Question regarding softened dry kibble

rlyeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wondering roughly how long softened dry kibble can be left out before it should be changed.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Rlyeh, soften as in water added to it to soften it or left long enough till it goes soft?
Some say in a few short hours and also depending on the weather and humidity. Any food left out in the open long enough will promote bacteria growth, even if it still looks fresh. Dosen't mean it's dry it can last forever. They are perishables.
You don't want a sick kitty, don't you?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rlyeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Water added. My cat had her 307 tooth removed yesterday and is typically a nibbler throughout the day on dry food. So it's been a bit of a challenge not having a known set feeding time.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
307 tooth? What's that?
I think if it's not a big amount with water added, kibble will expand, and your cat finishes it in one sitting will be good. Unless you are free feeding then its no good. Or if you have the time, give your cat in small amount and see how much he finish it. Prolong is no good.
How about giving her wet food?
Maybe those who feed kibble a to their cats might be able to help you better.

Last edited:

rlyeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
307 tooth is lower left premolar. It was in process of reabsorption. I've been trying her with various brands & styles of wet food to no real success. Thank you for your response, it gives me some insight towards what to do here.

rlyeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet said, do the softened dry kibble (I forgot to ask her how long to leave it out), any complications or concerns to call right away, and even if all was well, to call her on Monday just to let her know that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I soften my kibble for the outside cats and mix it with water and a slurry of wet pate food. I don't leave it out for more then two-three hours, though it is usually long gone by then. It really depends on the temperature, 75 degree inside house....3 hours, outside and hotter, less.When it's in the 40's I leave it out much longer. Use your judgement. I hope your kitty does well, they often continue to eat hard food when all of the teeth are gone. Cats have a tendency to swallow much of their food whole. All the luck!