QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've had more dental appointments this past year than I can count but not because I ignore my dental health. I brush and floss regularly but I guess genetics are not on my side. So for today's Question of the Day:

WHAT TYPE OF TOOTHBRUSH DO YOU USE? Manual, Electric, Battery Operated, etc.
HOW MANY TIMES A DAY DO YOU BRUSH AND/OR FLOSS?
HOW OFTEN DO YOU GO FOR A DENTAL CLEANING?

I brush my teeth three times a day and floss once or twice. I use a special manual toothbrush from the dental hygienist. This works best for me. I get my teeth cleaned every six months.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a manual one.
I should really take better care of my teeth, but I'm really struggling with it. I think I'm average I brush my teeth 3-4 times a week, I know it's bad 😅
I have a flossing spree about a week before I have a dentist's appointment, flossing like 5 times in that week, while almost never doing so otherwise.
I have a dentist appointment every half year and don't go for additional cleaning or anything.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh... I have such a bad dental history. It is a combination of genetics and poor dentistry when I was younger..
I pretty much had a full dental restoration when I was in my 30's.... but now, it needs to be replaced and worse...

Currently, I use an electric toothbrush. An Oral B IO.. It was expensive, but, my hygienist strongly recommended it, especially for the gum care option. Previously, I had been using a disposable battery one.. the kind that mimics an electric toothbrush. It did a pretty good job, but they were getting difficult to find. I replaced mine every 3 months.

I brush and floss twice a day.

I am using Crest Dental Care rinse in the morning... and a fluoride rinse before bed, and I use GumCare toothpaste.

I have a cleaning every months; so 4 times a year.. because of gum disease.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Electric toothbrush, and I use it 3 times a day. I floss once a day. I also use Act alcohol free flouride swish before I go to bed. I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months, excepting last year due to the pandemic. Have not had any cavities in about 8 years. Guess my fastidiousness pays off. 🌺 :silver: 🌻

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We just switched from a Philips electric to Oral B. We like the Oral B better bc it seems to clean and polish better. It will also buzz if we're too hard on our gums. I brush twice a day, but man, I hate flossing. We visited the dentist for cleaning every six months until the pandemic hit. I'm due now, actually overdue.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I use an electric rotary and I love it. I used to have an electric that went up and down and I hated it as it seemed to splash everywhere. I brush once a day and floss a couple times a week. Usually I get my teeth cleaned every six months but due to COVID I went almost a year and a half. Surprisingly my gums were in great health, so much so that they hygienist suggested I could just get my teeth cleaned once a year.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a child's size manual toothbrush. One of the hygenists at my dentist's office suggested it to help get in the tighter areas and it works well. Someone there convinced my DH to buy one of the expensive electric brushes they sell; and he hates it. :rolleyes2: I floss once a day and brush twice. I know you can actually do damage brushing too hard too often so I don't want to go overboard. I get cleanings twice a year.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a manual toothbrush and only brush once a day and sometimes use listerine. I only remember to floss if something is stuck in my teeth.

I have a dental phobia so I never go more than once a year. I went four years between once. That was my first cavity. My second was this one after a year and a half gap due to covid, probably because of the insane amount of sweets I ate during pregnancy, lol.

So I should take better care, but I've been lucky.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really bad about brushing my teeth. When I was depressed, brushing my teeth was not something that was important to me and I couldn't use what little energy I had to do it. I would go weeks without doing it. Surprisingly I've only had 2 cavities my entire life. Now, brushing my teeth is still an issue, but more because I'm working from home and I don't have a routine like I did when I worked out of the house. I would brush before work, but now it's less frequent unfortunately. I use a manual brush, by the way, and go to the dentist every 6 months, although I haven't gone in over a year because of the pandemic. Since I'm vaccinated, I should make an appointment now.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently brush with a manual, but have used electric. I brush up to 3 times a day, but at least once, usually twice, and I floss a few times a week. How often I brush depends on my work schedule. I always brush in the morning, but If I work in the afternoon, I will brush again before I leave for work. If it's my longer (morning/day) shifts where I eat a lunch, I will brush after eating. Sometimes, I'll brush before bed...but I often forget that one.
I fell off the wagon on this and need to start again, but I also have done what's called "oil pulling". I found it worked really well at preventing plaque/tartar build up. When I would do it, I never experienced that "fuzzy teeth" feeling that would sometimes happen in the morning.
It's been 16 or 17 years since I've been to a dentist.....:paperbag:
The last time I went, it had been almost 5 years and the hygienist looked at my chart and said that we may have to schedule a second cleaning because she probably wouldn't have enough time to do a thorough job. While doing my cleaning, she was amazed at how great my teeth were...I didn't need the second appointment...
I keep saying I need to go in, but I HATE the dentist. Thankfully, I have great teeth and don't really have any issues.

I really want to get a waterpik....anyone else use one?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use a battery operated toothbrush but keep meaning to get a better quality one. My dentist told me to use one. I brush and floss twice a day religiously and see the dentist every 4 months. I kept appointments with any doctor whose office was still up and running even during the pandemic. I never used any mouthwash. I am picky about ingredients so I have a lot of toothpastes....conventional ones, fluoride free, preservative free, etc. I have good teeth, from my dad. My mom had miserable teeth, mostly capped, bridges etc.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a manual toothbrush and brush twice a day. I don't floss unless something is stuck in my teeth, which is actually fairly often. I always use Pro Health mouthwash after I brush to keep my gums healthy. I've had problems with my gums, and a few years ago, I spent $10,000 on my teeth - no insurance. That included one tooth removal, an implant, and gum surgery. So I take care of my teeth assiduously. A hygienist cleans my teeth every three months.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHAT TYPE OF TOOTHBRUSH DO YOU USE? Manual.
HOW MANY TIMES A DAY DO YOU BRUSH AND/OR FLOSS? Brush at least twice a day. Floss once a day, before bed
HOW OFTEN DO YOU GO FOR A DENTAL CLEANING? usually every 6 months