Question Of The Day, Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe in ghosts... I've encountered several in the past, the benevolent kind and the other kind which are much scarier. Many years ago, I shacked up with a gal who had two kids, and on a return trip from the bathroom I looked over to see a woman sitting on one bed and leaning over the little girl in a loving manner... thought it was my girlfriend, till I rounded the corner of the master bedroom and saw HER reading in bed. It was a trip, and I immediately walked back into the kids' room, but the woman was gone. My girlfriend told me that an elderly woman had died in the home, and this was surely the ghost of that woman, but she seemed benign, no spooky or threatening behavior on her part.

Back in the old beach cottage, I was lying awake and reading in bed late one night when I heard shuffling footsteps (like house slippers) in the adjoining kitchen, and the water tap briefly turned on... got up and looked, but the kitchen was entirely dark, so I walked the other way into my elderly mom's room, and she was lying in bed all wrapped up in blankets, NO WAY she could've returned the roundabout way through the house and beat me to her room. That was a trip, but there were other signs of paranormal activity in that old house: I recall a wooden mask my dad bought in Africa, had it in my room for decades with no problems, then it started MOVING AROUND ON ITS OWN. One day it was propped up on a shelf, another day I found it upside down in another location, which was creepy. I took an ax to that mask and burned the pieces, just to get rid of the evil spirit.

I've had other strange experiences, but I'm not the kind who easily scares... I'll investigate weird events just to see if I can catch the ghost red-handed, so to speak. Funny thing, when I bought my home in Show Low, it was a fixer but I felt no weird or creepy sensations from sleeping in various rooms... however, this big Native American guy who was helping me paint the interior (on a rush job so I could get the carpet installed), HE thought the home felt strange, and he even offered to perform a native cleansing ritual with burning cedar smoke and the traditional handheld fan. I readily agreed (why not?), and the following morning we opened all interior doors and cabinets... my friend lit some cedar shavings on a saucer, then fanned the smoldering shavings while walking from room to room and speaking a few words, his intonations quite solemn. Afterward, he invited me to say a few words, and I bid all spirits to be on their way... later, my friend said that the house felt "lighter" and I'd be happy there, which I was. Maybe Native Americans are more sensitive to such ghostly presences, I never felt spooked or threatened prior to the ceremony but I also recall NOT sleeping in the back room, dunno why but I never felt like sleeping there.

Anyway, I'd think twice before I bought a home which was reportedly haunted... if I felt an evil presence during a tour of the home, I'd continue my search for a home elsewhere. If it were some benevolent or harmless ghost, then no worries... as long as it didn't raid the fridge and drink all my beer, we'd get along alright, LOL. Same goes for the booze behind my bar... drunken ghosts are verboten, they might start breaking up furniture and smashing crockery, no future in that when I'm trying to sleep. Now, if the ghost came with a fat wallet or buried treasure, and he (or she) helped pay my utility bills & property taxes, why, that ghost would be perfectly welcome... if the ghost knew how to cook & clean, so much the better, LOL. :yess:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it was an evil or demonic spirit, then no. But if it was just a spirit that perhaps passed in the house and still wants to live there, OK. Especially if it was a good price in a good neighborhood.

I do believe in spirits. I won't go into everything, but one of my cats passed in my arms. She always walked on my pillow. A few days after her passing, I felt something by my head - touching my hair. No windows open or AC on. I know it was her spirit saying goodby and letting me know she was OK.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a house that had spirits so it doesn't really bother me. I would definitely not buy a house that had a malevolent entity residing in it, though.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's getting to be that time of year again, when our thoughts lightly turn to ghosts in the attic and monsters under the bed! MY time of year!

So...would you ever buy a known "haunted" house? Yes, no, maybe? What questions would you ask ahead of time?

I would. I have no problems with living with those who aren't. Living, that is. And I do live with two cat spirits already. The most trouble they cause is going wild playing with Hekitty around dawn some mornings. And yes, it is very obvious that she is playing with someone, not just solitary cat games.
Sure, why not?
But, the second I see swarms of flies, "redrum' written in blood on the wall, notice an unsettling looking clown doll sitting in a chair at the end of my bed, or have a ghost bartender tell me my wife must be "corrected" I'm getting the hell out of there.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have a spirit living with us when I was younger. He actually followed my family to another house (without me) and was very protective of my sister. Unfortunately, he seems to have moved on.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already experienced living with spirits. One was what I pictured as a mean old man (coincidentally my sister also had the same image of him, we never actually saw him), and the other (who several people saw) was a young boy.
The old man was mean and tried to scare us and terrorized my poor cat. I told him off on so many occasions, the bad mojo would lift and things felt peaceful...until he decided to be an @ss again. The little boy was fine, he usually was running around almost like playing hide and seek.
So all this to say. Haunted? Sure, but only after I got the "feel" of the house to make sure whoever it is, is not mean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I dunno i cant decide if i would, depending on the type of haunted house, like if it was a haunted house possesed by demonic entities then the answer would be hell no way.

But in saying that i would buy a haunted house if it was really cheap. I guess it depends what is haunting it.
Well, strictly speaking, demons don't "haunt." They possess or infest. And I wouldn't go near a house infested. GHOSTS, now, or spirits, if you prefer, are generally more or less benign, and all can be dealt with to one degree or another. I've never lived with a negative spirit, but I know how to go about neutralizing them. My only human spirit currently is David (that's just what I call him), who appears to be an ancestor of mine, and who is, I believe, a guardian. He follows me from place to place. I'm the last person born with my family name, so I think that when I go, he will go as well.