Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Don't get one

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for including me; I am new to this message board. I would like some advice from cat people about choosing a kitten. I am first in line to choose between two purebred Siberian kittens, and I would love some advice about what to look for (apart from the obvious). Both kittens are female; one is darker w/black nose (seal lynx point) whom we will call A and one is lighter w/pink nose (tortie point) whom we will call B. They are both beautiful, although I sort of prefer the darker color. The breeder is a very nice and responsible person. For Siberian experts: yes, they are Neva Masq; their parents are from Russia.

My house is a small one-story house, where I live with my husband (who has allergies, hence the Siberian cat rather than a rescue), our somewhat difficult seven-year-old daughter, and our current only cat, Little Kitty. Little Kitty is a 4-year-old retired breeding female, who is a beautiful, tiny Balinese. We've had her since Sept 1. She has an advanced case of stomatitis, and just had all her teeth removed in two phases. The stomatitis does not appear to be resolving well, and she has some other health problems as well which may be related to side effects from the meds we're trying to give her. I am very burned out taking her to the vet all the time, the only silver lining being that she loves the vet's office and resident cat. LK does seem to love other cats, which makes sense since she was brought up as a brood queen. Naturally, though, I'm afraid of stressing her out beyond what's reasonable--I have heard that no cat is happy to see another one come into the home.

Should I be looking for the smaller, quieter kitten (to make my current cat adjust better)? Or the more robust? Does the small size of our house make a difference, considering these will be indoor cats? Is it even okay to be considering a second cat, considering LK's chronic (though non-contagious) issues? How do the kitties look to you--I thought their eyes showed some evidence of being runny, but maybe that's common for kittens, I just don't know. Which one do you prefer, A or B? Honestly, I just really want a cat that stands a good chance of being healthy and happy. I’m meeting them to make a selection on November 18. Basically I just want some good advice. What do you think?

Thank you!

20171029_152858.jpg
20171029_153408.jpg
20171029_152354.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GoldyCat, I totally agree. I will be able to meet them when they're 8 weeks old on Nov 18. I would like some advice about what to look for when that time finally comes! And I agree that looks should come second...but sometimes it's hard to see past looks so that's why I am hoping for some further guidance.

Should I be looking for the smaller, quieter kitten (to make my current cat adjust better)? Or the more robust? Does the small size of our house make a difference, considering these will be indoor cats? Is it even okay to be considering a second cat, considering LK's chronic (though non-contagious) issues? How do the kitties look to you--I thought their eyes showed some evidence of being runny, but maybe that's common for kittens, I just don't know.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted about this in the Cat Behavior section, and people think gentleness should be prioritized if I do decide to introduce a kitten into our family, since our adult cat is in recovery from stomatitis and still might not be 100% by December. Makes sense to me.
Do you think the breeder has a good sense of personality yet? They are 6 weeks. Hopefully she would be open to me asking via e-mail, I hate to pester people but I would love some insight before meeting the kittens. I have to make a decision when I meet them, as there’s someone behind me in line.
Also, someone in Cat Behavior tells me that Siberian cats are really active and energetic, while I believed that they were more laid-back and quiet. Anybody have one of these cats who can give me a perspective?
Thanks so much!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Siberians in general are gentle cats (they along with Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest Cats, and Ragdolls are the "gentle giants"). :)

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Super adorable! Both while grow into gorgeous cats - but the pink noise on B is just too cute! Congratulations on your little one whichever you choose :)

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
auntie auntie Firstly they are both absolutely beautiful and obviously looks are a personal choice but in this case I think they're pretty even and I'd be happy with either.

The breeder of my MC, for example, went for temperament and health first and it clearly shows in his wonderful gentle personality so it may be worth asking your breeder what the priorities were in her programme. Personally I would choose the quieter one for the sake of Kitty. My 11 month (ish) old mostly Siberian Chubchub is a sparky little character and is full of beans. The breed is active but personable so 'quieter' will be a relative thing and doesn't mean she will be lifeless and boring, if you do choose the quieter one.

