Raw food?

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of giving my cats raw food to eat. What kind of raw food would you feed your cats? My cats love Ham, actually pork in general, is ham ok to give to cats?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know that ham is a good choice.  It really isn't raw and it generally is very salty and has preservatives in it.  I don't feed raw only a little home cooked but either raw or homecooked has the advantage of knowing what is in the food you are giving your kitty.  It does need to be balanced and have the necessary supplements.  Kitties eat a small amount of food and they have nutritional needs that can't be met by just setting some raw food down for them to eat.    

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources  is a sticky at the top of this forum with a lot of good resources in it to help you get started.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just started feeding my cat raw this past week. I don't often encounter raw pork, so I haven't fed him any and don't plan to since I don't really cook with it (always cured pork products for us). So far he's just gotten chicken breasts and liver. And I've tossed in a sardine (not raw) for the Omega-3 fatty acids. Today I'll be adding turkey giblets to the mix and some ground beef in the next day or so (whenever my avocado is ripe enough for a taco night!).

But he's currently around 60/40 Fancy Feast Classics and raw as we test what meats he likes and study about doing the frankenprey diet to ensure we get a healthy balance. As Denice stated, they need a good balance that requires a variety of meats including organ meat, fats and bones, for example. In the wild, they'd be eating pretty much the whole animal, so it's important to get all those components into their diet when feeding raw.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The raw resources thread is a great place to start!

Many of us used commercial raw food when we transitioned. I make homemade now, but I used Nature's Variety to transition. Homemade isn't difficult, but as the others have said, it's important it be balanced. There are supplements called "premixes" that make just meat complete and balanced; there are supplements that make meat and fresh liver complete and balanced.

Some feed prey model raw, also called frankenprey. The idea is that by providing meat, bones and organs in the proper ratios / amounts, we feed our cats a "model" of a mouse. To account for what's missing by not using whole animal, some provide some supplements: some provide just egg yolks and sardines (providing choline, vitamin D, and omega 3s).

There's no reason not to offer your cats some pieces of raw meat as a treat - see if they like it, or if they recognize it as food. :lol3: Raw meat has a lot less smell than canned (or dry) food, so some cats don't know it's food at first. ;)