Questions about the transmission of Panleukopenia. PLEASE ANSWER!

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.
I am a veterinary assistant at a small animal clinic and I work around 40 hours a week. I recently took in 3 foster kittens that are about 6 weeks old. On Saturday (yesterday) at the clinic, we had a patient come in for a recheck examination. The patient had been seen through a local emergency clinic and was diagnosed with panleukopenia 2-3 weeks ago. The patient recovered well and was coming to us for a recheck. Since I have 3 very young, unvaccinated kittens at my home, I asked another technician to do the appointment so that I wouldn't come into contact with the patient and risk exposing my foster kittens to panleukopenia. My co-worker took the appointment and I NEVER ACTUALLY EVER TOUCHED THE CAT OR ENTERED THE EXAM ROOM WHERE THE CAT WAS. However, I was walking around near my co-worker (the one that did interact with the cat) and I went out the front door of the clinic. I think I am WAY overthinking this, but I am worried that I touched the handles of the front door of the clinic because the cat's owner had to touch the same handles to enter and exit the clinic and I am worried that she would have some of the virus on her hands (from touching her cat) and then she spread it to the door handles, which I then touched. I went home and took my scrubs off in the garage and changed into clean clothes. I also took my work shoes off in the garage and sprayed them with Virkon (a veterinary grade disinfectant - one of the few that will kill panleukopenia). I also sprayed down my keys and phone. I took a shower when I got home and then went upstairs to interact with the kittens. All 3 kittens are unvaccinated (they all have their first vaccine visits next week). I also spoke to one of the veterinarians at the clinic about my concerns and she said that it was nearly impossible for the kittens to be exposed to panleukopenia this way and she was sure they would be fine. I figure I would have had to actually get the cat's secretions onto me (I think it's spread via secretions like saliva, urine, and feces... right?) So the cat would have had to be actively shedding the virus, I would have had to touch the cat and/or it's secretions and then not wash my hands for this to be an issue, right? I am just looking for reassurance as I am really anxious and losing sleep over this.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you and your kittens will be fine. You took every precaution possible. I appreciate your concern. Too many techs just don’t take cleanliness seriously enough and you do. Good job. Take a deep breath. I don’t see any way you could have exposed your little charges to this virus. The vet you spoke to wouldn’t steer you wrong I. This is too serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you and your kittens will be fine. You took every precaution possible. I appreciate your concern. Too many techs just don’t take cleanliness seriously enough and you do. Good job. Take a deep breath. I don’t see any way you could have exposed your little charges to this virus. The vet you spoke to wouldn’t steer you wrong I. This is too serious.
I think you're right. It's my job to protect all of my patients, fosters, and personal animals and I take that very seriously. I am just so anxious about it, but I think I am WAY overthinking it. I literally don't think I could have done anything else to prevent it. I know that indirect exposure is possible, but I would have had to come into contact with the virus and I don't think that even happened that way. I think I would have had to actually touch the cat's secretions and then not wash my hands for it to be an issue. Thank you for your reply.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're right. It's my job to protect all of my patients, fosters, and personal animals and I take that very seriously. I am just so anxious about it, but I think I am WAY overthinking it. I literally don't think I could have done anything else to prevent it. I know that indirect exposure is possible, but I would have had to come into contact with the virus and I don't think that even happened that way. I think I would have had to actually touch the cat's secretions and then not wash my hands for it to be an issue. Thank you for your reply.
Yes, totally agreed. How long have you been teching?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I work at a feline only hospital.
You are right to be concerned, as feline pan leukemia is a nasty resilient disease. It can live on inanimate surfaces for a year. It can survive some extreme temperatures.
That being said, you did everything to protect your kittens and I don’t see how you could have spread it. Only thing I would do different is to spray out my car.

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right to be concerned, as feline pan leukemia is a nasty resilient disease. It can live on inanimate surfaces for a year. It can survive some extreme temperatures.
That being said, you did everything to protect your kittens and I don’t see how you could have spread it. Only thing I would do different is to spray out my car.
Thank you! I don't see how I could have either - I feel like the possibility is incredibly small from this circumstance.

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, totally agreed. How long have you been teching?
I am a pre-veterinary student graduating from undergrad this December and I'm currently applying to vet school! I have been working as an assistant/tech/nurse during my summer and winter breaks from school since the summer of 2019 after my freshman year at college!

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like without me even touching the cat or the exam room that he was in make the chances very close to zero.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a pre-veterinary student graduating from undergrad this December and I'm currently applying to vet school! I have been working as an assistant/tech/nurse during my summer and winter breaks from school since the summer of 2019 after my freshman year at college!
Good for you! It sounds like you’ve got a really good foundation to be a good veterinarian. I’ve seen so many vets that in my opinion, don’t make the grade because of their behaviors when the owners turn their back. I appreciate what you’re doing and it sounds like you were on the right track.

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good for you! It sounds like you’ve got a really good foundation to be a good veterinarian. I’ve seen so many vets that in my opinion, don’t make the grade because of their behaviors when the owners turn their back. I appreciate what you’re doing and it sounds like you were on the right track.
Thank you so much! it’s been about 48 hours and *knock on wood* my kittens are doing amazing- I think I got all worked up over literally nothing :)

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thing that helps me is to think of ALL the animals that come through the vet's office with serious infectious diseases, sometimes without anyone ever even knowing about them -- and then think about how infrequently the vets have to take their own pets in for care. You've likely been exposed to much worse things without realizing, but a) you practice proper hygiene and b) there are few diseases that can still infect at the low particle counts you'd be bringing home anyway.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another thing that helps me is to think of ALL the animals that come through the vet's office with serious infectious diseases, sometimes without anyone ever even knowing about them -- and then think about how infrequently the vets have to take their own pets in for care. You've likely been exposed to much worse things without realizing, but a) you practice proper hygiene and b) there are few diseases that can still infect at the low particle counts you'd be bringing home anyway.
Spot on!! Just like corona virus. Proper, standard hygiene.