Raw Feeding And Going To The Bathroom

Squeakers232018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if it is ok if my cat is eating raw and does not have super firm poop. My other cat eats raw and his poop seems more normal to what others say is expected. We used this cats bone and it did not seem to make a difference, and most of his meats he eats are lean. Should I be concerned about this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I'm very sorry no one has replied to you!
Possibly not concerned, --has he been in to the vet lately?

I'm not familiar with calcium requirements of raw feeding, but hopefully someone else will have a chance to comment.

Do you feed any kibble at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Squeakers232018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have not been to the vet yet, should go next month for a checkup. They do not eat any kibble, only meat. Thanks for the reply.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
...and everything else, especially the water consumption with this kitty, and activity is normal?

Squeakers232018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The water is hard to tell, I don’t really see either drink too much. However everything else is normal, super playful and always hungry.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was wondering if it is ok if my cat is eating raw and does not have super firm poop. My other cat eats raw and his poop seems more normal to what others say is expected. We used this cats bone and it did not seem to make a difference, and most of his meats he eats are lean. Should I be concerned about this?
Hi, S Squeakers232018 . What recipe do you use? Or are you using commercial raw? How long have you been feeding them raw?

You say that you “used this cats bone and it did not seem to make a difference.” I’m not sure what you mean. Can you explain more?

Are you using something like psyllium husk for constipation? That might cause slightly softer poop. It wouldn’t necessarily affect both cats the same way.

Two of mine have the small, firmer poop that a lot of raw feeders report, but my third girl has larger poop that often looks a bit darker and softer. That’s just the way she “processes” her food. It was the same when I fed them canned. Hers were larger and darker. None of the three has smelly poop on raw.

Without knowing a bit more, I can’t really say, but it doesn’t sound abnormal to me. Unless your kitty is acting off, not eating, straining in the box, having diarrhea, or not using the box, it sounds like you might be able to wait for your vet visit next month. I’d continue to keep track of his behavior and his “output” to make sure there are no changes, though.

Squeakers232018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. My boyfriend makes the raw food, using a ratio that he found online. We use different meats, like chicken,beef, pork and rabbit.

We do not add any supplements to the meat. On Tuesdays and Saturday for one meal they get a hard boiled egg. Then on Thursday we add salmon oil to the meat.

Sorry the used the bone was a typo and it wouldn’t let me edit it. I meant we added more bone to his diet, then when we originally started, to see if that mhelped and it did not. Both cats have been eating raw since we got them, so this cat has been eating it for 3 months.