Raw Feeding Help With Pregnant Cat

nw0401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding my BSH on a raw diet for over a year and up to now she has always been on frozen minces containing 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% offal. She gets approx 150 grams per day (she weighs roughly 5kg) and looks very healthy. She's is in the early stages of pregnancy and I'm aware she'll be upping her food intake but on reading more into it I'm starting to worry that by feeding her frozen mince she isn't getting enough taurine. Should I be supplementing her with a powder, or adding additional things to her frozen mince meals such as hearts etc? Or would giving her additional treats such as freeze dried sprats suffice? Really confused about whether I need to add anything extra or just increase her usual food.

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nw0401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi :) thank you!

I have read that, along with many other articles and I understand the amount she eats daily should increase. My question is more aimed at the fact that she's fed raw really - is she getting everything she needs with me feeding frozen mince (with no added supplements) as I've read a few forums stating freezing and mincing reduces the taurine so therefore I'm wondering if I should be giving her any additional high taurine foods alongside her normal food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think there are taurine supplements you can obtain. Whether taurine builds up or any excess is excreted I don't know but you could research that.

If it were me, I think I'd add commercial kitten food for her, and maybe goat milk :)

nw0401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I hadn't thought about goats milk - will look into that. I've seen taurine supplements and from what I've read any excess is just peed out, I'd rather her get what she needs from her food rather than adding additional supplements but if need be then I will. I've been thinking about changing her over on to a good quality wet food throughout the pregnancy but I'm not sure if this will do more harm than good - she's done great on raw so far, I just want to make sure she's getting all the nutrients she should be and there's very little info online when it comes to pregnant cats and raw feeding.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about just adding canned kitten food to her diet while she's pregnant, and nursing? You wouldn't be changing her diet so much, just adding to it.

Then at some point after the kittens are weaned you'd be able to eliminate the canned food :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the simplest solution has already been suggested by Furballsmom Furballsmom . Add some cat food to her diet. You can get taurine supplements though. She does need taurine in her regular diet , pregnant or not. Cat food manufacturers do add it to the food. Get a good quality food and that will work. You don’t give specifics on the raw food you provide but cats get the taurine from muscle tissue of prey. If it’s chicken, the heart has the highest amount. I think beef has most in the tongue. It varies in each creature. Your kitty always needs taurine. Grinding food reduces taurine levels but cooking food reduces it even more. She really needs it to help form healthy babies but also for her own health. Thanks for raising healthy kitties! I’d love to see photos of Mom and of the babies once they get here. Congratulations on becoming a baby cat guardian! :heartshape:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would suggest giving her a dish or two a day of powdered PetAg kitten formula. Not only does it have taurine, it will give her the extra calcium she needs for now and through nursing.

For extra protein, add boiled chicken, liver, or eggs.

Cheese and plain, full fat yogurt are also excellent dairy choices.

And yes, she will need additional meals and more food overall. :)

nw0401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all so much for your help! The food she's on at the moment is a ready mixed frozen minced raw that contains 80% mixed meat, 10% bone and 10% offal. It's only recently that I've read minces contain less taurine, I guess I just presumed she were fine just on the minces as they're already frozen in the correct proportions of meat/bone/offal. I've ordered her some Lily's Kitchen wet and Applaws wet food to give her midday (with raw in the morning and evening). I'll also add additional hearts to her food weekly. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I've never heard of PetAg Kitten formula - I'm in the UK and had a quick google but not sure I can get it over here? I were looking at the Smilla cat milk on Zooplus, is this a similar sort of thing and would it be fine to give daily? Also if anyone can recommend a better wet food for her I'm open to trying others. Thanks again, all these different foods are a minefield!