Real Talk: Siberian Cats

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tibbs was a terror but he was also always a love bug. he'd run around at a billion miles an hour but then he'd jump up on my chest and snorgle my hair and drool on my shoulder for a half hour or so before he passed out on my lap. he's also pretty gentle. i've never been seriously wounded from him. he sometimes would get too excited and use toof and claw but generally would keep them in. his ambushes usually involve the other cats and toys not us so much. our newest kitty however does ambush us. he ambushes EVERYONE. he doesn't hurt us though. lol. we're pretty sure he's norwegian at least in part. we're getting the dna tests for him.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just have Manny my Siberian at the moment. I got him as a rescue after my thorough bred MC passed in Feb. 2017 from cancer at 16 yrs. I also lost a black DSH in Nov. of 2016 at around 15 yrs that just showed up during an ice storm and I took her in. I've also had NFC,s and MC's in the past.

Manny was a special case. I got him at about a year and a half old. He was very shy, hid behind the water heater in the basement for a day, under the bed for 3 days. He was very jumpy and would run for cover at the slightest noise. He's made progress in leaps and bounds. Doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Occasionally he'll run through the house but, not often and, after one pass or two he's done...lol.

He will now sit on command, give high five's for treats and, I've almost got him to play dead. Not there yet though. He's very at ease in the house now. I tried leash training but, all those fears came back when he went outside. He took off running a couple times and done a summersault but, he always ran to the basement door knowing that was his safe zone. So, I would leave the basement door unlatched and he knew he could run to it and nudge it open. I just done supervised walks with no harness and taught him his boundaries. Amazingly he listens very well and comes when I call him. I spend a lot of time on DIY stuff and am in the garage or shop a lot and he just kind of hangs out with me. He's gotten use to most of the outside noises now and for the most part remains calm. He knows what "it's ok" means. If he gets spooked I just say "it's ok" and give him a rub on the head and he calms down.

He's not a lap cat and isn't crazy about being picked up. I'm sure because he was abused as a kitten but, he has made progress there too. He's basically a perfect gentleman and has been no trouble at all. Doesn't claw furniture, uses the litter box well, etc. I took him for his first car ride the other day, other than the vet, and he done real well. I just basically went around the block but, I want him to get use to the car.

I wouldn't feel guilty about wanting a thoroughbred. I plan on getting a MC as soon as I think Manny is ready which, he is very close I think. I got Manny a year and one month ago yesterday I think. March 22nd 2017. That's how much progress he's made. My last MC was the best animal I ever had by far. He was just one of those once in a lifetime cats. I'm sure in part because he was MC and also I raised him from 8 weeks old. He was a snuggler and I really miss that. He came from a long line of Grand Champions but, the breeder I got him from is deceased now I think or, I would go back to her.

Most of the MC breeders in my area have a waiting list up to a year. The thought has crossed my mind to get another Siberian from a breeder I've enjoyed working with Manny so much but, I just have my mind set on a MC.

I highly recommend a Siberian though from my experience. I'm sure if I could have raised Manny from a kitten and got him from a good breeder that he would be a snuggler too. He may get there yet! Hope this helps! Here's a few pics of Manny take recently.
IMG_5086.JPG IMG_4849.JPG IMG_5065.JPG IMG_5069.JPG IMG_5077.JPG
IMG_4894.JPG IMG_5081.JPG

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just have Manny my Siberian at the moment. I got him as a rescue after my thorough bred MC passed in Feb. 2017 from cancer at 16 yrs. I also lost a black DSH in Nov. of 2016 at around 15 yrs that just showed up during an ice storm and I took her in. I've also had NFC,s and MC's in the past.

Manny was a special case. I got him at about a year and a half old. He was very shy, hid behind the water heater in the basement for a day, under the bed for 3 days. He was very jumpy and would run for cover at the slightest noise. He's made progress in leaps and bounds. Doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Occasionally he'll run through the house but, not often and, after one pass or two he's done...lol.

He will now sit on command, give high five's for treats and, I've almost got him to play dead. Not there yet though. He's very at ease in the house now. I tried leash training but, all those fears came back when he went outside. He took off running a couple times and done a summersault but, he always ran to the basement door knowing that was his safe zone. So, I would leave the basement door unlatched and he knew he could run to it and nudge it open. I just done supervised walks with no harness and taught him his boundaries. Amazingly he listens very well and comes when I call him. I spend a lot of time on DIY stuff and am in the garage or shop a lot and he just kind of hangs out with me. He's gotten use to most of the outside noises now and for the most part remains calm. He knows what "it's ok" means. If he gets spooked I just say "it's ok" and give him a rub on the head and he calms down.

