Ragdoll??? Adopted This Guy Mom Is 100% Ragdoll. What Do You Think He Is?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Ragdoll is a pointed cat, so if the mom was cream and white, she's definitely not a purebred Ragdoll. Not seeing pictures of the mom, I can't tell you how likely it is that the mom has Ragdoll ancestry... however, if the person who has the cats is letting the kittens go to new homes as early as 6 weeks, I wouldn't be confident that she knows what she is talking about as far as the breeds of the parents. It's possible that she was making guesses about the parents' breeds based on how they look, or maybe she got them from someone else who made guesses about their breeds.

I would describe your kitten as a cream and white domestic longhair. At 6 weeks, a kitten is really too young to leave its mother. Kittens at 6 weeks are just little babies still. They often go through a wilder stage between 8-12 weeks as they test boundaries so you'll need to take the place of his mom and littermates in teaching him proper behavior. Be consistent and gentle, and feel free to use this site as a resource for advice if you need help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D4pink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
669F7B64-F47D-484A-88E7-9BCDF9D85B8D.jpeg
D7B7BC2E-FD4E-4F4B-BA94-F31AD0315618.jpeg
Some of the dad's breed description is going to depend on which association you go to. I'm most familiar with CFA, but also know some of the comparisons to TICA.

CFA recognizes only 4 colors for Siamese--seal, chocolate, blue, and lilac--all of them solid colors. Lynx is the term for the tabby pattern in pointed cats, and it can occur in any color.
A number of years ago CFA decided to create a new designation for Siamese cats that have other color points, including lynx points. This is the Colorpoint breed. Both Siamese and Colorpoint come in shorthair only.

TICA recognizes all colors under their Siamese breed standard, including the lynx points.

Both CFA and TICA recognize the Oriental breed, which has a body type similar to the Siamese but can come in any color and pattern, not only pointed. Orientals come in both shorthair and longhair varieties.

If you thought the dad looked like a longhaired Siamese, the most likely breed would be Oriental Longhair, or Oriental Longhair mix.

Another longhaired pointed breed is the Birman, but the body type
That is his brother if it helps. The mom looked to have similar colors to my kitten.
The dad did not have long hair I’m sorry. I asked the woman to send me a pic of the parents who knows of she will. The cat I though was the dad was her other Ragdoll cat. She said the dad is not theirs and they bred them to get this sordid trait so of both cats.
He was far too young to be taken from his mother (8 weeks is the absolute bare minimum, but 12-16 weeks is ideal). This honestly doesn't sound like a very reputable breeder. If your kitten's parents were both pointed cats, then he should be pointed as well, and he's not.

You aren't allergic to him because he's a kitten. I also have a cat allergy, and I didn't start reacting to my kittens until they were around 6 months old and started shedding.
I don’t know that the person is a breeder?
He was far too young to be taken from his mother (8 weeks is the absolute bare minimum, but 12-16 weeks is ideal). This honestly doesn't sound like a very reputable breeder. If your kitten's parents were both pointed cats, then he should be pointed as well, and he's not.

You aren't allergic to him because he's a kitten. I also have a cat allergy, and I didn't start reacting to my kittens until they were around 6 months old and started shedding.
I don’t know that they bred them for money. I think they wanted a few and gave some away. I don’t know. Whatever he is I adore him. I just wanted too understand h.

D4pink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Ragdoll is a pointed cat, so if the mom was cream and white, she's definitely not a purebred Ragdoll. Not seeing pictures of the mom, I can't tell you how likely it is that the mom has Ragdoll ancestry... however, if the person who has the cats is letting the kittens go to new homes as early as 6 weeks, I wouldn't be confident that she knows what she is talking about as far as the breeds of the parents. It's possible that she was making guesses about the parents' breeds based on how they look, or maybe she got them from someone else who made guesses about their breeds.

I would describe your kitten as a cream and white domestic longhair. At 6 weeks, a kitten is really too young to leave its mother. Kittens at 6 weeks are just little babies still. They often go through a wilder stage between 8-12 weeks as they test boundaries so you'll need to take the place of his mom and littermates in teaching him proper behavior. Be consistent and gentle, and feel free to use this site as a resource for advice if you need help!
Thank you! I had no idea. He was born April 8th she said. Is there anything I should do since he is so too?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly, you need to be consistent, gentle, and patient. You may want to read about raising orphaned 6 week old kittens, because a kitten separated from his mother at this age is similar to an orphan; many kittens at this age are not even weaned yet. As he gets older he will become more energetic and playful, and may go through a stage where he experiments with "hunting" and biting you (my kids call this the "piranha stage"). Never allow anyone to use their hands (or feet) as play toys with him, even if it's cute right now. Kittens need to learn that human skin is so delicate that even the slightest touch of a tooth or claw can hurt. I personally use a high pitched squeal ("eeee!") if a kitten ever touches my skin with a tooth or claw, because that is what littermates do to say "stop!" when kitten play gets too rough. Some people say "ouch!" or use a hiss. Have lots of appropriate toys so that you can redirect his energy. Bored, restless kittens get into more trouble than tired-out kittens.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Such a sweet little baby kit. His brother is breaking my heart here. :loveeyes:.
I agree, he is very young and will need your help to continue social learning about play rules as well as lots of 'mothering' and close supervision as he explores his environment and hones hunting skills. Important to ignore behaviours like biting so try hard to respond while he is being sweet and good behaviour to reinforce those. Good nutrition is also a must as he is growing super fast now.

D4pink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I had no idea. He was born April 8th she said. Is there anything I should do since he is so too?
So young
Mostly, you need to be consistent, gentle, and patient. You may want to read about raising orphaned 6 week old kittens, because a kitten separated from his mother at this age is similar to an orphan; many kittens at this age are not even weaned yet. As he gets older he will become more energetic and playful, and may go through a stage where he experiments with "hunting" and biting you (my kids call this the "piranha stage"). Never allow anyone to use their hands (or feet) as play toys with him, even if it's cute right now. Kittens need to learn that human skin is so delicate that even the slightest touch of a tooth or claw can hurt. I personally use a high pitched squeal ("eeee!") if a kitten ever touches my skin with a tooth or claw, because that is what littermates do to say "stop!" when kitten play gets too rough. Some people say "ouch!" or use a hiss. Have lots of appropriate toys so that you can redirect his energy. Bored, restless kittens get into more trouble than tired-out kittens.
thabk you! Already started doing that and he is listening. Great tip!

D4pink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such a sweet little baby kit. His brother is breaking my heart here. :loveeyes:.
I agree, he is very young and will need your help to continue social learning about play rules as well as lots of 'mothering' and close supervision as he explores his environment and hones hunting skills. Important to ignore behaviours like biting so try hard to respond while he is being sweet and good behaviour to reinforce those. Good nutrition is also a must as he is growing super fast now.
Thank you! What would you suggest for food? Brand?