RE: SOS For The Cats of Lahaina, Hawai'i

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you all know by now, the devastating fires that have destroyed Lahaina, Hawai'i, have taken many lives and left thousands without anything. Most of the news focus is on help for humans, but my own priority will always be in helping cats. This article sheds light on what is happening there and I urge everyone to share it and of course, get involved in whatever way(s) you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this.
The people who put this paper out are longtime co-activists. I was one of the first subscribers to their print version back in the day. Their integrity, thoroughness, and caring have always impressed. It's my first source of news regarding animals. *Shameless plug*

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Their integrity, thoroughness, and caring have always impressed.
As we've pointed out to you in the past the integrity of the owners of the site is questionable. While this cause is a valid one the site linked to has a bias. I encourage all members to investigate this site before donating to them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As we've pointed out to you in the past the integrity of the owners of the site is questionable. While this cause is a valid one the site linked to has a bias. I encourage all members to investigate this site before donating to them.
I've known the editor since before their current publication, and any difference of opinion is just that. I stand by what I say.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glimmer of hope in this article from the Guardian, though access is still restricted.

Maui Humane Society ‘hopes to be inundated’ as 3,000 animals still missing | Hawaii fires | The Guardian
Thanks for this.
Yeah, among all of the very-much-less-than-effective "aid" organizations and entities, those of us who truly care about animals have impressive records in disasters.
These people may be largely unknown to the general public, but they are my greatest and truest heroes.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another and very upsetting update. Please read, share, and do due diligence before donating.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I received this reply today;
Thank you for reaching out to Greater Good Charities regarding our relief efforts in Maui. We have been longtime partners with our friends at Maui Humane Society, which enabled our quick response to get our team on the ground to assess need and begin sending items that were most needed.

Along with providing cash grants and in-kind donations such as vaccines, our disaster response team worked directly with Maui Humane to provide medical prep and exams to those in their care. On 8/17 we flew in an emergency flight of humanitarian supplies and Good Packs onto the island. On 8/18, we loaded that same plane with precious cargo- 136 shelter pets, to evacuate them out of Maui to receiving shelters in Oregon and California. By moving shelter pets who were already in the shelter system before the fires began, we could help free up critical kennel space for pets injured or displaced by the fires. We continue to be in close contact with Maui Humane Society to support them in any way we can as the island recovers from this disaster.

You can learn more about our work in Maui so far here: On the ground in Maui Helping People and Pets

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received this reply today;
Thank you for reaching out to Greater Good Charities regarding our relief efforts in Maui. We have been longtime partners with our friends at Maui Humane Society, which enabled our quick response to get our team on the ground to assess need and begin sending items that were most needed.

Along with providing cash grants and in-kind donations such as vaccines, our disaster response team worked directly with Maui Humane to provide medical prep and exams to those in their care. On 8/17 we flew in an emergency flight of humanitarian supplies and Good Packs onto the island. On 8/18, we loaded that same plane with precious cargo- 136 shelter pets, to evacuate them out of Maui to receiving shelters in Oregon and California. By moving shelter pets who were already in the shelter system before the fires began, we could help free up critical kennel space for pets injured or displaced by the fires. We continue to be in close contact with Maui Humane Society to support them in any way we can as the island recovers from this disaster.

You can learn more about our work in Maui so far here: On the ground in Maui Helping People and Pets
Thanks for sharing this. I'm no longer a supporter of Greater Good Charities as it looks to me like it's been sold and no longer reflects my values. I saw the airlift info but it seems like mostly dogs, which I'm not supportive of, either. I much prefer to support and advocate for the cats-only rescues local to Lahaina. There is information about them in the articles I've shared here.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update. Please read thoughtfully and act accordingly if you're able.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The latest from Lahaina and environs. Please do get involved in any of the way(s) you're able. The cats of Lahaina desperately needour help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The latest UPdate. At long last, and not without massive effort, rescuers are being allowed into the zone to help those who, miraculously, have survived. Those who are willing and able, please get involved. And be cognizant that the big organizations hawking Tshirts are NOT helping in this effort, though they are certainly shilling for your money, as always.