Siberians are both energetic and easy going at the same time so you're not far off in what seemed to be a contradiction as to what you've heard.

I don't think the size of your house is an issue, she will just adapt and be happy regardless. It's the loving interaction that counts above all. I've also heard many times that size doesn't matter. ;) I assume Kitty doesn't complain.

It's always OK to consider a second cat.

Maybe 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine could comment on the runny eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is a small one-story house, where I live with my husband, our somewhat difficult seven-year-old daughter, and Kitty.

Forgive me for asking, but would the "difficulties" of your daughter in any way affect the kitten? As long as the kitten will be safe, I think a bold, adventurous kitten would be more comfortable around a young child. Kids can be loud and unpredictable and that can be stressful for a timid and shy cat.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you mightyboosh mightyboosh kristenann kristenann & abyeb abyeb ! Fingers crossed. I am still optimistic, and very aware that it will take work--and I appreciate the tips and reminders. weebeasties weebeasties , I'm sure my daughter can be safe with a kitten, she just has some social-emotional differences. Of course, I'm hoping a healthy pet can provide some emotional support. Not sure who asked, but no boys left in this litter...it'll have to be a girl!

Anyway I love Siberians and Balinese/Siamese, and it's so nice to be around people who don't think purebred cats are 100% morally problematic (like most of my friends & relatives). Thanks for your support :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
auntie auntie - I agree with what mightyboosh mightyboosh has said. I've only had Manny since mid March and he is a rescue that I'm sure was abused at some point. My past experience is with Maine Coons and I lost my Coony to cancer in Feb. I wasn't in a hurry to find another cat that quick but the house was quiet and I just happen to run across Manny online and he reminded me of Tama my Maine Coon the way he was colored and marked up so I went to meet him.

He's was scared to death of everything and kept running up under the couch. We had to get him out 4 or 5 times. The one thing that I noticed was that he never hissed or tried to scratch me when I was reaching under the couch trying to get him out. That is the only reason I brought him home. At first I thought he had some Maine Coon in him but I posted his pics and abyeb abyeb and @CatOverTheLine and a couple other regulars pointed me toward Siberian. After looking at pics and doing research I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't almost full blooded. I may do a DNA test to find out but I would say he's mostly Siberian.

Here's what I can tell you of my experience so far. He's made progress in leaps and bounds and he's obviously smart. He use to jump at every little noise and now he's at perfect ease. He doesn't miss anything and I think he can hear a pin drop. I've tried to sneak up on him to try and watch him without him knowing it and I can't do it. He's not a lap cat, doesn't like to be picked up and doesn't cuddle. I think it has to do with his past, not his breed. I'm working on all that and he's coming around. He doesn't like you to put your face up to his and he doesn't like you to stick your foot out toward him. He constantly watched the basement door like he was scared something was going to come through it and get him. If I closed a door hard, not slam it, just close it hard he would run and hide under the bed. He has/had issues!

I personally think he has been kicked, picked up and screamed at and, been around someone that had a serious temper and slammed doors.

Now! He has touched noses with me. He has jumped up in my lap. He gets in the bed and lays against me. I can pick him up and I can walk by him and stick out my foot and gooch him in his belly with my big toe. He has yet to hiss at me or try to bite me. I think that speaks volumes about his temperament! I have him wearing a harness and have begun taking him on short walks. He gets spooked easy outside but I know he'll get through that. It just takes time.

I've had no issues with him at all behavior wise. Uses the litter box, doesn't scratch furniture, he's really a perfect gentlemen. I can't imagine how someone could have abused him. He gets his burst of energy and he'll run through the house but he doesn't hurt anything and most of the time he's pretty chilled. If he does get into anything all I've had to do is just give him a firm no and call his name and he doesn't do it again.

I guess my whole point to this is. He was a cat that hid behind a water heater for a day and under a bed for 3 and look how far he's come. I think it's his breed and temperament.

