Raw Food And The Smell Problem

kathryncrawford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I've been feeding my cats completely raw for maybe a month and a half now, and they've had huge appetites up until now. Now it's been raining, and they've both been kinda sick, so that may have something to do with my problem. They beg for food, like they always have, but now they sniff it, and look at me like "this isn't food".

For example, last night they ate the ground chicken I gave them just fine. This morning refused to eat it/ate a bit and walked away. I finally broke down and poured a little bit of canned salmon juice on their food and they devoured it. Obviously the problem is the lack of smell with raw food.

I definitely don't want to pour salmon juice on their food all the time, so I'm trying to figure out how I can make their raw food smellier. Anyone have any topping ideas or recipe suggestions? I'm using Hare Today's whole grinds with their Alnutrin powder, and so far I've done turkey (which they loved), duck (meh) and chicken (the current battle).

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do they like Purebites treats? They're actually raw, just freeze dried, and you can crumble them to make a yummy powdered topper. There are a ton of flavours, so you have plenty of variety ;) (even more if you include the dog ones, which are just fine for kitties too!)

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might not be lack of smell - it could be boredom! I rotate proteins and brands quite a bit for variety, and that seems to help. We're halfway through a big batch of beef right now, and Biz is kind of over it. So every 3rd or 4th day, she gets a can of something different or some freeze dried turkey for the day. It keeps her interested in her food, and helps her to eat more of the beef.

If it is smell, you could try some fish oil on top. It's great for their coat, and might provide the fishy smell you need!

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats, like one of mine, goes for nutritional yeast. Ground up dry cat food or treats is pretty cheap and usually well-liked (you can put some in a blender, or use a morter and pestle - I've done it to just grind up a quarter cup or so), or crumble up freeze-dried food/treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathryncrawford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by "kind of sick"? Digestive stuff, URI stuff?

Our cats will not touch raw if they aren't feeling well. Stinky canned food is another story usually.
One cat has some bacterial crap that's giving him diarrhea. The other one has a bit of a cold (sneezing, runny nose, nothing bad). They haven't been sick since we started feeding them raw, so you may have a point. I've thought about getting a few cans of the stuff they used to get (Rawz) and adding a bit to the raw food to help.

kathryncrawford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might not be lack of smell - it could be boredom! I rotate proteins and brands quite a bit for variety, and that seems to help. We're halfway through a big batch of beef right now, and Biz is kind of over it. So every 3rd or 4th day, she gets a can of something different or some freeze dried turkey for the day. It keeps her interested in her food, and helps her to eat more of the beef.

If it is smell, you could try some fish oil on top. It's great for their coat, and might provide the fishy smell you need!
I just made the batch of chicken this last weekend, so I don't THINK it's boredom, but it might be! We rotate proteins about once a week, and I'm trying to figure out 3 or 4 that they like a lot to stick to.

