Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 20, 2024

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had one although I should. I've had 2 major (5cm) abscesses in my colon.
Problem is, the insurance has no problem paying for one as long as nothing is found. If something is found, they will not pay for the colonoscopy. Something about it's then a different issue which they didn't approve.
I don't have that kind of money for that bill.
That is ridiculous but not surprising. I am guessing if they find a polyp it will be removed and it is then surgery rather than preventative care. I do medical billing and it is turning into a maze. When I first started billing someone told me insurance companies aren't in business to pay claims they are in business to make money.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Yep, two. The colonoscopy itself is nothing. You go out like a light switch has been flipped and wake up in what seems like a few minutes later. The unpleasant part is the prep because of the stuff you have to drink. Not tasty. And, of course, you probably want to stay home during the, uh, cleansing part. :biggrin:

I have a strategy for avoiding the taste of the stuff you have to drink:
  • Make it really cold (doctor’s suggestion)
  • Use a straw ( helps get it past your taste buds and directly to your throat)
  • Rinse your mouth with mouthwash or toothpaste (deadens the tastebuds for a bit)

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first colonoscopy I had to drink that nasty stuff but for my last one, the doctor recommended using Miralax to clean me out. What a difference in the experience for the better.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a newer prep called SuPrep but depending on your insurance it can have a high copay. It is only two small glasses of the "solution" but it still tastes bad. I have to get lemon popsicles and immediately put one in my mouth as soon as I swallow. Has to be lemon so no color is involved. Italian ices work as well but the point is not to eat one, but to just help you get the prep down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There is a newer prep called SuPrep but depending on your insurance it can have a high copay. It is only two small glasses of the "solution" but it still tastes bad.
I kept the prep kit instructions I had 10 yrs. ago and thought it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. Sure enough it was Suprep.
It was a clear liquid and I was able to chug it down without a problem. I just closed my eyes and thought, "down the hatch." :biggrin:

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had one although I should. I've had 2 major (5cm) abscesses in my colon.
Problem is, the insurance has no problem paying for one as long as nothing is found. If something is found, they will not pay for the colonoscopy. Something about it's then a different issue which they didn't approve.
I don't have that kind of money for that bill.
I will never understand the healthcare in some countries! In the Netherlands we all have standard healthcare, it costs around 150 euros a month but if you have low income the government pays about 130 of that. And everything outside of the standard care, so hospital visits and medicine and stuff will cost you up to a max of 400 euros a year. If you've paid the 400 for lets say a colonoscopy. The rest of the year everything else you do that's medically necessary is free. Without that I would never be able to afford my hip replacement at 24 years lol. Don't get why america doesn't have a system like that

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son in law had his first colonoscopy at age 55 and they found stage 4 cancer. After surgery, and 6 months of chemo he is finally cancer free, but a follow up colonoscopy found two more polyps. non cancerous. He had no symptoms!
I have been through two now, ten years apart, absolutely no polyps. Blood tests, smears, etc. are just not accurate enough to chance it. The clean out is the worst, but I absolutely refused to drink that gallon of stuff like a lot of people get, I got a small bottle of stuff to drink and some constipation relief pills.
It's unpleasant, but something everyone should do, don't let something curable kill you!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first colonoscopy I had to drink that nasty stuff but for my last one, the doctor recommended using Miralax to clean me out. What a difference in the experience for the better.
They make that stuff in flavors now (strawberry, berry splash, lemon, etc..) although I've never had any of it. Someone told me once that they keep a couple of bottles around in case their kids are constipated. They have a small glass and everything comes out alright. Never tried it though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to have one when I had my abdominal surgery. I don't get them anymore. I would refuse Chemo & radiation anyway. I will just try to stay healthy & live out my natural life. No tests besides yearly blood test.