questions about white coat shampoos

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I use these white coat shampoos on multi colored pets? if no what color coat should be avoided and why?

And some of these shampoos say dog but is it safe to use on cat's? it doesn't say

If there is one in this list that is safe for all color coats and cats what one is it?

here are the links to the shampoos I have questions about some are for both cat and dog thou

http://www.petco.com/product/115716...poo-and-Conditioner.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/111717...at-Shampoo-for-Pets.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/109282/Viva-La-Dog-Spa-White-Coat-Dog-Shampoo.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/5340/8...poo-And-Conditioner.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/109338...Dog-And-Cat-Shampoo.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/15461/...ng-Shampoo-for-Dogs.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I'm asking first before I use any one my pets I don't wan't to hurt my animals of any way Thanks

Yes I ask allot of questions on here, It's because I like this site and it's allot more helpful for me, Because you guy's care Thanks a bunch.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would not use a dog shampoo on a cat. You don't know what ingredients it might have that are safe for dogs but not cats.

I haven't used any of the brands you listed so can't comment on those. I use Jerob Snowy Blue Shampoo on my show cats. I started using it first on just my black & white cat. I was told that it would not dull the black fur at all and I've found that to be true. She comes out with super shiny black fur and brilliant white. Recently a friend who also shows cats told me she uses it on all of her cats. She has colors from solid black through brown tabby to colorpoint and it works well for all of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not use a dog shampoo on a cat. You don't know what ingredients it might have that are safe for dogs but not cats.

I haven't used any of the brands you listed so can't comment on those. I use Jerob Snowy Blue Shampoo on my show cats. I started using it first on just my black & white cat. I was told that it would not dull the black fur at all and I've found that to be true. She comes out with super shiny black fur and brilliant white. Recently a friend who also shows cats told me she uses it on all of her cats. She has colors from solid black through brown tabby to colorpoint and it works well for all of them.
That's cool I never used dog shampoo on a cat or visa versa it was a question because sometimes a dog product you can use a cat but its rare that's there is a white coat cat n dog shampoo and were is jerob shold?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the normal run of things, shorthair cats do not need bathing and many longhairs do not either.  If a cat is being show, or has something on it's coat it mustn't be allowed to groom out, or there is a medical cause that's another matter.

So this is a nosy question: why do your cats need bathing?

Avoid anything with teatree oil or similar ingredients as they are toxic to cats.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the normal run of things, shorthair cats do not need bathing and many longhairs do not either.  If a cat is being show, or has something on it's coat it mustn't be allowed to groom out, or there is a medical cause that's another matter.

So this is a nosy question: why do your cats need bathing?

Avoid anything with teatree oil or similar ingredients as they are toxic to cats.
my cats like to lay in the litter box

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need a specific coat colour shampoo for general bathing. 

I use the bio-groom range for bathing before shows, they have several different varieties. 

Or you could just stop the cats from laying in their trays. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need a specific coat colour shampoo for general bathing. 

I use the bio-groom range for bathing before shows, they have several different varieties. 

Or you could just stop the cats from laying in their trays. 
after my bro got a GSD they started laying in the trays and maybe I don't wan't to look at a dirty cat

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
after my bro got a GSD they started laying in the trays and maybe I don't wan't to look at a dirty cat
The solution isn't washing the cats, it's getting your brother into his own place - ir you into yours,  Also if the trays are clean the cats won't get dirty.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The solution isn't washing the cats, it's getting your brother into his own place - ir you into yours,  Also if the trays are clean the cats won't get dirty.
Agree, the poor cats sound very stressed having the dog around.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

I haven't used any of the brands you listed so can't comment on those. I use Jerob Snowy Blue Shampoo on my show cats. I started using it first on just my black
That's cool I never used dog shampoo on a cat or visa versa it was a question because sometimes a dog product you can use a cat but its rare that's there is a white coat cat n dog shampoo and were is jerob sold?
I've always ordered it from their website but I've also seen it sold by vendors at cat shows. I don't think places like PetCo or PetSmart sell it.

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, same confusion here, I have pure white domestic cat, this is the first time he gets bath. So for general bathing, no need special shampoo for white coat?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also like the Jerob products. I use the snowy blue on my silvers and the mahagony gold on my goldens. I have been taught to never use a bleaching shampoo on a white coat - it makes it more easily stained. The Jerob shampoos are just color brighteners. You will not find it in a pet store. Either order on line or buy at a cat show.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi there, same confusion here, I have pure white domestic cat, this is the first time he gets bath. So for general bathing, no need special shampoo for white coat?
You don't necessarily need the specialty shampoo for general bathing, but be sure you're using something mild. Original Dawn dish detergent works well as a degreaser (not the concentrated, scented, or antibacterial ones). I wouldn't use it too often because is can dry both the fur and skin. Unscented baby shampoo works well and isn't as harsh as Dawn.

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't necessarily need the specialty shampoo for general bathing, but be sure you're using something mild. Original Dawn dish detergent works well as a degreaser (not the concentrated, scented, or antibacterial ones). I wouldn't use it too often because is can dry both the fur and skin. Unscented baby shampoo works well and isn't as harsh as Dawn.
duly noted, thanks for your advice :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you use Dawn, I suggest diluting it 50/50 with water. If used full strength it can be difficult to rinse out completely and diluted works just fine.
Good point. I dilute any shampoo I use, including the specialty ones.