I will say this about allergies. I don't think I'm allergic to cats at all but, when I had my Maine Coon I had itchy eyes. Now Tama laid on my pillows in the bed when I wasn't at home and if I hadn't shaven in a couple of days I could drag my hand across my chin and have a hand full of fur sometimes from him laying on the pillows. Manny sleeps in his tree and doesn't get in the bed unless I'm in it and doesn't lay on the pillows so maybe this is why but, I don't have the itchy eyes anymore with him.

Their eyes look fine to me. Maybe a little eye boogers but nothing that makes me think, oh my god! they look sickly!
Just make sure they are a reputable breeder, get some kind of health guarantee, do they screen for anything, etc. You didn't mention much about that. I'm curious, if I may ask? How much are they?

As far as picking one or the other. They're both cuties and I wouldn't worry about looks. I would let them pick me and go with my gut. Sorry this is so long!...lol...Hope it helps! Oh, almost forgot. The one red flag to me! They're both females. Females tend to be more temperamental. It may or may not be an issue. I personally prefer males.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks sabian sabian ! Manny sounds beautiful and sweet ❤
Only females available in this litter—but I’ll check them both for gentleness!
PS do you like Sabian cymbals? My husband does too LOL

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PS do you like Sabian cymbals? My husband does too LOL
auntie auntie - Now that's funny! I use Sabian and Zildjian! I had a conversation recently with @kittymommy about this recently. She mentioned in a post that she had a cat in the past named Tama. So I asked her how she came up with that name. Turned out her ex husband was a drummer and they had 2 cats. One they named Sabian and the other Tama. I tripped out cause the cat in my picture looking out of the box was named Tama and the cat I had before him was named Sabian. I never in a 1000 yrs would have thought someone else would name their cat after drum stuff let alone 2 and it was the same names I picked. I just thought that was crazy! I used Sabian as my screen name and posted Tama as my pic. My way of honoring both of them. Now here you are talking about drum stuff!:lol: So I'm guessing your husband is a drummer too? I plan on getting a purebred Maine Coon as soon as I get Manny settled in a little more. He needs a buddy. I think I'm going to name him Zildjian or Remo. I kept Manny's name that the foster gave him. It kind of fits him and it's unique. I'm running out of good drum names anyway.

I think your gonna be happy with either one of those cuties. Better be careful! You may be taking both of them home!:lol:

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sabian sabian
Yes, he's totally a drummer...and he has an intense love/hate relationship with cymbals. I don't know much about them, but terms like "K Custom Dry Ride" etc etc have become very prominent in our household. Maybe we can name the baby Agop ;) Or go with a Turkish girl's name and call her Nur or something...I like Remo for your cat name, it suits a Maine Coon! I have a good association with the word Remo since it's just drum heads and doesn't involve any e-bay panic :rolleyes: Or how about Jojo Mayer, another household name around here LOL
Anyway, lucky for me the other kitty is reserved by someone else, I just get to choose first. Otherwise it would be really hard to just take one, for sure!

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't be much help in this decision, but I will explain what I do as a breeder to help point the new owners in the direction of the right kitten. I talk to them about what the expectations are and the experience they have with the breed. In general, my breed (Persians) are furry speed bumps as adults but all have different personalities. I would suggest talking with the breeder about what type of personality you want and meeting the kittens in person before making a decision. One may grab your heart when you meet them. Both are beautiful but truthfully in looks, the darker is the one for me.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, posiepurrs posiepurrs !
I also prefer the dark one...but I'm going to e-mail the breeder and ask who is most gentle. It's nice to hear a breeder say that questions are expected. Anyway, we'll see. Good thing they're both so pretty!

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mightyboosh mightyboosh
Totally...this breeder said I can contact her any time, for any reason, but of course I don't want to be a pest. But you folks are right--I will ask before I meet the little babies, so it can be an analytical decision as well as emotional.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh...head vs heart, always a difficult one. As far as being a 'pest' is concerned, you could look at it another way. Any good breeder would see queries as a sign of commitment and serious intent and be happy to let one of her babies go to you. Anyway, when it's all done and dusted, I hope you post lots of development pics. There's nothing nicer than to see a TCS baby blossom as time goes by.