He's not a lap cat and isn't crazy about being picked up. I'm sure because he was abused as a kitten but, he has made progress there too. He's basically a perfect gentleman and has been no trouble at all. Doesn't claw furniture, uses the litter box well, etc. I took him for his first car ride the other day, other than the vet, and he done real well. I just basically went around the block but, I want him to get use to the car.

I wouldn't feel guilty about wanting a thoroughbred. I plan on getting a MC as soon as I think Manny is ready which, he is very close I think. I got Manny a year and one month ago yesterday I think. March 22nd 2017. That's how much progress he's made. My last MC was the best animal I ever had by far. He was just one of those once in a lifetime cats. I'm sure in part because he was MC and also I raised him from 8 weeks old. He was a snuggler and I really miss that. He came from a long line of Grand Champions but, the breeder I got him from is deceased now I think or, I would go back to her.

Most of the MC breeders in my area have a waiting list up to a year. The thought has crossed my mind to get another Siberian from a breeder I've enjoyed working with Manny so much but, I just have my mind set on a MC.

I highly recommend a Siberian though from my experience. I'm sure if I could have raised Manny from a kitten and got him from a good breeder that he would be a snuggler too. He may get there yet! Hope this helps! Here's a few pics of Manny take recently.
View attachment 228312 View attachment 228313 View attachment 228314 View attachment 228316 View attachment 228317
View attachment 228318 View attachment 228319

he's gorgeous. I think he'd be a dead ringer for tibby if tibby had ever put on the normal adult cat weight lol.
odds are he'll come around. given even more time. my other purebred is a MC. imo though you can't go wrong with a second siberian. untraumatized they really are lovebugs. just as much as MC's are. Norwegians are also wonderful kitties.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four cats. One is a purebred Siberian. The Siberian adds much to my life, though my ex-feral is very special also! :redheartpump:

The Siberian is named Leonid. He will be two soon. He rules my house, but he is also my best buddy. He is a class act. Here is his picture.

Leo Diamond Christmas 16 036 2.jpg

I had another Siberian, Boris, who passed two years ago. He was very laid back. He was my best friend and I still miss him very much. Here is his picture.

Sammy Leo 009.JPG

Both great cats. Will a Siberian be able to love you? In my experience, just try and stop them! :D My Siberians have wanted to be near me most of the time. Boris was usually on my lap or lying nearby. Leonid likes to lie in my lap, at my feet or in a cat tree close by. They will want to sleep in your bedroom, too. They are not needy or demanding, they just love people.

Neither of my Siberians made much noise. Leonid's meow is almost inaudible and Boris mainly chirped, though he did make a very odd noise as a kitten when I was preparing his food. :p

They are an extremely old breed, having been mentioned in literature many centuries ago. They were also represented at the first cat show in Great Britain in the 1800's.

The Russian government did not allow indoor cats for many years, ending in the late 1980's. The first Siberian came to the US in 1990 and for the most part they were not professionally bred before that. Many breeders do a great job at maintaining healthy genes, but some cat (and dog!) breeds have had their genetic health damaged by irresponsible breeders. This has not happened much with Siberians. In fact, they are one of the healthiest cat breeds there is.

As far as how to choose one, I have no experience. I did not choose either Siberian kitten, due to circumstances. Here is a search for threads on choosing a kitten. Search Results for Query: choosing a kitten | TheCatSite

I am a big fan of the breed and I think you will be happy if you get one. If there is anything else you want to ask, feel free. I will do my best to answer.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should also mention, in terms of choosing a kitten, I had posted a really similar question and got good advice. My main concern was temperament, but the two I was choosing between also looked quite different so that made it harder. It was helpful to ask for advice here, and I'm glad I did.
I did actually get Ruby from a (great, responsible, local) breeder, which I felt a little weird about, but her mother's Russian paperwork is incomplete--so she was not very expensive and consequently I'm not able to register her (which is fine, since showing and breeding are not of interest to me).
Here is a link to my old thread, in case you're interested:
Choosing Between Two Siberian Kittens

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Except for a few breeds which have been bred so heavily for aesthetics that it impacts their quality of life, it isn't immoral to get a purebreed cat from an ethical breeder.

While you aren't rescuing an endangered cat directly, you are still doing some good things.

-You are helping to support feline sub species variety in a direct and financial way. If no one bought pedigreed cats, they might begin to go away... No more Siamese, no more maine coons, etc.

-pedigreed cats are feline ambassadors. They have a real wow factor and can help show people how great cats are in general, especially people who have generally liked dogs (since pedigreed dogs are more common than pedigreed cats)

-Some (especially older natural breeds) have personality traits that are just very cool. wanting a pedigreed cat for personality is great. What better reason to choose a cat than what is on the inside, right?

