Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 20, 2024

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :lovecat3: There’s been a lot of discussion lately whether on the news or other media sources because March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. I had one colonoscopy 10 years ago and due for another in 2024. I was undecided but now plan to make an appointment. Regular screening, beginning at age 45, is the key to preventing colorectal cancer. There is a new blood test that will screen for this type of cancer and it’s expected to be approved later this year. However, it does not have quite as high a percentage of detecting colon cancer as a colonoscopy.

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A COLONOSCOPY? WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE THE TRADITIONAL COLONOSCOPY OR A BLOOD TEST?

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never had one since I'm only 23! I would do it when I'm older though just to be sure. Hopefully they'll improve the blood testing method by then so it will be just as viable as a normal colonoscopy.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had one yet, as I'm under 45. I'll do whatever my doctor recommends.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't had one yet, but when the time comes where I reach of age (Or ever have any suspicious systems before that) I'll gladly have one. Health is health! In terms of preference I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had 2 colonoscopies, ten years apart. I would also choose another one vs. the blood test unless my doctor thought it would better to do the blood test.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, not yet. I'll probably get one before this decade is over, but not really looking forward to it. And I would probably opt for the colonoscopy over blood test if that's the one that is better. Besides, if you do have polyps, that gets taken care of during the colonoscopy...they can't remove polyps with just a blood test.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two, the most recent being a few years ago. Probably my last one given my age. I would not do the cologard because of the potential for false positive or falst negatives. The colonoscopy is not really that bad, once you get over having to drink all that yucky stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would probably opt for the colonoscopy over blood test if that's the one that is better. Besides, if you do have polyps, that gets taken care of during the colonoscopy...they can't remove polyps with just a blood test.
EXACTLY, you're very wise. :thumbsup: Colon cancer is serious and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had colonoscopies because my mom died young of colon cancer. In my case, as recommended by my gastroenterologist, I would not do the blood test. I also don't do the fecal sample tests. There is a difference between an actual blood test that labs like Guardant are now doing versus the fecal blood/DNA tests. Guardant is looking for circulating tumor DNA and if they find it you still need a colonoscopy. The fecal tests are reliable for that sample, meaning that if the markers are not found in that particular one, it does not mean that they don't exist and might not have been found if the test were done two days later.

https://www.cityofhope.org/whats-be...upporter_Breakthroughs_CCYoungAdults_20240314
This article was posted on Monday by City of Hope. The rise in colorectal cancer in younger people is very alarming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have had colonoscopies because my mom died young of colon cancer.
I'm so sorry, please accept my sincere sympathies. :hugs:

The rise in colorectal cancer in younger people is very alarming.
I agree, just the other day I saw one of my favorite anchors on ABC News say she was diagnosed with colon cancer at 41 yrs. old.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had one although I should. I've had 2 major (5cm) abscesses in my colon.
Problem is, the insurance has no problem paying for one as long as nothing is found. If something is found, they will not pay for the colonoscopy. Something about it's then a different issue which they didn't approve.
I don't have that kind of money for that bill.