Questions about ear mites

lightfx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started noticing brownish gunk in my kittens outer ear. I'm not sure if its ear mites or his ears are just dirty. From what I read its most likely ear mites.. but I'm still not sure.

Is there a way to get rid of it without seeing a vet? I don't have the money at the moment and my parents probably won't pay for it.

Is there a chance that it would just go away on its own? :eek:

I will be able to get enough money in a few weeks but by then I'm afraid it might get worse.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat needs to go to his vet to have a sample of this substance in his ears tested under a microscope to confirm ear mites. Then, he will be given drops to put in the ears once or twice a day which should eliminate the mites. Leaving this untreated can have negative consequences for your kitty.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there is any way I would take your kitten to the vet ASAP. Untreated earmites can cause lots of problems for your kitty. A couple months ago there was a cat at my vet that had earmites/infection left untreated and became paralized because of it. I know that's an extremely rare but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Also, I don't know if you have any other pets but earmites are contagious and easily spread.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise