Rad Cat Broken Container

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I order Rad Cat from Only Natural Pet and for the first time I received two containers that were broken. Both were broken on the lid or near the very top of the container. It's pretty obvious they broke during transition because of poor packing (stacked on top of each other with no padding). ONP did refund me, but I really need these two containers. There was some plastic pieces on the top of the food, but the food was frozen solid so no plastic got in the food. I'm thinking about thawing it and then just scooping the top part off and throwing it away (to be extra safe) and feeding the rest. Has this happened to anyone else? I did email Rad Cat, but I assume they'll tell me not to feed it. It seems like a huge waste to throw away two 24oz containers.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. If it was frozen solid on arrival, the containers were damaged by UPS/FedEx (or whatever shipper), it's perfectly safe to use. I'd just move it to some empty freezer containers or freezer Ziploc bags.

Shippers treat packages like footballs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that I have a third container that is cracked (not as bad as the other two). ugh! On this one the plastic piece wasn't missing, i removed it so it wouldn't break off during thawing. I'm probably going to just use the food anyway. All evidence points to poor packing by the shipper so I don't think the food is compromised. It was frozen solid when it arrived.

Attachments

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say you should be okay. The pet store that I buy from, they said when it arrives it's in a crate with dry ice. Looks like the plastic was just super cold and frozen and broke. As long as it was solid when you got it, I think you're fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say you should be okay. The pet store that I buy from, they said when it arrives it's in a crate with dry ice. Looks like the plastic was just super cold and frozen and broke. As long as it was solid when you got it, I think you're fine.
Thats good to know! ONP ships with dry ice, too. All my cats that eat it are younger and healthy anyway, so I'm not really worried about it. I do wish RC would change their packaging though, i feel like these containers are not very sturdy.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats good to know! ONP ships with dry ice, too. All my cats that eat it are younger and healthy anyway, so I'm not really worried about it. I do wish RC would change their packaging though, i feel like these containers are not very sturdy.
Yeah - I agree. I also wish they'd have a protective plastic film over the meat when you open the container just so that you have an extra layer of protection so you know it's clean and the lid hasn't been opened by anyone. I had to call Rad cat and speak to them about my kitty who's on atopica ( immuno suppressant for severe allergy itching ). The dermo says no raw food due to risk of toxoplasma potential but the rad cat people were super knowledgeable on the subject and said as long as the meat is frozen at 0 or colder for 2 or more days, there is no risk for that at all. Well, dermo still says no raw......other groups mentioned that well, you don't know what happens during transport, if it's sitting on a loading dock for an hour or two before it's put away - but the pet store told me that it comes in a crate with the dry ice and in a refrigerated truck - I'm very comfortable with the transport process and food safety measures of ensuring it stays frozen. Sorry, I went off chasing a rabbit there...
LOL