and any readers/lurkers that may be interested as well, in case I have any items that you haven't already seen elsewhere. It doesn't distinguish between wet or kibble.

Additives that people try to avoid; agar agar, carrageenan, the various glutens(such as wheat gluten, etc), menadione bisulfate which is a synthetic vitamin K, and some people find that their cats don't do well with the starches (pea starch, potato etc), or they try to avoid grains, or some vegetables.

Other ingredients that can be found in cat foods are artificial colors, sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate, BHT, BHA, Ethoxyquin, sodium selenite - selenium, sodium, glucose, sucrose, corn syrup, propylene glycol, propyl gallate, montmorillonite clay. Rendering products are a very challenging additive/ingredient since the consumer has no real way of knowing by looking at a label.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
That redbarn list is a decent resource.

As you may know, some of it is less expensive filler so that the manufacturer doesn't have to rely on expensive ingredients and end up pricing the product right out of the reach of consumers.

Usage of artificial colors is likely an indication that there are fewer natural ingredients.

The synthetic K3 Menadione bisulfate is an AAFCO requirement. However, if the manufacturer uses spinach or other natural source of K they aren't required to add Menadione. Natural sources of K are utilized by the body efficiently and properly regarding blood clotting. The synthetic version is not. I won't go into the means of research that "determined" menadione could be labelled as Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) but suffice it to say that testing on poultry definitely doesn't take into account much longer-lived dogs and cats.

Montmorillonite clay is an anti-caking agent, and is seen by some as having health benefits.

Sodium selenite is used to boost selenium levels and is also seen by some as beneficial. It can be toxic in high doses.

Sodium or salt, as I understand it, was initially being added to kibble to artificially create thirst in cats so they would drink more. Now it's added to wet food as well.

And some of it, such as glutens, are added literally and specifically so that the wet food stays on the plate instead of sliding off onto the carpet.

There's this website also; Pet Food Guide
I'd been told earlier this year by Cornucopia that this data won't be maintained, but I'm seeing an update date of April 2018, which is terrific. (maybe my begging and pleading had an effect, no?) Whatever the case, it's a good thing!

Also in case it's helpful;
https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

In regards to bad additives/ingredients, that reviews . com page used to have an excellent in-depth list of what to avoid and why, then they removed it (not for me to ask why but I have a guess). I asked them, they aren't bringing that information back. :fireblob:

Some people felt they went too far in their determination of all the things that can be considered/are in actuality --bad--, but on the other hand it certainly gave a person a starting point.

I don't know if you've seen the summary I'd posted previously (working from memory of that much utilized list from reviews . com by yours truly :) ). I'll post it again here for you and any readers/lurkers that may be interested as well, in case I have any items that you haven't already seen elsewhere. It doesn't distinguish between wet or kibble.

Additives that people try to avoid; agar agar, carrageenan, the various glutens(such as wheat gluten, etc), menadione bisulfate which is a synthetic vitamin K, and some people find that their cats don't do well with the starches (pea starch, potato etc), or they try to avoid grains, or some vegetables.

Other ingredients that can be found in cat foods are artificial colors, sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate, BHT, BHA, Ethoxyquin, sodium selenite - selenium, sodium, glucose, sucrose, corn syrup, propylene glycol, propyl gallate, montmorillonite clay. Rendering products are a very challenging additive/ingredient since the consumer has no real way of knowing by looking at a label.
Thanks oodles for all the info! That will keep me busy for awhile, and will certainly come in handy. :)

When I created the first version of my humble spreadsheet to evaluate carb percentages and sources, I had also flagged gums and thickeners we might want to avoid, as well as stuff like BHA, BHT, K3, pyrophosphates, etc..

But we may soon be a whisker or two away from having to make all of Buddy's food. So that's why I'm trying to get a better understanding of the logic behind why certain ingredients are in the foods we've been feeding him, and whether or not we'd want to include or avoid those items when making our own.

For example, I know it's thought that cranberries are supposed to be good for urinary tract health, carrots contain beta carotene, blueberries are rich in antioxidants, and so forth. But I wasn't sure if those ingredients are added because of the possible health benefits, because they're cheap fillers, because cat food companies think we'll be more likely to buy their products if they sound 'balanced' to the humans that buy cat food, or what. :wink:

Thank goodness our other cat's dietary needs are a heck of a lot simpler! :lol:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
because cat food companies think we'll be more likely to buy their products if they sound 'balanced' to the humans that buy cat food,
I wish I could get ahold of a bag of purina cat chow from 15-20 years ago and read the ingredient list. Pets did great on that food, but were there things like fruits and berries added to that food?

