Recommendations For Wet And Dry Kitten Food.

LittleMillie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello :)

First time posting here! So very sorry if I’ve posted in the wrong section or anything

I have a 14 week old kitten. When I brought her she was on Felix. I carried on with that for a little while and then changed her to Wiska’s as she seemed to prefer that. It also fitted my budget.
But now I can afford slightly more expensive/better food.

What would you recommend?

She has dry and wet food. I’m not looking for something REALLY expensive but maybe a step up from felix or wiskas. Maybe James Wellbeloved or Wainwrights?

I’m from the UK too.

Thanks

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: LittleMillie, welcome to TCS!

Your kitten is still a very young kitten and she has a long way to go before she reaches adult age. And from now till she becomes an adult cat, she needs all the nutrients and proteins to grow and all these comes from feeding her wet food. And on top of that, wet food will keep her hydrated.

Dry food is full of carbohydrates and also not so good if your kitten does not drink water.

A kitten need to be fed several times a day and letting her eat as much as she can at one sitting (I’m talking about wet food here).
You can never overfeed a kitten. They need to eat lots as they are young and energetic and they burn off calories very fast.

You can either get her food meant for kittens or food labeled ‘For All Life Stages’. If you feed her food meant for kittens, you have to change the food to adult food when she becomes an adult cat.
Whereas if she’s dpfed food labeled ‘For All Life Stages’, you can continue to feed her with it even if she has become an adult cat.

Most cats mature at one year old but for the bigger breeds, they mature between 2-4 years.

Look for food that is grain free and first by products free - By-products In Cat Food: 5 Facts You Need To Know. Some cats are picky eaters and some aren’t. So it’s up to you to stick to one brand, one flavor or many flavors or many brands. It also depends on whether if your kitten is allergic to certain ingredients or meat.

Many of us here feed our cats differently so there’s no one size fits all and we all want the best for our cats. Go along with what you can afford and what suit your cats best and hear out what others may chip in.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and we’ll try our best to help out. Check out our Articles pages - Cat Food & Feeding | TheCatSite

Enjoy your stay :thumbsup:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleMillie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!

She drinks lots of water so I’m not worried about her being dehydrated from eating dry food. I always leave her food down until the next sitting if she hasn’t eaten it all before then haha!

I will search for grain free food and see what comes up. She doesn’t seem to be too fussy apart from one brand I did try her on and not liking tuna

Thanks again!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You’re welcomed.

Kittens change their patterns and habits pretty fast and often. You just need to catch up on them and give them all your love and care.

Also they grow up pretty fast too, so take lots of photos!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zooplus has some great prices, better and cheaper than you can buy in the supermarket. Generally i'd say switch it up and get the good deals within the limits of it being decent food. Decent food = try to look at the first 3 ingredients of a food; the first should be meat and it should not list corn or rice (cheap fillers that are not good for the bodies of an obligate carnivore).

Some EU brands that my cats like: Animonda, Bozita, Thrive, Feringa and Miamor