kathryncrawford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they like Purebites treats? They're actually raw, just freeze dried, and you can crumble them to make a yummy powdered topper. There are a ton of flavours, so you have plenty of variety ;) (even more if you include the dog ones, which are just fine for kitties too!)
I've never tried purebites actually so not sure! I use Vital Proteins treats, and I have tried hiding some treats in the food as an incentive, which worked pretty well. Maybe I can grind it up and use it as a topper.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One cat has some bacterial crap that's giving him diarrhea. The other one has a bit of a cold (sneezing, runny nose, nothing bad). They haven't been sick since we started feeding them raw, so you may have a point. I've thought about getting a few cans of the stuff they used to get (Rawz) and adding a bit to the raw food to help.
I would give it a shot.
If they have a hard time smelling, raw food doesn't smell strongly so they may be like "nah" and turn away, but something super smelly that's familiar might get them eating better.
And for the stomach/diarrhea problems, when I have the flu I want the lightest of the light (crackers are nice, and water, weird coming from this steak obsessed person!) But when your stomach is on a roller coaster and you're getting sick, rich foods (naturally) sound terrible. (When you're sick, sometimes even the thought of something heavier can make you feel sicker!)
Queen Bee just went through a bout of constipation, and now has a runny nose/eye and sneezing. Canned food all around until she's better!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
When mine seem a little bored with their food, I crumble a piece of Stella & Chewy freeze-dried raw food on top—either Duck Duck Goose or Rabbit. They love that stuff! I also use the small pieces and dust from Northwest Naturals pork liver treats as a topper.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When mine seem a little bored with their food, I crumble a piece of Stella & Chewy freeze-dried raw food on top—either Duck Duck Goose or Rabbit. They love that stuff! I also use the small pieces and dust from Northwest Naturals pork liver treats as a topper.
When mine seem bored, I hold it up over my head and shout "NO! This raw chicken heart and this raw green (gags) tripe is for me! This is my dinner! And this thing...I dunno, is this a pancreas?...is my dessert!"
Then they're all dying to eat it. Brats.
:thumbsup:
In all seriousness I do think cats sometimes get bored with food. Some dogs do, too (Huskies can be asses to feed) but most dogs will suck down anything you offer. So keeping their food varied, and interesting, can really keep their appetite up.
K kathryncrawford , how many protein sources are you able to feed? Organs, etc?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll have to try that technique with Lily and Mocha. I’ll bet they’ll fall for it. Iris? She’ll tell me to enjoy myself. :lol:
Baby Girl cracks me up. Which I'm sure you all know.
If I ever had to feed her something she felt was disgusting I'd put it in a dish, sit down at the table and pretend to be eating and watch her beg for a few moments, then offer her the dish and watch her scarf it.

We had a snooty little dog here for awhile that wouldn't even try raw OR dog food. She wanted her "old" diet of human junk food (potato chips, candy bars...CANDY BARS. :argh:, and hot dogs.)
No soup for you, says that Seinfeld guy. We tough loved this little turd. She was acting a bratty way, but was only holding out for what she felt was "real" food. It was what she knew and what she learned so it wasn't really her fault.
....Candy bars. I still can't believe it.
We didn't even TRY raw with her but got her eating kibble. That was an achievement. No idea how she's doing now...:(

kathryncrawford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a snooty little dog here for awhile that wouldn't even try raw OR dog food. She wanted her "old" diet of human junk food (potato chips, candy bars...CANDY BARS. :argh:, and hot dogs.)
No soup for you, says that Seinfeld guy. We tough loved this little turd. She was acting a bratty way, but was only holding out for what she felt was "real" food. It was what she knew and what she learned so it wasn't really her fault.
....Candy bars. I still can't believe it.
We didn't even TRY raw with her but got her eating kibble. That was an achievement. No idea how she's doing now...:(
CANDY BARS???? Omg little dog, that's not even food for humans.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used
NuVet
FortiFlora
or other powders to make the diet enticing.
The food is eaten regardless. Did you remove all the dry food from the house? Is your cat holding out?
I had to feed 4 times a day, small portions; then add more food eventually to the morning and night portions, cancelling the 12(am/pm) option.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you use a raw food recipe? Liver has to be added! I cut up small raw chicken and hearts with scissors. In a blender I, mix liver, raw egg yoke, recommended vitamins, and water. Then I mix them all together in a large bowel. After that I freeze most of it, until it's needed.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the morning I mix the salmon oil, nuvet supplements, and raw food together.
I feed them twice a day. In the evening, plain raw food.

kathryncrawford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you use a raw food recipe? Liver has to be added! I cut up small raw chicken and hearts with scissors. In a blender I, mix liver, raw egg yoke, recommended vitamins, and water. Then I mix them all together in a large bowel. After that I freeze most of it, until it's needed.
I use Alnutrin from Hare today, and all the grinds I buy for them include organs and bones. The only exception is chicken necks, which are a treat meal. There's no dry food in the house, and they have set meal times every day.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried rabbit? Cats seem to like that from Hare Today.