Quick Qestion RE: RAW feeding

andieg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Background -

Our Himalayan cat has pretty much made the transition to Stella & Chewy's raw beef. I give one in AM and one in PM and will slowly split another patty over the two meals. I think that should be enough-right now he seems satisfied with the one at each meal. He's about 12 pounds, when he was eating canned food, he would sometimes eat 6+ oz each meal but lately before raw he was eating much less - maybe due to winter and not needing as much or eating elsewhere since he likes going out for most of the day - has a lot of fur and enjoys being outside. He is smart enough to stay in when it is too cold or raining, and through the night if it's too cold (we have two cat houses with heat pads for him in protected areas). Or thought he was bored even though had a variety that he loved. That's when I decided to try the raw and he devoured it! (He was an abandoned cat that found his way into our lives).

I defrost the patties in the fridge, but how long can it stay in the fridge after it has defrosted?  And for his weight, is the two or three patties enough.

Do you know of other brand that have a mixed variety sample pack? I'd like to see if he'd enjoy a variety but it's rather costly to experiment.

I had also bought freeze dried, which he isn't interested in.

And I want to say thank you to all of you that have been around this site, you have helped me very much. I use the search bar to find answers to issues, and it is because of coming here that I found out about lysine powder. Our other adoptee has feline herpes - wasn't eating well or willing to digest the gel the vet prescribed. Now he is eating wonderfully with the powder and I use my mini krupps grinder to smooth out his canned food so it is easy for him to eat. I also put his dish on a stand raising it so he doesn't have to tilt his head down alleviating the congestion and snot from tilting his head to the dish on the floor. I've also ordered forti flora just in case he still wouldn't eat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it the frozen Stella and Chewy's for dogs? Just wanted to check
The dog ones do have taurine in them.

I keep about 2 days of raw food in the fridge.

3 patties should be enough for your cat. Does he seem hungry in between meals? If not, then the current amount of food is fine.

Primal Pet has a sample pack you can try: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/education/pak I've seen samples of frozen raw food at the pet store. Maybe you can ask at your local pet store.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read a blog in which the Vet ( A dr. Jean - I forgot-the -last -name) specifically talked about feeding cats commercial raw meant for dogs. She said that it isn't just the taurine requirments that differ from Dog to Cat. She said that while dogs can eat cat food cats should not eat dog food. She also said that was true whether or not taurine was added to the food. Now, I am confused as I have on occasion added taurine to primal Venison and fed it to my cats.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not only about the taurine. 

Dogs have a slightly more flexible system than cats.  They produce amylase in quantities sufficient to process a certain amount of plant matter.  This is a winter survival mechanism for dogs. 

Cat's systems are more narrowly geared for a diet of small prey exclusively.  Their survival mechanism is their ability to eat a large variety of prey, including insects which are usually plentiful. 

A lot of dog foods (even raw) still contain fairly large amounts of plant/veggie/grain fillers.  Given the dogs system, it's okay (not necessarily great)  for them.  However, it is is not appropriate for cats, as they do not produce the same amount of amylase.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

andieg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so what brand of frozen cat food (NOT freeze dried) is the best to give a cat

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

andieg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just ordered the primal variety pak so he can try different types besides beef.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered the primal variety pak so he can try different types besides beef.
Our cats love Primal and Rad Cat... oddly, they went from preferring frozen to preferring freeze-dried. In any case, I hope you find something your cat likes!