Raw Food recipes for hyperthyroid, IBD senior kitty with higher than normal liver values & blood pre

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I have completely eliminated dry food from my cat's menu.  We are now canned wet food (Weruva)  only.  I wish I could say that this is because I figured out that any wet food was better than dry food, but alas, that is not the case.  My cat began to drink too much water.  The vet suspected diabetes, but I knew better.  As the amount of dry food decreased, the amount of water that my cat was drinking decreased.  So, it was a no brainer that the dry food had to go.  Now that it is gone and I have seen the error of my ways, I am looking ahead to eventually transitioning my cat to a raw food diet.  I am even willing to buy a meat grinder and do everything from scratch if I have to.  I am currently reading all of the other threads in this forum to get more information.  But, I would like to know if there are recipes with specific supplements that I could add that would be helpful to me eliminting my cat's need of thyroid and blood pressure medication or at least lowering my cat's dependence on thyroid meds if nothing more. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello all!
I have completely eliminated dry food from my cat's menu.  We are now canned wet food (Weruva)  only.  I wish I could say that this is because I figured out that any wet food was better than dry food, but alas, that is not the case.  My cat began to drink too much water.  The vet suspected diabetes, but I knew better.  As the amount of dry food decreased, the amount of water that my cat was drinking decreased.  So, it was a no brainer that the dry food had to go.  Now that it is gone and I have seen the error of my ways, I am looking ahead to eventually transitioning my cat to a raw food diet.  I am even willing to buy a meat grinder and do everything from scratch if I have to.  I am currently reading all of the other threads in this forum to get more information.  But, I would like to know if there are recipes with specific supplements that I could add that would be helpful to me eliminting my cat's need of thyroid and blood pressure medication or at least lowering my cat's dependence on thyroid meds if nothing more. 
I am going to be following your thread. I have a 14 year old can who is hyperthyroid, history of struvite crystals, and also liver issues. He has had high ALT from the first time his blood work was ever tested. In May he had liver cancer. Two thirds of one liver lobe was removed and he is doing well now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to be following your thread. I have a 14 year old can who is hyperthyroid, history of struvite crystals, and also liver issues. He has had high ALT from the first time his blood work was ever tested. In May he had liver cancer. Two thirds of one liver lobe was removed and he is doing well now.
Hello and welcome.  So glad to know that your kitty is doing better.  The liver supplements that I've been using have helped my cat's ALT levels go down, but as of the last blood test they are still not normal.  We will be checking again this coming week.  I am so grateful for this website.  There is so much to learn.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, there is no food or supplement that can cure thyroid disease.

Blood pressure however is another thing. It may well be that getting a raw diet may help that out. Hopefully someone else with more experience will turn up. :vibes:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome.  So glad to know that your kitty is doing better.  The liver supplements that I've been using have helped my cat's ALT levels go down, but as of the last blood test they are still not normal.  We will be checking again this coming week.  I am so grateful for this website.  There is so much to learn.
What supplements did you give your cat for liver health.

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What supplements did you give your cat for liver health.
I am using feline milk thistle from Pet Wellbeing and liver support chews from Vetri-Science Laboratories.  For the first blood test that showed that my cat's ALT levels had decreased, we were only using the Vetri-Science liver support chews.  The vet wanted me to give my cat Denamarin but the pill was not being absorbed properly.  For this next blood test, I will be able to see what changes the feline milk thistle in combination with the liver support chews can produce.  I am certainly hoping for the best.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know anything about hyper-t, but I just googled, and found this. It doesn't address the specifics of a raw diet, but it's interesting and supports that feeding a raw diet is appropriate: http://holisticat.com/hypert.html

As to the blood pressure, we've been having Flowerbelle's high blood pressure checked. Unfortunately, the reason for the high blood pressure is what you have to figure out when it comes to lowering it. Cats don't have high blood pressure from clogged arteries like people do. The raw diet and the krill oil supplements have not affected Flowerbelle's blood pressure at all, and she needs her blood pressure medication. But her high BP is due to physical issues: a severe lung worm infection when she was rescued that permanently scarred her lungs and arteries in her lungs.

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about hyper-t, but I just googled, and found this. It doesn't address the specifics of a raw diet, but it's interesting and supports that feeding a raw diet is appropriate: http://holisticat.com/hypert.html
As to the blood pressure, we've been having Flowerbelle's high blood pressure checked. Unfortunately, the reason for the high blood pressure is what you have to figure out when it comes to lowering it. Cats don't have high blood pressure from clogged arteries like people do. The raw diet and the krill oil supplements have not affected Flowerbelle's blood pressure at all, and she needs her blood pressure medication. But her high BP is due to physical issues: a severe lung worm infection when she was rescued that permanently scarred her lungs and arteries in her lungs.
Wow.  I had no idea.  I will definitely check out the website you offered.