Anyhow, it isn't wrong to have cat in your life that you will love and care for, it is basically good. It is, I suppose, technically, less good than adopting a rescue, but so is going to a restaurant instead of donating that money to charity.

If people give you grief (and it may happen), then you have an easy reason with a Siberian. They're considered a hypo allergenic breed. just say that and they'll probably shut up and leave you alone.

PS with the exception of maine coons, Siberians are my wife's favorite breed. she just loves big fluffy cats.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS with the exception of maine coons, Siberians are my wife's favorite breed. she just loves big fluffy cats.
sargon sargon - Bob says, "Hey. Hey! Norwegians are big and fluffy too yanno! We are... honest!

bigbob.jpg

KalicoKitten KalicoKitten - Did you look through the Big Breeds thread in Post #7 here, to see the Russian Landrace Siberians? Now that's "big and fluffy!"

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Chubchub bucks the trend a little as he's both friendly and unfriendly. He likes to be stroked for a while then gets skittish. He's bonded more with my grand daughter so she sees a different, more affectionate side to him. He's a bit of a nervy, prickly character and bombs around like a loon sometimes. It's as if he's still discovering who he is and how he fits in. He's only just over 1yr so I'm sure he'll calm down in time.
He's very cute though.

IMG_0044 (2).JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sargon sargon - Bob says, "Hey. Hey! Norwegians are big and fluffy too yanno! We are... honest!

View attachment 228336

KalicoKitten KalicoKitten - Did you look through the Big Breeds thread in Post #7 here, to see the Russian Landrace Siberians? Now that's "big and fluffy!"

truth! all of the forest breeds are really loveable and sweet cats. while I love maine coons to bits I think personally Norwegian and Siberian are my favorites for personality.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Chubchub bucks the trend a little as he's both friendly and unfriendly. He likes to be stroked for a while then gets skittish. He's bonded more with my grand daughter so she sees a different, more affectionate side to him. He's a bit of a nervy, prickly character and bombs around like a loon sometimes. It's as if he's still discovering who he is and how he fits in. He's only just over 1yr so I'm sure he'll calm down in time.
He's very cute though.

View attachment 228342

View attachment 228343

no I don't think it entirely bucks the trend. I'm sure my husband has a different tail to tell with tibby too. I know he loves tibby to bits and thinks he is an adorable ragamuffin.. but tibbs only rarely gets on his lap. tibbs sleeps on him at night sometimes. but it's pretty clear he's my cat. drommie, our maine coon was pretty clearly his cat until I got laid off and never got another job. since I was home all the time she became my cat too. lol. both of our "ferals" have bonded with him and not me.

but skittish is not a word I would ever use for tibby. he's the first one to come show off for someone coming to the house. he does the rag doll thing when you pick him up. (regardless of who picks him up) trimming his nails is not a big deal. he's got a lot of the characteristics you hear about when people talkabout ragdolls. our maine coon on the other hand.... we've had her since she was a kitten.. the people we got her from seemed like good people .free range cats. they loved their cats. they did have a lot of kids too. but if you get a broom out. you're going to beat her with it. if you make a sudden movement it's because youre about to do something terrible to her. if someone is at the door they plan on doing something terrible to her. she lives in such a state of anxiety. I think it's like humans. some cats just have a neuron off and have anxiety disorders for no perceptible reason. while I love her to bits. I feel badly for her. I'm sure most maine coons aren't like her but it has colored my perception towards the breed a bit. she's a lovable cat. very sweet. but so tortured. she's also fearful of new foods. she won't eat salmon or tuna or any of the fishes. (dunno it might be one of those allergic I know it's bad for me things she has a lot of gut issues) dairy gives her a flavor explosion. she comes to sniff it and maybe take a lick (and she's clearly into it) but then goes OMG and runs away at 90 miles an hour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Thanks for all the feedback :D I didnt have time to respond to every one of you but I read all your comments and definitely feel a lot better about possibly getting a Siberian in the future :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all with a pedigreed cat you can have an idea what type of personality to expect (generally) and of any breed health related issues BEFORE getting the cat. A rescue, not so much - NOT that I am knocking rescue!!!!! Every cat has a place in our homes and hearts. My only experience with Siberians is when I did a fellow breeder a favor and showed a newly imported kitten for her.
Due to CFA regulations she was unable to show the cat for herself. This kitten was so sweet and unshakable. She had only been in this country a little over a week and I believe this was her first show. She was wonderful. If I ever changed breeds, I would seriously consider Siberians - especially since I found out they come in silver and gold!:)