Quit Smoking

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave up about 38 years 10 months and 21 days ago exactly.
Well done, it's hard for the first month or so and you have to want to do it. I used to put the money I would have spent on cigarettes onto a jar and when the urge for one came on me I would buy somwthing out of the money and look at it and tell myself I would have this if I still smoked. Give yourself a target, keep busy and you will get there. Despite my flippant opening line, I am proud of myself for doing it and have never wanted another cigarette. It's day 13 for you, keep going you will be so glad you did.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, good for you! My husband quit 18 days ago. He wasn't a heavy smoker, 5 to 10 a day, but he got a nasty case of bronchitis so he decided to stop smoking while it was impossible for him to smoke.

He's doing OK so far.

Are you chewing gum or using nicotine patches or anything like that?

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I quit smoking on the 23rd August, cold turkey. I'm doing ok with it.
Any others out there?
I quite in August 1998 after 32 yrs. of smoking. Sadly it was too late as I now have Emphysema. I am paying the price now! I didn't go cold turkey but did use the Nicorette gum. I was ready to quit and had made up my mind. It amazes me that anyone can even afford to smoke now. Cigarettes are still cheap in comparison to the health costs associated with COPD/Emphysema.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also tried quitting SO many times......Finally I went on Wellbutrin, a mild antidepressant, and it worked. At least I didn't kill anyone! I quit on New years eve, 1999 going into 2000. Seemed like a good time. It was definitely the hardest thing I ever went through, I still enjoy smelling someone smoking next to me. The gum, the patch. I used both of them and STILL smoked, while I was using them! I think the gum helped a little because i had something in my mouth. It is a horrible addiction and is very hard to do. I see people now smoking and think of all the money they are spending, but I am still jealous. I was hooked really hard. You really can't think, "oh I will never have a cigarette for the rest of my life" that is what made me fail. Just live by getting through each day at a time, one day at a time......

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A former pack-a-day smoker here. I quit in 1983. It was hard. The worst times for me were situational and social. First one in the morning with my coffee. Hanging out with my best friend who smoked the same brand (and who didn’t quit). We’re such creatures of habit.

My dad quit cold turkey in his late 60s after he had a heart attack. He’d been smoking since he was a teenager. He later died of lung cancer, and if I hadn’t already quit, I think watching him go through that would have done it. :(

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quite in August 1998 after 32 yrs. of smoking. Sadly it was too late as I now have Emphysema. I am paying the price now! I didn't go cold turkey but did use the Nicorette gum. I was ready to quit and had made up my mind. It amazes me that anyone can even afford to smoke now. Cigarettes are still cheap in comparison to the health costs associated with COPD/Emphysema.
My dad smoked for 30 some years as well and also has Emphysema because of it. His muscles are wasting away because he just doesn't get enough oxygen sometimes and even though he tries to keep active it's hard for him.

Meanwhile I never smoked, but my lungs are f-ed because I grew up around people who did. Far as I'm concerned smoking in a house, apartment, vehicle, or other enclosed space where a child is present or bringing your child somewhere you know people will be smoking should be considered child abuse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you chewing gum or using nicotine patches or anything like that?
No, cold turkey. It's the only way for me, all the NRT's just prolong the addiction IMO.

I now have Emphysema.
I'm very sorry to hear that and I wish you the very best. I didn't purraise your post because it would look like I'm purraising that you have Emphysema . I'm sure you know what I mean.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quit smoking on the 23rd August, cold turkey. I'm doing ok with it.
Any others out there?
I'm wishing the very best for you. I quit smoking 15 years ago when I was hospitalized with double pneumonia as a result of smoking. The doctors put a nicotine patch on me and very firmly told me I was through with cigarettes. After I was home again my primary care doctor helped me get through the first weeks. If I remember right, the manufacturer of the nicotine patch recommended staying on each step for just two weeks, but my doctor told me to take all the time I needed in order to quit and it worked. Now I can't even stand the sight or smell of a cigarette because I get so grossed out by them.