Pet companies will probably say "we're better educated about what is good for your pet" but I'm thinking the real answer to your comment is yes, they're marketing to the consumer.

In any case, Dr Lisa Pierson's catinfo.org doesn't discuss this? I've admittedly only looked at some of her website pages. Is she still doing advisement meetings with people? Would there be any value to you in talking with Dr Pierson or a nutritionist at the American College of Veterinary Nutrition (http://www.acvn.org/)?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you happen to have the (old/original) URL (link) for that list ?
The info might have been captured on Archive.
You're brilliant, thank you for thinking of this!!
let me look, I tried a couple of things but it appeared as though every link I could come up with was redirected to the updated site pages.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned a lot by reading this book by Dr Jean Hofve. Since then I’ve done a lot of research (and learned a lot from people on this site) But this book has great explanations of a lot of what’s in cat food:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish this website would hurry up and be done already
Home

I love the dog food advisor website. I always trust that for dog food. I would be so excited if they finally finished a cat version.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In regards to bad additives/ingredients, that reviews . com page used to have an excellent in-depth list of what to avoid and why, then they removed it (not for me to ask why but I have a guess). I asked them, they aren't bringing that information back. ...
Do you happen to have the (old/original) URL (link) for that list ?

The info might have been captured on Archive.
You're brilliant, thank you for thinking of this!!
let me look, I tried a couple of things but it appeared as though every link I could come up with was redirected to the updated site pages.

I remember this Reviews-on-cat-food thing coming out in 2015/2016. Anne posted a TCS thread here about it:
Best Cat Food? When criteria get too strict...

(When the reviews-dot-com has posted the new review(s) for each year, looks like they have used the same url -- so it's not necessarily that a "redirect" exists that sends you to another page. It's that the same address is used for the newer editions and that basically "overwrites" the older versions at that web address.)

But I was able to find the main page of the 2015 Review on Internet Archive, as white shadow white shadow suggested.
It is here:
Best Cat Food Reviews of 2015 - Reviews.com

Looks like whatever opened-for-view the full list of cat foods that they chose in 2015 (their "Recommended Brands") isn't available for the archived page (it won't load the whole list for me). However, the style sheets for the section of "Our Breakdown" still allows a visitor to the 2015 archived page to view those items by clicking on the yellow boxed areas of controversial or harmful ingredients. For example, you can click on the yellow box for, say, "BHT", and it will open to give a few lines of text.
Is that what you were looking for, Furballsmom Furballsmom ? Update your notes on those while you can, lol.
:)

I don't know if you've seen the summary I'd posted previously (working from memory of that much utilized list from reviews . com by yours truly :) ). I'll post it again here for you and any readers/lurkers that may be interested as well, in case I have any items that you haven't already seen elsewhere. It doesn't distinguish between wet or kibble. ...
What I find interesting is that, in 2015, Tiki Cat was nixed by them due to ingredients and recalls and them "erring on the side of caution", and in 2018, Tiki Cat is one of their "Brands that passed our cuts across the board".

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could get ahold of a bag of purina cat chow from 15-20 years ago and read the ingredient list. Pets did great on that food, but were there things like fruits and berries added to that food?

Pet companies will probably say "we're better educated about what is good for your pet" but I'm thinking the real answer to your comment is yes, they're marketing to the consumer.

In any case, Dr Lisa Pierson's catinfo.org doesn't discuss this? I've admittedly only looked at some of her website pages. Is she still doing advisement meetings with people? Would there be any value to you in talking with Dr Pierson or a nutritionist at the American College of Veterinary Nutrition (http://www.acvn.org/)?
Well, we're not 100% sure, but we think it may be the fish oil in canned foods that's not agreeing with Buddy. So of course, those are the only ones he'll eat. Cats, huh? ;)

'Tis a pity they don't make cat food out of the stuff a former stray like Buddy might be more enthusiastic about eating, like lizards, or squirrels. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned a lot by reading this book by Dr Jean Hofve. Since then I’ve done a lot of research (and learned a lot from people on this site) But this book has great explanations of a lot of what’s in cat food:
Ooh, thanks! I need to put an order together anyway. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish this website would hurry up and be done already
Home

I love the dog food advisor website. I always trust that for dog food. I would be so excited if they finally finished a cat version.
That would be awesome! I wonder when they hope to have the cat version up and running. If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to contact them.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's kindle only. So super fast delivery :yess:
Cool! Instant gratification is a beautiful thing. :)

I don't have a Kindle, but IIRC, there's something I can download to be able to read books on my old trusty desktop computer.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a kindle app for the phone I use, and I think you’re right there is something for the computer. Her website is Littlebigcat.com and she might have alternative DL options there.