Quick Help With Whole Chicken Recipe

fureverloved

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I hope to get responses to this post soon....

I just purchase four whole chickens and ground them up, along with the included organs. As per the feline-nutrition.org recipe, which says at the bottom of the page that whole chickens may be used, I removed the necks and backbones. 

My question is, with the necks and backbones removed, will the bone content be proper?.. Keeping in mind the following--- The recipe says that if I can't find 14oz. chicken heart (per 4.8lb. meat/bones/skin), then add in 14oz. of chicken thigh meat (Another question-Not sure if this means boneless meat or not?! ). I don't have access to hearts at the moment.

Thanks In Advance!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda hard to say without knowing the weights of each of the the chicken components you are using. I would guess that even with the organs and the added chicken thigh meat the bone content would still be high but I can't say if it would be very high or a little high.

I'm glad they recommend removing the back and neck.  Most recipes just say to use the whole carcass. Not a good idea in my opinion.

You can see from the chart below that all of the chicken parts are over 10% by themselves. If you weight each of the bone-in parts you are using you can use the information from the chart to estimate your total bone percentage.

Last edited: