Recommendations for a weight scale appreciated.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for recommendations for a scale that is reasonably priced and accurate to keep track of weight loss for Mia.

Anyone have one they trust and like that they would recommend?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am following this thread because I have a digital scale similar to the one Furballsmom Furballsmom has suggested and it seems pretty unreliable. However, I do have a friend who uses a postal scale that she finds to be extremely reliable. And, it will go up to 90 pounds (hopefully no one needs that for their cat!!!!).

The key is that you will most certainly need a box/serving tray/carrier to put your cat in and set both on the scale. Since Feeby is at least 21" long (not counting tail), I am looking into options for the postal scale. I do not want to use her carrier, if I can find an alternative. Maybe a cardboard box???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That one looks nice.

I am following this thread because I have a digital scale similar to the one Furballsmom Furballsmom has suggested and it seems pretty unreliable. However, I do have a friend who uses a postal scale that she finds to be extremely reliable. And, it will go up to 90 pounds (hopefully no one needs that for their cat!!!!).

The key is that you will most certainly need a box/serving tray/carrier to put your cat in and set both on the scale. Since Feeby is at least 21" long (not counting tail), I am looking into options for the postal scale. I do not want to use her carrier, if I can find an alternative. Maybe a cardboard box???
Yes a box, or even a small plastic tote you can put Feeby in?

The one vet said she bought a scale from babies r us that she used for both her cat and her babies that worked well.

The one on the website I saw was cheaper on amazon. It does have mixed reviews. It seems movement on many of these scale causes issues. So I guess the trick is to steady the kitty and get them clam before the reading?

Kilö Digital Baby Scale
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06X3WH1R7/?tag=

Dana_And_Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suppose you could first weigh yourself, then weigh you holding the cat and just subtract your weight from that number, I think that could work! But I carry him, turn it on, place him on it and kind of hover my arms around the area to keep him in place, but not touching him/it to get a good reading

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This solution was expensive but Mogi does not like being picked up and panics in a carrier. The platform works like a dream - in fact she waits for her treats next to the platform and then jumps on (3.6 kg today).

If you are thinking about buying a baby scale, try to borrow one first to test whether or not your cat will "oblige" by keeplng still long enough to get a reading. I found there were plenty available secondhand (on Ebay) and the cheapest cost a fifth of the price I paid for the platform. But, I didn't risk it and now actually enjoy weighing my cats - it used to be a chore. Maybe it was my (human) scale, but subtracting my weight from the weight of me-plus-cat produced such unreliable results that it really was only a guide and hardly suitable for detecting small weight losses in a small cat over a short period of time.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of platform scales on the market - I just went for the biggest. Better to be safe than sorry and my son-in-law can weigh his heavy parcels easily. It is for weights up to 100 kg (220 pounds) and can show the weight in kg, pounds or stones. So, for a small female cat it's exceedingly over-dimensioned! :) Definitely not for a small apartment, but, if I ever keep a large dog ......... Who knows?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this one works for us. we put a plastic plate on it to get a larger surface and sit SG on that. The plate was knocked across the room the first few times, but she got okay with it. Treat immediately after weighing.
it comes with instructions. has worked for over a year and is fairly sensitive. I move it from closet to table and back to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT86A1I/?tag=thecatsite